Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: exact link for national insurance number  (Read 706 times)

• Liked: 49
exact link for national insurance number
« on: May 05, 2018, 11:05:39 AM »
Hi! Just got my second visa today! Horray! As soon as my brp arrives I am ready to job hunt so I will be on here often! I read over the link at the top of the message board but I am not seeing exactly where I need to apply for my national insurance number. Am I looking in the wrong spot?
thx!

• Liked: 537
Re: exact link for national insurance number
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2018, 01:17:41 PM »
You have to wait until you get your BRP to apply for your NINo.

https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/hm-revenue-customs/contact/national-insurance-numbers

Once you have it you call the number on this link and they'll help you set up an in person appointment at your nearest JobCentre Plus to apply for it.
(ETA: I assumed you had a marriage settlement/fiance visa before? If you didn't you still call the number and they'll post you paperwork.)

Cheers
« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 01:27:46 PM by lyonaria »
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 49
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2018, 01:43:35 PM »
You have to wait until you get your BRP to apply for your NINo.

https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/hm-revenue-customs/contact/national-insurance-numbers

Once you have it you call the number on this link and they'll help you set up an in person appointment at your nearest JobCentre Plus to apply for it.
(ETA: I assumed you had a marriage settlement/fiance visa before? If you didn't you still call the number and they'll post you paperwork.)

Cheers
Thank you! Yes I had a fiancee Visa.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2018, 01:50:05 PM »
Thank you! Yes I had a fiancee Visa.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I did that too. The appointment isn't too long and where you'll have to go depends on where you live. I'm in the East Midlands and had to go to Nottingham to do mine, about 45 minutes away? They can only do it at specific JobCentre Pluses. So it's kind of annoying.  ::) You'll need your spouses NINo for your application, just an FYI.

It does take about a month to get. You can apply for jobs before you get it as long as the job isn't an online application that requires that number. But you want to get it ASAP since it's how they figure out how much to tax you.

Get it in your married name if that's what you plan to use in the UK. I got mine in my maiden name, as that's what's on my passport, but I was using my married name and I had to call HMRC to have them change it. Kind of a pain in the bum.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2018, 05:18:24 PM »
I did that too.

That's a lovely picture of you Lyonaria!  :D

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2018, 07:21:47 PM »
That's a lovely picture of you Lyonaria!  :D
Thanks, its a bit old. But I like it. My hair is getting ridiculously long... For me anyway.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab