Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Tired of Interviewing for Jobs  (Read 7356 times)

• Liked: 955
Re: Tired of Interviewing for Jobs
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2018, 09:48:55 AM »
I just got off the phone with a recruiter and I was so thankful they asked "will you require any visa sponsorship?" vs "how are you legally able to work here?"... Much easier and less prone to discrimination to be able to say a fast no than have to explain why/how you've moved here.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2018, 09:51:40 AM »
I've been looking to work in marketing and also working in the fitness industry as a manager. Thanks for the advice! Trying to be patient

Where in the UK are you?  I work for a marketing company.

• Liked: 55
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2018, 10:00:40 PM »
Where in the UK are you?  I work for a marketing company.

Thanks for your response! I'm in London :)

« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2018, 10:04:32 PM »
I have noticed this time around finding a new contract that people are very concerned with my immigration status.  Previously I would just say "I've got a visa and employing me is just like employing a UK person" and that was good enough.  Now they seem to be very nervous and ask a lot of questions.  They are not sure what to ask or even what to do with the answers, but feel they must gather information to give to Theresa May if she asks.  Of course, they are entering an agreement with my company, and my company manages the visas for it's employees.  These people are my potential clients, NOT potential bosses, so I really want to say NUNYA damn business. 

Good luck anyway, I don't have any practical advice for marketing or fitness.  I can tell you that it will eventually get better .

Thank you so much! I'm trying to be patient *fingers crossed

« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2018, 10:09:10 PM »
You're probably stuck in that loop of not having any UK work experience, but you can't get UK work experience until someone actually hired you.

Have you looked into doing some volunteering?

It took me working 6 horrible months at a terrible company earning minimum wage to get a job at a company doing what I wanted. And I'm currently on a pretty good salary for my location.

Great suggestion. But I have loads of volunteer work and unpaid intern experience on my CV already.

« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2018, 10:10:30 PM »
marketing as well seems to be reallllyyy hard to get into over here specifically without all the appropriate UK work experience and relevant certifications unless you want to work for peanuts.

What I find doesn't help either is when they will mislead you with the job title. I went for a "marketing" interview and it turned out it was actually just sales. And not even in an office type sales...like handing out pamphlets type sales. NOPE.

My favourite is going to an interview and having them right away ask you what your salary expectations are before discussing what the actual position entails

« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2018, 09:22:13 AM »
Thanks for your response! I'm in London :)

We don't have any offices in London, all outside the M25 I'm afraid.

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2018, 09:36:37 AM »
My favourite is going to an interview and having them right away ask you what your salary expectations are before discussing what the actual position entails

That always makes me uncomfortable because I think "my salary expectation may change depending on what you're expecting me to do...."
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 85
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2018, 10:44:19 AM »
Are you working with any particular agencies, or are you direct-applying? I know agents are a pain, but I quite like that they have that direct line in, so you don't have to explain your visa status etc, and can focus on talking about the work. Aspire is a good one in London for you general industry: https://www.weareaspire.com

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2018, 11:02:13 AM »
That always makes me uncomfortable because I think "my salary expectation may change depending on what you're expecting me to do...."

That's a perfectly reasonably answer.  "I'm not sure I know enough the role to say yet."

My answer is always "I'm not sure, what salary range did you have in mind?"

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2018, 11:15:34 AM »
That's a perfectly reasonably answer.  "I'm not sure I know enough the role to say yet."

My answer is always "I'm not sure, what salary range did you have in mind?"

I usually go with "I'm flexible depending on the role/responsibilities and if it's the *right* role, but ultimately my goal is to go up in pay..." That usually makes them happy enough.
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2018, 06:52:09 PM »

I had a meeting today with a potential new client. All seemed fine for the technical bit , then they sent in the mananger guy who was a total jerk.  Told me that core hours are 9-5 but like every company, "we want more.  I usually come in around 7:30 and work until after 5. ".  He waffled negatively about me coming in early and leaving early like I like to do and made it clear he wasn't going to be flexible about anything.  I couldn't stand being in the room with him for 15 minutes, much less 40 hours per week.

I'm afraid they failed the interview!  Tough luck jerk.

• Liked: 537
« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2018, 06:52:53 PM »
Great suggestion. But I have loads of volunteer work and unpaid intern experience on my CV already.

Yes... But is it volunteer work or internships in the UK? Because all that stuff is just in the US otherwise and doesn't show any UK work experience.

Which is the catch 22 for some companies. No UK work experience but can't get a job in the UK to get said work experience.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2018, 07:02:01 PM »
I had a meeting today with a potential new client. All seemed fine for the technical bit , then they sent in the mananger guy who was a total jerk.  Told me that core hours are 9-5 but like every company, "we want more.  I usually come in around 7:30 and work until after 5. ".  He waffled negatively about me coming in early and leaving early like I like to do and made it clear he wasn't going to be flexible about anything.  I couldn't stand being in the room with him for 15 minutes, much less 40 hours per week.

I'm afraid they failed the interview!  Tough luck jerk.

Some companies forget that the interview is also for the employee!

• Liked: 669
« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2018, 07:08:09 PM »
So the Daughter applied for a job. Next afternoon there was a call for her -they wanted her to come in the very next morning at one of two times. Daughter was busy with pre-arranged obligations all day, but switched out lunches with someone so she could do the interview with no prep time. They said they wanted to make a decision within a week and would let her know. She thought the interview went well enough.  She sent a "thank you for the interview time" email, got a pleasant response.

Days went by. Nothing. After a full week she phoned, but got voicemail. Left word that she was still interested in the job, was curious if they'd made a decision yet, because she had to plan some travel and was holding off until she heard one way or the other from them.  No phone call or email in response.

Has now been another week, absolutely nothing from them. At this point she's pretty much decided that if they are that rude and treat their prospective employees that badly, she probably doesn't want to work  for them anyway. It's not a large company, but a smaller shop that is part of a small chain.

Question: Is it standard here for a company to say they'll make the decision in a week and will let you know, and then not bother to even send a "thanks-but-no-thanks" email?

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab