Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: So, it's time to do it  (Read 3178 times)

• Liked: 676
Re: So, it's time to do it
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2018, 08:34:31 PM »
Nan, sorry I’m late to this party. I went through several instructors before I found “the one” His name is Tommy Automatic. Just kidding, I only know his first name, but he teaches on an automatic.

He teaches to Anniesland, and has been teaching for decades. He’s probably early 60’s. Now I googled test site pass rates and at the time Anniesland had the highest by a fraction of a percent.

Tommy is an older gentleman, very calm and I passed on my first try with only 2 minors! He doesn’t waste your time (My first instructor sat me on the side of the road the first session and read an outdated book to me gack!!) He was very stingy about letting me drive. Tommy gets you right behind the wheel, but if you’d rather not, he’d probably accommodate ie: pick you up and drive you to the practice area- he let me drive there

His number if you’d like to call him is 07971108402. I think he would remember me, a ditzy American who passed on the first try. (I get ditzy when nervous)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks, Barb. As soon as I have my license I'll give him a call.

• Moving to London area late 2019 - early 2020
    • Our band - Ockham's Razor
  • Liked: 42
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2018, 09:05:56 PM »
don't try to be a hero and try to do it from memory of how you currently drive! lol I didn't properly study, I just whizzed through practise exams a few times and I had to take the test 3 times to pass. Study and take your time during the test (read everything carefully, don't skim it like I did) and you'll be fine. :)

Oh no no. I still plan on taking some driving classes as well because I'm the type the learns better when I have someone I can ask questions too. And while we have a lot of family that lives over there, they are not driving instructors and may not teach me the CORRECT way to do things. haha What I meant was taking the online courses over and over again will help thought with things like terminology. Like "pelican crossing" and "zebra crossing" and "junction box". All of those I had no clue what the were referring to but once I saw that answer I was like "Oh yeah, ok I know what that is."   So its stuff like that which the test will help me memorize.

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2018, 10:14:06 PM »
Oh no no. I still plan on taking some driving classes as well because I'm the type the learns better when I have someone I can ask questions too. And while we have a lot of family that lives over there, they are not driving instructors and may not teach me the CORRECT way to do things. haha What I meant was taking the online courses over and over again will help thought with things like terminology. Like "pelican crossing" and "zebra crossing" and "junction box". All of those I had no clue what the were referring to but once I saw that answer I was like "Oh yeah, ok I know what that is."   So its stuff like that which the test will help me memorize.

I will say that it got so much easier to answer the questions once I started driving lessons, especially on the questions regarding manual transmission.
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 537
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2018, 06:48:22 PM »
I will say that it got so much easier to answer the questions once I started driving lessons, especially on the questions regarding manual transmission.

I don't know remember any questions about manual transmissions?
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 718
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2018, 08:12:13 PM »

My son failed his theory test first time because of questions on using a manual transmission. He did a bit more reading and passed on the 2nd attempt and said that again there were questions on driving a manual transmission. He took his driving test this afternoon  in his automatic and passed first time. He is on night shift tonight so we celebrated with milk shakes. He has been in England  10 months now (moved to the USA when he was 4 and is now 36) and got a job within 6 weeks, bought a house within 12 weeks and now got a full driving licence. He is feeling very happy at the moment.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2018, 08:16:56 PM »
My son failed his theory test first time because of questions on using a manual transmission. He did a bit more reading and passed on the 2nd attempt and said that again there were questions on driving a manual transmission. He took his driving test this afternoon  in his automatic and passed first time. He is on night shift tonight so we celebrated with milk shakes. He has been in England  10 months now (moved to the USA when he was 4 and is now 36) and got a job within 6 weeks, bought a house within 12 weeks and now got a full driving licence. He is feeling very happy at the moment.

You didn't encourage him to sit the test in a manual? He'll only be able to drive automatics with that licence.

« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2018, 08:41:35 PM »
You didn't encourage him to sit the test in a manual? He'll only be able to drive automatics with that licence.

He has cerebral palsy which, among other things, affects his fine motor control, and it was an amazing achievement when he passed his test at all in Louisiana when he was 18 just 2 years after he came off anti-seizure drugs. Easy to buy automatics in England these days, he has no desire at all to learn to drive a manual.

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2018, 08:43:59 PM »
He has cerebral palsy which, among other things, affects his fine motor control, and it was an amazing achievement when he passed his test at all in Louisiana when he was 18 just 2 years after he came off anti-seizure drugs. Easy to buy automatics in England these days, he has no desire at all to learn to drive a manual.

Ah, I've not seen you mention that before. Fair enough.  :)

• Liked: 957
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2018, 10:52:15 PM »
Congrats to your son Durhamlad :) I want an automatic for similar reasons, but am attempting to learn manual if my legs will cooperate enough. If not I'll have to take the driving test in my car, or keep hunting for an automatic instructor.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2018, 07:43:15 AM »
Ah, I've not seen you mention that before. Fair enough.  :)

No worries, I’m sure I hadn’t mention his disabilities before. The instructor he used here in England this year teaches disabled folks to drive and the school car was not just an automatic it was also fitted with the bits and pieces to drive without pedals.

« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2018, 08:15:56 AM »
Congrats to your son Durhamlad :) I want an automatic for similar reasons, but am attempting to learn manual if my legs will cooperate enough. If not I'll have to take the driving test in my car, or keep hunting for an automatic instructor.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Thank you  :)

My wife said that she didn’t want to go back to manuals after 29 years of driving automatics so we bought an automatic when we got back even though I quite like manuals and have driven them plenty on visits back over the time we have been away.

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2018, 12:04:30 PM »

I always tend to tell people (obviously different in this scenario) to try manual to give yourself options, but if they really get stressed to the point it makes you feel horrible, just make it easy on yourself and go auto. Having an auto only license now a-days isn't as much of a struggle as I think it used to be. Autos are much more common now so not as limiting. The problem is more that they are fairly more expensive if you're looking to outright buy.

Meant about driving manual (like what gear to use for a particular scenario). I couldn't visualise it properly until I started my driving lessons and was putting it into practise and it made it easier to remember for the theory test.
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab