Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Things I miss  (Read 2595 times)

• Liked: 113
Re: Things I miss
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2018, 09:27:16 PM »
I'm curious to know if this varies depending on where you lived in the US. Target was right around the corner from me and the pricing was just so reasonable that it was my go-to for nearly everything besides groceries! (also, they have EVERYTHING so it was just easy but their groceries were limited so I didn't bother buying proper food there). There was even Starbucks there so I could get a coffee and spend all my remaining money at the same time lol. Target was essentially like crack.

I, too, don’t miss Target for reasons like you mentioned. Location. My town didn’t have one and I couldn’t be bothered to drive 15 mins to the next town with a Target :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
#1 NON-PRIORITY UNMARRIED PARTNER
Living together since Nov 2014, son born on Mar 2016
Decision: Refusal (70 BD)
#2 PRIORITY SPOUSE
Online Application: 18 Mar 2018
Decision Made Email: 03 May 2018
Received Passport: 07 May 2018 (APPROVED)
Entered UK: 10 May 2018
#3 NON-PRIORITY FLR(M)
Online Application: 6 Jan 2021
UKVCAS Biometric Appointment: 2 Feb 2021
Decision Made Email: 22 Mar 2021 (APPROVED)

• Liked: 768
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2018, 07:11:47 AM »
I'm curious to know if this varies depending on where you lived in the US. Target was right around the corner from me and the pricing was just so reasonable that it was my go-to for nearly everything besides groceries! (also, they have EVERYTHING so it was just easy but their groceries were limited so I didn't bother buying proper food there). There was even Starbucks there so I could get a coffee and spend all my remaining money at the same time lol. Target was essentially like crack.
I loved Target because of all of the amazing deals I was able to get as a coupon shopper. You could stack coupons plus get a gift card back for purchasing deal items. I could just roll those deals over into new deals. Plus I lived in an area that was a deal test market. (I'm glad I moved when they ended the RedPerks app or I would have been seriously sad.) I was always getting super stuff for free with RedPerks. Who doesn't love free jeans?

Plus their hidden clearance deals!! I got my Vitamix for 70% off. It was only marked 30% off but scanned 70% off. I felt like a super sleuth by scanning the clearance items to see if they rang up cheaper.

Plus... My Wal-Mart was mental and further away. You couldn't pay me to shop there.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2018, 09:25:21 AM »
I loved Target because of all of the amazing deals I was able to get as a coupon shopper. You could stack coupons plus get a gift card back for purchasing deal items. I could just roll those deals over into new deals. Plus I lived in an area that was a deal test market. (I'm glad I moved when they ended the RedPerks app or I would have been seriously sad.) I was always getting super stuff for free with RedPerks. Who doesn't love free jeans?

Plus their hidden clearance deals!! I got my Vitamix for 70% off. It was only marked 30% off but scanned 70% off. I felt like a super sleuth by scanning the clearance items to see if they rang up cheaper.

Plus... My Wal-Mart was mental and further away. You couldn't pay me to shop there.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

They've got the cartwheel app now. Not sure how it compares to the app you used to use
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 239
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2018, 10:12:19 AM »
I miss:

Driving (why is getting my name on the council tax bill such a hassle lol)
Diet Mountain Dew (sugar free is NOT the same)
Ranch dressing mix (Hidden Valley, my chicken misses you)
My treadmill (I've eaten like a full cow since I've gotten here  :P)
UK Spouse Visa (Priority)
Approved: 1 May 2018

FLR(M) Standard
Approved: 16 June 2021

ILR (SET M) Super Priority
Approved: 29 August 2023

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2018, 10:20:36 AM »
I miss:

Driving (why is getting my name on the council tax bill such a hassle lol)
Diet Mountain Dew (sugar free is NOT the same)
Ranch dressing mix (Hidden Valley, my chicken misses you)
My treadmill (I've eaten like a full cow since I've gotten here  :P)

Oh man, I waited far longer than I should've to get my UK driving license. I can't even tell you how much happier I was once I got that piece of independence. It doesn't seem like a lot or like it can change too much with how good public transport is, but honestly it does so much!
My, how time flies....

* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.

« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2018, 10:24:17 AM »
Oh man, I waited far longer than I should've to get my UK driving license. I can't even tell you how much happier I was once I got that piece of independence. It doesn't seem like a lot or like it can change too much with how good public transport is, but honestly it does so much!

I sold my car about a week before I got my visa and I felt like a trapped animal! I didn't think it would affect me that much but when you've lived alone and always been able to come and go as you please...yea...

My husband has a manual and I don't know how to drive it, so even if I got my provisional license now, I couldn't use it. Next car with be an automatic or he WILL teach me to drive a manual before my test  ;)

FLR(M) Standard

« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2018, 10:28:16 AM »
I sold my car about a week before I got my visa and I felt like a trapped animal! I didn't think it would affect me that much but when you've lived alone and always been able to come and go as you please...yea...

My husband has a manual and I don't know how to drive it, so even if I got my provisional license now, I couldn't use it. Next car with be an automatic or he WILL teach me to drive a manual before my test  ;)

Highly recommend taking driving lessons in a manual :) I got my license for both because I wanted to always have that option. I ended up with an automatic but I wanted to have a license for both in case I changed my mind in the future and I NEVER want to have to take another driving test if I can help it so I just got it out of the way at the beginning. With proper instruction, it's not as hard as it seems! :)
My, how time flies....

« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2018, 10:29:53 AM »
Highly recommend taking driving lessons in a manual :) I got my license for both because I wanted to always have that option. I ended up with an automatic but I wanted to have a license for both in case I changed my mind in the future and I NEVER want to have to take another driving test if I can help it so I just got it out of the way at the beginning. With proper instruction, it's not as hard as it seems! :)

I've had lessons before but the person teaching me back in the states had the patience of an ant. Husband promised to finish teaching me so I'm holding him to that  ;). Only thing I have an issue with is start/stop. I always stall lol.

FLR(M) Standard

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2018, 10:36:59 AM »
I must be the only person who doesn't miss Target...

Nope, not all alone!!!
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2018, 10:53:28 AM »
I've had lessons before but the person teaching me back in the states had the patience of an ant. Husband promised to finish teaching me so I'm holding him to that  ;). Only thing I have an issue with is start/stop. I always stall lol.

You need a better teacher :)

For me, I couldn't learn with my husband as it was just too stressful to me.
My, how time flies....

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2018, 11:23:24 AM »

I arrived in 2013.  I got my license last March... after four years!  We're actively searching for a car that fits within a precise list of requirements for My First UK Car (technically, the S2000 is mine, but my husband drives it because we actually like the car).  I know having that level of independence will change everything for me.  I'm happy enough now, but transportation will let me finally fully integrate.

You'll need* driving lessons for the test, anyway, so you could just hire an instructor to teach you to drive a manual, as well as how to pass the test.

* Professional lessons are not a legal requirement, but most people take at least a couple of hours of lessons to learn all the little rituals the test wants you to know.  I did a total of six hours, in three two-hour sessions, plus I paid for my instructor's car (and presence) on my test day.

Only thing I have an issue with is start/stop. I always stall lol.

When you're starting off, let off the clutch slower.  If you're patient with it and go slow at first, you can feel/hear when it's engaging properly.  And once you get that feel for it, it becomes second nature and you will be able to start more quickly.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2018, 11:24:22 AM »
You need a better teacher :)

For me, I couldn't learn with my husband as it was just too stressful to me.

My husband is extremely patient with me but we’ll see how it goes lol. There is a driving school in our village but want to save a bit of cash before we dive in there.

FLR(M) Standard

« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2018, 11:28:26 AM »

When you're starting off, let off the clutch slower.  If you're patient with it and go slow at first, you can feel/hear when it's engaging properly.  And once you get that feel for it, it becomes second nature and you will be able to start more quickly.

Thanks for the tip 👍🏻  :D

FLR(M) Standard

« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2018, 12:38:40 PM »
I arrived in 2013.  I got my license last March... after four years!  We're actively searching for a car that fits within a precise list of requirements for My First UK Car (technically, the S2000 is mine, but my husband drives it because we actually like the car).  I know having that level of independence will change everything for me.  I'm happy enough now, but transportation will let me finally fully integrate.

I arrived in 2013 as well haha and it took me nearly as long! Got mine at the VERY end of 2016 (December just before going home for Christmas). Honestly once you actively drive yourself places you'll feel relieved! When you get a car you'll be driving, just having it will make you *feel* better because you can actively choose not to go out if you want but it's because it's your choice and not because you feel you're burdening somebody else or needing to take over complicated public transport routes.

You'll need* driving lessons for the test, anyway, so you could just hire an instructor to teach you to drive a manual, as well as how to pass the test.

* Professional lessons are not a legal requirement, but most people take at least a couple of hours of lessons to learn all the little rituals the test wants you to know.  I did a total of six hours, in three two-hour sessions, plus I paid for my instructor's car (and presence) on my test day.

Totally agree with this.  Having the instructor's car alone just made it less stressful. I always recommend people to at least *try* manual and if they are super uncomfortable and stressed out after 2 or 3 lessons and you don't feel your making progress, THEN switch over to auto.
My, how time flies....

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2018, 01:37:46 PM »
I arrived in 2013 as well haha and it took me nearly as long! Got mine at the VERY end of 2016 (December just before going home for Christmas). Honestly once you actively drive yourself places you'll feel relieved! When you get a car you'll be driving, just having it will make you *feel* better because you can actively choose not to go out if you want but it's because it's your choice and not because you feel you're burdening somebody else or needing to take over complicated public transport routes.

I can't wait!  I can't start my citizenship application until we have a car, because my husband still can't take a day off work (special permission was granted for my ILR appointment because he'd booked that week off at his old job before starting the new one, and we needed to do it).  There is no way I'm doing my application without NCS, so I have to have a way to get there.  I'm not asking my neighbour to drive me.  I just want to do something for myself, like a grownup.

(My MIL doesn't drive.  I don't know how she can stand it!)
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

Sponsored Links