Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: So, it's time to do it  (Read 3175 times)

• Liked: 4985
Re: So, it's time to do it
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2018, 05:42:11 PM »
Our son used this thing called a “book” that we bought for him in a place called a “bookstore”. It was by the Automobile Association and contained the Highway Code plus lots of test questions. He also went online to do test questions and practice for the video section of the test.

He also found a driving instructor that has an automatic car. He has been driving on his Texas licence for the last 7 months and should be going for his driving test soon. (He passed his theory test a few weeks back).

Oh Durhamlad!   ;D

• Liked: 154
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2018, 06:29:00 PM »
https://m.toptests.co.uk/mock-theory-test-2/

Use this link.  I compared it to the book and it was exactly the same. I’d give you my book but I just gave it to somebody at work :(.  This seriously helped me loads cause it’s the same format as the test centres.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Liked: 537
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2018, 10:21:41 PM »
Our son used this thing called a “book” that we bought for him in a place called a “bookstore”. It was by the Automobile Association and contained the Highway Code plus lots of test questions. He also went online to do test questions and practice for the video section of the test.

He also found a driving instructor that has an automatic car. He has been driving on his Texas licence for the last 7 months and should be going for his driving test soon. (He passed his theory test a few weeks back).

Haha. I had all the books,they just didn't work for me. The app was so much better for me as it is literally the questions they use on the tests. 😁
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 718
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2018, 10:31:38 PM »
Haha. I had all the books,they just didn't work for me. The app was so much better for me as it is literally the questions they use on the tests. 😁

It was a tongue-in-cheek option for nan since she said doesn’t have a mobile device for the app.  :D
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2018, 09:05:20 AM »

Yeah this is where I'm struggling with with the Life in the UK test lol The book is just SOOOO long. I stay focused more with the online quizzes.

I had bought something for the PC but some of the info wasn't quite right so I just ditched it lol
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2018, 09:11:24 AM »
Yeah this is where I'm struggling with with the Life in the UK test lol The book is just SOOOO long. I stay focused more with the online quizzes.

It's not just that it's so long, it's so very, very dry!

« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2018, 09:15:21 AM »
It's not just that it's so long, it's so very, very dry!

Yeah the combination kills me! haha
My, how time flies....

* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.

• Liked: 676
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2018, 10:58:50 AM »
https://m.toptests.co.uk/mock-theory-test-2/

Use this link.  I compared it to the book and it was exactly the same. I’d give you my book but I just gave it to somebody at work :(.  This seriously helped me loads cause it’s the same format as the test centres.

Coolies, thanks. Aside from having to look up "pelican", I've done pretty well so far.

• Liked: 718
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2018, 06:04:14 PM »

Coolies, thanks. Aside from having to look up "pelican", I've done pretty well so far.

Pelican crossings were around when I did my test in 1972, and since then Puffin and Toucan crossings have appeared so now there are Zebra, Pelican, Toucan AND Puffin crossings. Glad I don't have to take my test again  ???

Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 20
So, it's time to do it
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2018, 12:51:51 PM »
Nan, sorry I’m late to this party. I went through several instructors before I found “the one” His name is Tommy Automatic. Just kidding, I only know his first name, but he teaches on an automatic.

He teaches to Anniesland, and has been teaching for decades. He’s probably early 60’s. Now I googled test site pass rates and at the time Anniesland had the highest by a fraction of a percent.

Tommy is an older gentleman, very calm and I passed on my first try with only 2 minors! He doesn’t waste your time (My first instructor sat me on the side of the road the first session and read an outdated book to me gack!!) He was very stingy about letting me drive. Tommy gets you right behind the wheel, but if you’d rather not, he’d probably accommodate ie: pick you up and drive you to the practice area- he let me drive there

His number if you’d like to call him is 07971108402. I think he would remember me, a ditzy American who passed on the first try. (I get ditzy when nervous)

« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 12:56:47 PM by barbjones56 »

• Liked: 239
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2018, 01:57:56 PM »
I used the DVSA one and found the Hazard Perception Test training especially helpful.  I tucked the DVD set into Pass the Parcel last year and Rick Stephens snagged it.  I believe he has since passed his theory test, but I don't know how much that was owed to the DVD set.  Anyway, I recommend the set.  I got 48 out of 50 points on the main part and 69 out of 75 on the Hazard Perception, and the DVD set were all I used to study.

Is this the one you used @jfkimberly?

I’m sending off for the provisional tomorrow and starting lessons next week.
UK Spouse Visa (Priority)
Approved: 1 May 2018

FLR(M) Standard
Approved: 16 June 2021

ILR (SET M) Super Priority
Approved: 29 August 2023

• Moving to London area late 2019 - early 2020
    • Our band - Ockham's Razor
  • Liked: 42
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2018, 10:08:54 PM »
Yeah I was going through all the different tests on https://toptests.co.uk/   as well. I completed the first 6....

1. 76 % - 12 wrong, 38 correct
2. 74% - 13 wrong, 37 correct
3. 68% - 16 wrong, 34 correct
4. 84% - 8 wrong, 42 correct
5. 94% - 3 wrong, 47 correct
6. 88% - 6 wrong, 44 correct

And that was just by using what knowledge of driving I already have, common sense and remembering the correct answers from when I got them wrong previously.  And I know there are more mock tests on there. I just never went through the rest of them. I plan on redoing them all once I get over there to help refresh myself.

• Liked: 537
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2018, 07:18:19 AM »
Just get one of the apps for your theory test, they're £4.99 and the top two have every question they can ask. It's how I studied and passed mine this year since there are several hundred questions they can ask.

If you get the official DVLA Hazard and perception practice online they use CGI clips just like the test so you can get comfortable. The apps have clips too, the one I used had actual clips from a dash cam, which is how they used to be and I would have paid for the online one if I hadn't had a few days before my test when I realised. Haha.

Oh, and with those Hazard Perception clips, you don't have to click the hazard, just click anywhere at all when you see a hazard. I felt like an idiot when I figured that our. Haha.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2018, 09:30:59 AM »
Yeah I was going through all the different tests on https://toptests.co.uk/   as well. I completed the first 6....

1. 76 % - 12 wrong, 38 correct
2. 74% - 13 wrong, 37 correct
3. 68% - 16 wrong, 34 correct
4. 84% - 8 wrong, 42 correct
5. 94% - 3 wrong, 47 correct
6. 88% - 6 wrong, 44 correct

And that was just by using what knowledge of driving I already have, common sense and remembering the correct answers from when I got them wrong previously.  And I know there are more mock tests on there. I just never went through the rest of them. I plan on redoing them all once I get over there to help refresh myself.

Take it from my personal experience: don't try to be a hero and try to do it from memory of how you currently drive! lol I didn't properly study, I just whizzed through practise exams a few times and I had to take the test 3 times to pass. Study and take your time during the test (read everything carefully, don't skim it like I did) and you'll be fine. :)
My, how time flies....

• Liked: 20
So, it's time to do it
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2018, 08:03:17 PM »

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab