Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Missing home...and also not.  (Read 3259 times)

• Liked: 533
Re: Missing home...and also not.
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2018, 07:39:44 AM »
I've had several customer complaints at work and I think it is largely because of how I come across as an American. I don't over thank and over apologize.

Are you from New York, or Georgia?

New York: Yo, jerk-face, are yuse gonna put it in the mail, or not?

Georgia: My goodness Miss Edna, if your hip is feeling better, it sure would smooth out the descrepency if you could pop that in the mailbox, sugar. Bless your heart. How're Jim and the kids?
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 768
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2018, 07:42:56 AM »
Are you from New York, or Georgia?

New York: Yo, jerk-face, are yuse gonna put it in the mail, or not?

Georgia: My goodness Miss Edna, if your hip is feeling better, it sure would smooth out the descrepency if you could pop that in the mailbox, sugar. Bless your heart. How're Jim and the kids?
Lol. Nope. Born and raised in Florida but moved here from North Carolina.

I was told by a co-worker,  she thought I thought I was better than everyone else when I first started but she realised that wasn't actually how I am after she got to know me. It's just the American way I talk.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• Liked: 533
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2018, 10:14:16 AM »
It's weird.

I keep reading about Megan Markle rubbing people the wrong way. I don't see it at all.
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2018, 10:14:55 AM »
It's weird.

I keep reading about Megan Markle rubbing people the wrong way. I don't see it at all.

Oh, I do!  ;D

Perhaps you don't see it because you are a boy?  ;D

• Liked: 261
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2018, 07:14:43 PM »
http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=93636.msg1230703#msg1230703

Wow...actually that's really pretty spot on. I suppose the good news is it will pass with time!
Applied online: 22 June, 2017
Biometrics and Docs mailed: 23 June, 2017
Arrived in Sheffield (via UPS): 26 June, 2017
Email confirmation from Sheffield: 11 July, 2017
"not straightforward" Email: 2 August, 2017
Unsolicited additional documents: 14 August, 2017
Decision made: 25 September, then revoked
Second Decision: 25 October, 2017
Docs returned: 30 October, 2017
Flight to UK: 2 November, 2017

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2018, 07:28:05 PM »
Wow...actually that's really pretty spot on. I suppose the good news is it will pass with time!

Hey RD, how are you?  :D

• Liked: 261
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2018, 08:17:53 PM »
Hey RD, how are you?  :D

Hi larrabee!

Doing alright. Enjoying what I am daily assured is a complete freak of nature in terms of really nice weather and zero rain  ;D Actually kind of feels like home (but still cooler)!

The cure for culture shock/anxiety/weirdness is working lots and traveling more-or at least I have less time to notice  :D

How are you?
Applied online: 22 June, 2017
Biometrics and Docs mailed: 23 June, 2017
Arrived in Sheffield (via UPS): 26 June, 2017
Email confirmation from Sheffield: 11 July, 2017
"not straightforward" Email: 2 August, 2017
Unsolicited additional documents: 14 August, 2017
Decision made: 25 September, then revoked
Second Decision: 25 October, 2017
Docs returned: 30 October, 2017
Flight to UK: 2 November, 2017

« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2018, 08:37:22 PM »
Hi larrabee!

Doing alright. Enjoying what I am daily assured is a complete freak of nature in terms of really nice weather and zero rain  ;D Actually kind of feels like home (but still cooler)!

The cure for culture shock/anxiety/weirdness is working lots and traveling more-or at least I have less time to notice  :D

How are you?

Ha! Yes, loving the weather we're having. I'm almost starting to take it for granted which can't be a good thing!   ;D

• Liked: 3
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2018, 09:16:37 PM »
Just curious if anyone else has had a similar experience....

I've been here six months (just got confirmed in post at my now not-so-new job!) and the whole thing is just incredibly surreal. I started working three days after I landed (probably a mistake), having been apart for four months from my hubby...and its been go, go, go ever since. We are in Oxford, so I feel like if we're not running around seeing colleges and exploring the Cotswolds and flitting back and forth to London, then we're wasting time and missing opportunities. Of course we still have to do daily living..laundry and dishes and bills and work...but I just feel so anxious all the time.

People here have been lovely, save one or two exchanges, so that's not it...and I largely like my job. We cannot for the life of us find rented accommodation that allows pets, but we're in a nice apartment for the moment. In other words, I shouldn't be anxious-life is pretty good.

I also find myself really missing home (of course), but then also resistant to the barrage of people who want to visit!

Is it just the newness and expecting to be settled faster than I am? Anyone else know what I mean or am I just nuts? (It's okay if I'm nuts-that's an explanation in itself  ;D)

Hi

Maybe the adjustment has to do with several factors. Maybe you miss your family, maybe the reality of your time in the UK is different from how you envisioned it to be because you didn't take time once landing in the UK to see what interestingly fun things there are to do. Or it could be the pace of life where you came from compared to where you now live.

You can live in Hawaii and have all that beauty around you every day but if all you do is work will that existence really match what you wanted from living there? Maybe stop for a minute and truly enjoy being in Europe and that might help. And don't forget it takes time getting use to a new place especially if you've lived in a different country and culture for a very long time.

• Liked: 424
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2018, 10:42:00 PM »

And I’m in!  I’m close to Oxfordshire.

If we could get enough advance notice, we’re a bit far out but we’d sure love to come!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab