Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Advice on Illegal UK Eviction  (Read 2211 times)

• Liked: 55
Advice on Illegal UK Eviction
« on: April 30, 2018, 08:55:51 PM »
Hi I was wondering if anyone had any advice on illegal evictions in the UK. A family friend sponsored my accommodation for my UK Visa and provided a letter with the terms of our lease for my application.

The owner of the property didn't live with us in the flat but his son did. His son decided to kick us out of the flat with no notice (because I wouldnt do his laundry) and my husband and I decided to move out just to spare ourselves the drama and abuse that he was giving me/us.

Any ideas on how to report this? This has greatly affected my stay here as my letter of accommodation stated that we were allowed to stay there until we felt comfortable financially to leave.

• Liked: 1892
Re: Advice on Illegal UK Eviction
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2018, 03:18:54 PM »
Hi I was wondering if anyone had any advice on illegal evictions in the UK. A family friend sponsored my accommodation for my UK Visa and provided a letter with the terms of our lease for my application.

The owner of the property didn't live with us in the flat but his son did. His son decided to kick us out of the flat with no notice (because I wouldnt do his laundry) and my husband and I decided to move out just to spare ourselves the drama and abuse that he was giving me/us.

Any ideas on how to report this? This has greatly affected my stay here as my letter of accommodation stated that we were allowed to stay there until we felt comfortable financially to leave.

The Citizens Advice Bureau is generally pretty good at advising people of their rights in these situations. 

What would you like?  Doesn't sound like they owe you money, or you want to move back in.  You just want to report? 

• Liked: 342
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2018, 03:48:39 PM »
The local council might have staff whose job it is to deal with the bad landlords and take them to court for harassment, IF it was an illegal eviction. However, when you rent a room in someone’s home where they live, you might not have the same laws to protect you as someone who has a Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreement.

Try that local council to see if they have hired staff to deal with the bad landlords as they will know. The landllordzone is a forum where the good landlords are and they keep up to date with all the laws.

Your local CAB might not have staff who know the housing laws and they could be wrong, but you could try looking on the national CAB site. Or look on the site of Shelter for the country that you live in as some housing laws in England are not the same as in say Scotland.
England
https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/private_renting/types_of_renting_agreement

« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 04:08:39 PM by Sirius »

• Liked: 55
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2018, 06:39:27 PM »
The local council might have staff whose job it is to deal with the bad landlords and take them to court for harassment, IF it was an illegal eviction. However, when you rent a room in someone’s home where they live, you might not have the same laws to protect you as someone who has a Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreement.

Try that local council to see if they have hired staff to deal with the bad landlords as they will know. The landllordzone is a forum where the good landlords are and they keep up to date with all the laws.

Your local CAB might not have staff who know the housing laws and they could be wrong, but you could try looking on the national CAB site. Or look on the site of Shelter for the country that you live in as some housing laws in England are not the same as in say Scotland.
England
https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/private_renting/types_of_renting_agreement

Thank you! I'm going to Citizens Advice tomorrow to see what I can do. My spouse is also unemployed so I'm trying to see if he's eligible for job seekers allowance. I know as a spouse we aren't allowed public funds but does anyone know if a british citizen spouse is allowed to get anything?

• Liked: 342
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2018, 12:01:44 PM »
Thank you! I'm going to Citizens Advice tomorrow to see what I can do. My spouse is also unemployed so I'm trying to see if he's eligible for job seekers allowance. I know as a spouse we aren't allowed public funds but does anyone know if a british citizen spouse is allowed to get anything?

Sorry for not seeing this. If he hasn't contributed in the last two relevant tax years, then he will need to see if he can claim income based benefits, but your salary comes into his benefit calculation on income based benefits. He can claim for himself but not get extra for you e.g. under age 35, than he could only take the single room rate and the couple rate of Housing Benefit.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab