Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Tired of Interviewing for Jobs  (Read 7358 times)

• Liked: 55
Tired of Interviewing for Jobs
« on: May 02, 2018, 09:21:31 PM »
Whats the average amount of time it has taken someone to get a job in the UK since moving here?

I've been looking and interviewing since I arrived here in December and have yet found something that pays remotely close to what I was making previously/or something where I've liked the company/employer.

I've never had this much difficulty finding a job before.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 10:40:53 AM by evyf »

• Liked: 3589
Re: Tired of Interviewing for Jobs
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2018, 09:27:20 PM »
It can take several months, possibly more than a year to find a job (it took me 2 years in the recession).

However, it’s unlikely you will find something that pays close to what you got in the US, because salaries are much lower in general here... a lot of people end up having to take about a 50% paycut for a similar job in the UK. Bear in mind that around 90% of the UK population earns less than about £40,000-45,000.

In the US, my job would pay around $70,000... yet salaries for the same job here in the UK are about 50-70% of that amount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 113
Tired of Interviewing for Jobs
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2018, 10:43:45 PM »
The salary bandwidths are much lower in the UK compared to their US counterparts so you have to be prepared to take a pay cut. For example, my husband was fortunate to move from their US to UK office since he works for a multinational financial consulting company. His job role & responsibilities didn’t change. He still works remotely, kept the same account, belongs to the same team, reports to the same boss (Stateside) etc. However, he had to take a pay cut from $135k to £65k (~$45k) because he was now considered a UK resource. Also, he moved to the Edinburgh vs London office and apparently salary bandwidths are also lower in Edinburgh compared to London. But the London bandwidth was still lower compared to his old US salary. That’s just the way it is. So it’s not really adviseable to reject a job offer because you’re comparing the salary to your old one in the US because you just won’t get that in the UK.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 10:44:48 PM by masonjohnsmum »
#1 NON-PRIORITY UNMARRIED PARTNER
Living together since Nov 2014, son born on Mar 2016
Decision: Refusal (70 BD)
#2 PRIORITY SPOUSE
Online Application: 18 Mar 2018
Decision Made Email: 03 May 2018
Received Passport: 07 May 2018 (APPROVED)
Entered UK: 10 May 2018
#3 NON-PRIORITY FLR(M)
Online Application: 6 Jan 2021
UKVCAS Biometric Appointment: 2 Feb 2021
Decision Made Email: 22 Mar 2021 (APPROVED)

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2018, 10:57:22 PM »
interesting. Thank you !

The salary bandwidths are much lower in the UK compared to their US counterparts so you have to be prepared to take a pay cut. For example, my husband was fortunate to move from their US to UK office since he works for a multinational financial consulting company. His job role & responsibilities didn’t change. He still works remotely, kept the same account, belongs to the same team, reports to the same boss (Stateside) etc. However, he had to take a pay cut from $135k to £65k (~$45k) because he was now considered a UK resource. Also, he moved to the Edinburgh vs London office and apparently salary bandwidths are also lower in Edinburgh compared to London. But the London bandwidth was still lower compared to his old US salary. That’s just the way it is. So it’s not really adviseable to reject a job offer because you’re comparing the salary to your old one in the US because you just won’t get that in the UK.

• Liked: 170
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2018, 11:18:30 PM »
interesting. Thank you !

This is universal here. As a teacher in my sixth year of teaching (and teaching at independents which paid above the maintained sector here), I was paid less than a new teacher in any state system in the USA...
2004-2008: Student Visa
2008-2010: Tier 1 PSW
2010-2011: Tier 4
2011-2014: Tier 2
2013-2016: New Tier 2 (changed jobs)
16/12/15: SET (LR) successful! - It's been a long road...
12/05/16: Citizenship ceremony!

• Liked: 955
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2018, 01:10:00 AM »
At least you're getting interviews! Salaries are different here, you won't make the same as you were. I've been looking since December and can't even get an interview, and I'm a SAS/BI programmer.

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2018, 07:11:50 AM »
Wow that’s quite unbelievable to me! What sites are you using to apply ?

I’m adjusting to the salary now even though it still shocks me 😱

I hope you get an interview soon :(

At least you're getting interviews! Salaries are different here, you won't make the same as you were. I've been looking since December and can't even get an interview, and I'm a SAS/BI programmer.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 10:41:44 AM by evyf »

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2018, 09:39:04 AM »
Wow that’s quite unbelievable to me! What sites are you using to apply ?

I’m adjusting to the salary now even though it still shocks me

I think once I hit the 6 month mark I may just ask for a promotion at my current employer

I hope you get an interview soon :(
I've been using indeed and LinkedIn. If I could work in London I'd be in better shape, or as a traveling consultant, but I'm also a disabled employee so some things I just can't do. As soon as they ask how I can legally work in the UK they stop calling me back. (I just say I have a BRP with full right to work.)

Do some research into salaries for your field. My husband is a java developer and slightly underpaid, but he'd be earning 80-100k in the US where I lived (more in big cities) and is happy with £40k here.

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2018, 09:44:28 AM »
I've been using indeed and LinkedIn. If I could work in London I'd be in better shape, or as a traveling consultant, but I'm also a disabled employee so some things I just can't do. As soon as they ask how I can legally work in the UK they stop calling me back. (I just say I have a BRP with full right to work.)

Do some research into salaries for your field. My husband is a java developer and slightly underpaid, but he'd be earning 80-100k in the US where I lived (more in big cities) and is happy with £40k here.

Check out Reed as well.

Can you register with a recruiter perhaps? Hoping they will call you about the one at my place! Can take ages for them to review though sometimes!
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2018, 09:50:41 AM »
Check out Reed as well.

Can you register with a recruiter perhaps? Hoping they will call you about the one at my place! Can take ages for them to review though sometimes!
I have registered with recruiters, but they put me forward for roles and no one ever brings me in for interviews. Being a disabled employee and an immigrant is a huge disadvantage, because I have to disclose the disability before an interview or its likely I'll have to leave if the interviewer is wearing a gallon of perfume/cologne  (which has happened multiple times in the US). My experience was also entirely in the mortgage industry that's specific to the US so if they don't consider the data skills that are completely transferable I'll forever be out of luck.

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2018, 10:01:11 AM »
I have registered with recruiters, but they put me forward for roles and no one ever brings me in for interviews. Being a disabled employee and an immigrant is a huge disadvantage, because I have to disclose the disability before an interview or its likely I'll have to leave if the interviewer is wearing a gallon of perfume/cologne  (which has happened multiple times in the US). My experience was also entirely in the mortgage industry that's specific to the US so if they don't consider the data skills that are completely transferable I'll forever be out of luck.

Ahh fair enough :(
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 6109
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2018, 10:12:12 AM »
Whats the average amount of time it has taken someone to get a job in the UK since moving here?

I've been looking and interviewing since I arrived here in December and have yet found something that pays remotely close to what I was making previously/or something where I've liked the company/employer.

I've never had this much difficulty finding a job before and I'm really happy that I kept my job from back home.

Evy, it looks like you're living in the UK and working in the US? Just checking that you have your HMRC situation under control?  :)

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2018, 10:35:44 AM »
What does that mean exactly?

Evy, it looks like you're living in the UK and working in the US? Just checking that you have your HMRC situation under control?  :)

• Liked: 6109
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2018, 10:47:25 AM »
What does that mean exactly?

If you are a UK resident, you are likely to have to complete a self assessment tax return in the UK to declare your foreign income.

https://www.gov.uk/tax-foreign-income

And if you are employed as opposed to self employed, there's quite a bit more to it in terms of labour law, but that is well beyond my level of understanding.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 10:52:12 AM by larrabee »

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2018, 12:05:06 PM »

What kind of a job are you looking for?  If it's techmical, I recommend www.jobserve.com

I've been looking for a new contract for a few weeks now and I haven't had any interviews.  The thing is, you always think "this is taking forever, maybe it's not going to happen" until just when you get the call.

Also, be prepared for everything to take a long time even after they say they want to hire you.  For a bank, expect three weeks or more. 

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab