Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: TOR form and visa question  (Read 320 times)

• Liked: 0
TOR form and visa question
« on: May 10, 2018, 06:29:46 PM »
I'm a US citizen with a UK partner both living outside of the UK. We are moving to the UK in two weeks and our movers have just asked us to fill in a TOR form. I'm concerned because it is requesting passport and visa information for all members of the household.

I had been planning on having my UK partner fill out the form because I do not currently have a UK visa. I am an Italian citizen, but I do not yet have my passport. I hope that I will get my EU passport before we move, and if I do not, I will leave the UK and go to Italy to get my national ID card within days of arriving.

That doesn't help me now, with this form. Is there going to be an issue with customs about the fact that I do not have a UK visa? Presumably by the time this gets processed I will have an EU passport, so can I submit a revised form then? Or can my partner just do it himself and leave my name off of it?

• Liked: 4985
Re: TOR form and visa question
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2018, 06:33:53 PM »
I'm a US citizen with a UK partner both living outside of the UK. We are moving to the UK in two weeks and our movers have just asked us to fill in a TOR form. I'm concerned because it is requesting passport and visa information for all members of the household.

I had been planning on having my UK partner fill out the form because I do not currently have a UK visa. I am an Italian citizen, but I do not yet have my passport. I hope that I will get my EU passport before we move, and if I do not, I will leave the UK and go to Italy to get my national ID card within days of arriving.

That doesn't help me now, with this form. Is there going to be an issue with customs about the fact that I do not have a UK visa? Presumably by the time this gets processed I will have an EU passport, so can I submit a revised form then? Or can my partner just do it himself and leave my name off of it?

You can’t move until you either get a visa or your Italian passport.  Complete the TOR after that’s sorted.

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2018, 06:44:28 PM »
No, but my partner can move and I can visit for 3 days before I go to Italy to get my national ID card. In the meantime, the TOR needs to be filled out.

I have an appointment next week at the Italian Embassy in Bangkok but they've already cancelled my appointment once, so I am assuming there is a good chance this will not get done before I leave and I will need to go to Italy.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2018, 07:00:36 PM »
Honestly, I don't know what to suggest.  You can certainly visit.  I just don't know how you can do the TOR.   :-\\\\

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2018, 07:09:41 PM »
If I am understanding correctly, I am not eligible for customs/tax relief on my personal possessions but my partner is. So if we put the shipment in his name, but list me as a household member, I don't know how they would determine what is owed. By the time they do I will have a passport so perhaps then I can apply for relief.

I can also include a note about my status, I guess. I have documents verifying my citizenship, just no passport or ID card.

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2018, 10:50:54 AM »
Now I am really confused. On the guidance pages my movers sent me it says:

Page 4

Select no if relocating as a single person.  Add comments as appropriate about why your relocation without family/partner and expected frequency of visiting.

If moving as a larger family unit, select yes and add name and date of birth for your partner. 

Note: you must add each additional family member.

But I just went through the entire online TOR form and there are no questions at all about family members.  ???

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2018, 11:19:59 AM »
I know I'm just responding to myself here, but all of the guidance documents I read appear to be incorrect, because it doesn't ask for your family/partner's status or information anywhere on the ToR form. They must have removed that section. In the meantime, I got my EU passport.

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2018, 11:28:14 AM »
In the meantime, I got my EU passport.

Congratulations!  :)

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2018, 11:56:51 AM »
Congratulations!  :)

Thank you! I went through the UK immigration application process during the HSMP years and I am absolutely delighted to not have to do it this time.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab