Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Greetings from a potential citizen/resident  (Read 7693 times)

• Liked: 537
Re: Greetings from a potential citizen/resident
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2018, 09:56:48 PM »
any particular town you suggest I look at?

Depends on what you want.

Grand Junction is the largest city on the Western side. You might like Fruita or Palisade. Glenwood's good if you want the mountains. Rangely is a bit more of a Ranch town. Rifle is a bit in-between. Then there's tons of lite towns too.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2018, 10:13:00 PM »
Not necessarily. People have been trying to offer you alternatives, because we know how difficult adjusting to life in another country can be, even when you have spouses/family here as most of us do. But you are in a better position that we were because you have claim to British citizenship (actually sounds like you already are a BC and just need to get yourself a passport) so you don't need to bother with the time and expense of a visa. So why not plan an extended vacation to the UK? Travel around a bit, try out a few places, get a feel for life here and how far your money would go before you make a final decision? TBH I think your income would be enough for a quiet life in most places, not major cities but somewhere in the countryside. Maybe try Devon or Cornwall--they're not as cheap as the north or Scotland, but they are less remote while still being very rural and full of great villages where you might reinvent yourself. Or maybe Wales? Less expensive than England, and has some stunning scenery.

Anyway, you should at least give it a try. The US will still be there if things don't work out :).

Thank you for the suggestions. 

I am kind of in a position where just traveling isn't as much of an option, as out and out moving elsewhere.  mostly because of the stray dog I saved from being put to death, and can't just leave behind with anyone.  if I went on a trip, Sam would have to come with me.

I know, difficult!   lol

but I may give it a try once things settle down with my personal situation. 

I can start looking online at the places you suggested.  thanks again for those :)

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2018, 10:17:01 PM »
Awww, I’m sorry you’ve been dealt a shitty hand noneatall!

If you think the UK is right and want a quiet life, look at Northern England or Scotland.  Property is really expensive here compared to the US but will go much further up north.

Also consider west... Wales is beautiful and relatively affordable.  If you're looking to stay retired, your retirement income would stretch pretty far out in my neck of the woods, and the climate is warmer than Scotland's, though typically cooler than England and definitely wetter (in my experience so far).
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2018, 03:18:14 PM »
Also consider west... Wales is beautiful and relatively affordable.  If you're looking to stay retired, your retirement income would stretch pretty far out in my neck of the woods, and the climate is warmer than Scotland's, though typically cooler than England and definitely wetter (in my experience so far).

where specifically would you recommend?

• Liked: 149
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2018, 04:18:15 PM »
I live off of about $2200 a month in a fairly expensive town. It can be done, but there are certainly cheaper places to live. Exchange rate dependent......as usual.
Fred

« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2018, 04:35:49 PM »
I live off of about $2200 a month in a fairly expensive town. It can be done, but there are certainly cheaper places to live. Exchange rate dependent......as usual.

this rental listing looks interesting

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-64832743.html

mmmm,... tempting

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2018, 04:44:21 PM »

You did pay cash for your house though, I think, if I recall correctly. 

• Liked: 149
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2018, 05:36:02 PM »
You did pay cash for your house though, I think, if I recall correctly.
Yeah :) :).....there is that......we range between around £1000 a month up to %$*##&@&!! in a bad month. My point was.....if we can do it here in Harrogate, it should be a little cheaper in other places. Now.....if you put rent etc into the equation.....all bets are off. If £2000 is your total range for the month.....including rent......good luck.
Fred

• Liked: 718
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2018, 05:40:12 PM »
this rental listing looks interesting

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-64832743.html

mmmm,... tempting

Just a note that when renting you will also have to pay council tax. 
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 957
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2018, 12:39:08 AM »
we had thought about moving to Colorado before things went down the drain.  just way too much snow and can be way too remote.  have thought about off-grid in Pennsylvania or Tennessee, but not really stuck on any location yet.
Welcome to the board! I like the suggestions others have given - come for an extended trip and travel. There are so many beautiful places. :)

My aunt and uncle retired to Kodak Tennessee a few years ago and have been very happy. My dad is in a retirement community near Little Rock AK as well. I think you'll also find there are quiet places in the US where you can start fresh if you aren't quite up for a big overseas move after visiting for a while.

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2018, 09:12:30 AM »
Welcome :) (only seeing this thread sorry!). I am sorry things have played out for you the way they have.

I think a few other people have already touched upon it but if you're afraid of making a mistake, leave the door wide open for a return. Don't sell all your assets you can't easily recover until you know for sure you want to be here permanently.

In my opinion, which I know won't mean much, the only opportunity you are at risk of regretting will probably be not giving it a go. You may end up wondering "what if I had just...". If you have very few possessions, it'll make it even easier to up and go (there and back if you find you don't like it). if you have a few things that are too big to move right away and you don't want to sell them, put them in storage or ask if there's a person you trust that can hang on to them for a period of time. If you do move over, nothing is set in stone if you change your mind. Of course it could be a fair amount of money out the window, but that would be the worst case scenario.
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2018, 12:34:30 PM »
Welcome :) (only seeing this thread sorry!). I am sorry things have played out for you the way they have.

I think a few other people have already touched upon it but if you're afraid of making a mistake, leave the door wide open for a return. Don't sell all your assets you can't easily recover until you know for sure you want to be here permanently.

In my opinion, which I know won't mean much, the only opportunity you are at risk of regretting will probably be not giving it a go. You may end up wondering "what if I had just...". If you have very few possessions, it'll make it even easier to up and go (there and back if you find you don't like it). if you have a few things that are too big to move right away and you don't want to sell them, put them in storage or ask if there's a person you trust that can hang on to them for a period of time. If you do move over, nothing is set in stone if you change your mind. Of course it could be a fair amount of money out the window, but that would be the worst case scenario.

Thank you for the feedback. :)

I really don't have any "stuff", other than a pickup truck, two motorcycles, and a bunch of firearms that I had bought to leave for my kids.  With the way things seem to be going, all of those things will probably be sold off and the proceeds split.  My neighbor has already expressed interest in buying my mobile home, and it would be easy to sell anyway.

With that, the only thing I will have left to move, is my dog and some clothes. 

You've touched on the real issue for me:

"what if I had just..."

I gave up a lot for my family, both professionally and personally.  I had a lot of opportunities made available to me, and turned them down because of family.

I even had some extraordinary women express interest in me over the years, and I have always turned them away without question.  i never thought of leaving my wife and kids, and always put them before myself.

now that I have been betrayed by those I did my best to take care of, I want to try to "live" again.

I don't know if making such a drastic change would jump start it for me.  but I need to do something.

I think my biggest hurdle would be finding a reasonable place to live.  I should have about $60-70,000 of cash when all is said and done, and about $2,200-2,500 per month from my retirement income.  not a lot, but it will be just me.

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2018, 12:40:03 PM »

I don't know if making such a drastic change would jump start it for me.  but I need to do something.

The real question then is "What's the worst that could happen?". Seriously. If you move over here to the UK with your dog and clothes, what's the worst that happens? If you're able to get citizenship via your parent's and you change your mind, what have you truly lost? Ultimately, it sounds like in this instance it would just be some money you've lost. You're already selling up shop anyways with the exception of the dog and clothes so you wouldn't even be selling off items specifically for this move.

I definitely think now is the time to put yourself first. No more compromises. Do what is going to make you happy (or what you suspect may make you happy)assuming it is within your realistic reach. You won't be held hostage if you move over here and change your mind :) However, you may question why you didn't give it a go if you choose to stay in the US because you were afraid of the risk.
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2018, 12:45:49 PM »
The real question then is "What's the worst that could happen?". Seriously. If you move over here to the UK with your dog and clothes, what's the worst that happens? If you're able to get citizenship via your parent's and you change your mind, what have you truly lost? Ultimately, it sounds like in this instance it would just be some money you've lost. You're already selling up shop anyways with the exception of the dog and clothes so you wouldn't even be selling off items specifically for this move.

I definitely think now is the time to put yourself first. No more compromises. Do what is going to make you happy (or what you suspect may make you happy)assuming it is within your realistic reach. You won't be held hostage if you move over here and change your mind :) However, you may question why you didn't give it a go if you choose to stay in the US because you were afraid of the risk.

where have you been all my life?   :)

I know you are right.  I just need some things to be worked through before I make a final decision.  but that's also why I am asking, to see if it is actually doable..

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2018, 12:50:15 PM »

This really is great advice.  NOTHING in life has to be permanent.  And I know you were concerned about the move not being permanent with the dog - you'll find AirBnB rentals, etc., that will happily allow dogs.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab