Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: "profile" section of a CV and how to emphasize right to work in UK  (Read 965 times)

• Liked: 30
Hi everyone! I finally have my BRP and permission to work in the UK so I am working on my CV. I am happy with how it is turning out so far except for this "profile"/about me snippet at the top. All of the examples I can find are from experienced job seekers, while I am a recent graduate (well, it's been a year, but you know how long this visa stuff takes). Does anyone have any tips on how to write this section and how to emphasize that you don't need sponsorship for the position?
Met: Aug 2013
Started Dating: Oct 2013
Engaged: Sept 2017
Online app submitted: 17 Oct 2017
Biometrics & mailed in: 20 Oct 2017
Received by Sheffield: 23 Oct 2017
Decision email:

• Liked: 4985
Re: "profile" section of a CV and how to emphasize right to work in UK
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2018, 04:15:08 PM »
Hi everyone! I finally have my BRP and permission to work in the UK so I am working on my CV. I am happy with how it is turning out so far except for this "profile"/about me snippet at the top. All of the examples I can find are from experienced job seekers, while I am a recent graduate (well, it's been a year, but you know how long this visa stuff takes). Does anyone have any tips on how to write this section and how to emphasize that you don't need sponsorship for the position?

What's your field?

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2018, 04:17:52 PM »
What's your field?

I am looking to get into project management, either through an entry level project management position or through analyst roles that incorporate project management.
Decision email:

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2018, 04:31:14 PM »
I am looking to get into project management, either through an entry level project management position or through analyst roles that incorporate project management.

IT Project management?  There's a lot of competition there. 

I've got this at the bottom of mine:

Citizenship: US, Indefinite Leave to Remain as Spouse of EU National.

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2018, 04:44:03 PM »
Solutions-focused and dynamic professional equipped with xxxx years of success contributing to the operational efficiency and effectiveness within diverse (industry) organizations.  American educated professional with unrestricted right to work within the United Kingdom.

Something like that.

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2018, 04:52:17 PM »
Solutions-focused and dynamic professional equipped with xxxx years of success contributing to the operational efficiency and effectiveness within diverse (industry) organizations.  American educated professional with unrestricted right to work within the United Kingdom.

Something like that.

Gawddammit, why didn't I have you write my husband's CV?  We wouldn't have spent 18 months being miserable!
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2018, 05:06:39 PM »
Gawddammit, why didn't I have you write my husband's CV?  We wouldn't have spent 18 months being miserable!

I can bullshit with the best of them.

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2018, 05:22:30 PM »

Something like that.

This sounds really good, I am definitely going to use this as a template/starting point! Thanks everyone for the help. As far as the first sentence, my biggest hurdle is that I don't have X years of experience, aside from projects I did while at Uni. I'm not sure how to emphasize that I have worked on projects without actually having any project based jobs.

I am aiming for IT project management, but I can't be too picky considering I am entry level. I am just north of London and can commute into London if I need to, so although competition will be tough, there are lots of options. 
Decision email:

• Liked: 957

This sounds really good, I am definitely going to use this as a template/starting point! Thanks everyone for the help. As far as the first sentence, my biggest hurdle is that I don't have X years of experience, aside from projects I did while at Uni. I'm not sure how to emphasize that I have worked on projects without actually having any project based jobs.

I am aiming for IT project management, but I can't be too picky considering I am entry level. I am just north of London and can commute into London if I need to, so although competition will be tough, there are lots of options.

There's a level below PM here called project coordinator some places, so keep your eyes out for that in your search. :) Do you have any PM certifications? I'd make that super clear on your CV if you do. And maybe focus on project based education and any internships you did? I'd look for recent graduate CV examples online.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

There's a level below PM here called project coordinator some places, so keep your eyes out for that in your search. :) Do you have any PM certifications? I'd make that super clear on your CV if you do. And maybe focus on project based education and any internships you did? I'd look for recent graduate CV examples online.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

Will do! I didn't take the CAPM back in the US because employers I spoke with said they were not familiar with anything but PMP, but I have extensively studied the PMBOK books and taken classes on them. I am planning on doing a Prince 2 foundation course here since I have seen it mentioned on several job postings. If nothing else, I figure it will give me a better understanding of how project styles differ between countries.
Decision email:

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2018, 10:41:05 AM »

Have you thought about taking some courses on Pluralsight?  It's free and could help you get some key words on your CV that UK companies recognize. 

Sponsored Links