Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Colorado > < Devon...what to do..  (Read 3231 times)

Re: Colorado > < Devon...what to do..
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2018, 01:56:09 PM »
Believe they would be fine as could file "married, separate". I don't believe her UK income would have any bearing on US taxes if she remains living in the UK and doesn't own property etc. in the US. I could be wrong and I'm sure others will come along shortly to correct me if I am. Her income would only become a problem if she were to move to the US and contribute over there, as I understand it.

I think it depends on whether the spouse is a resident or non-resident alien.

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/nonresident-alien-spouse

https://www.americansabroad.org/nonamerican-spouse-us-tax-implications/

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2018, 02:04:48 PM »
I think it depends on whether the spouse is a resident or non-resident alien.

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/nonresident-alien-spouse

https://www.americansabroad.org/nonamerican-spouse-us-tax-implications/

Exactly as KoD described.

If she lives in the UK and has no USA assets - she will NOT be open to IRS filings (as she would be a non resident alien)

If she moves to the USA or buys a house in the USA (and has a USA asset), she WILL be open to IRS filings.

• Liked: 1
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2018, 02:55:48 AM »
She will move here, obtain residency via an adjustment of status, then work on permanent residency. If we marry and live apart until we work through immigration I would file taxes separately as there would be no reason not to. Its a longer process with her remaining in the UK. Somewhat frustrating process on both sides of the Atlantic.

We've surmised that we'll need to simply buy with cash. An affordable flat or terrace to start, hold and sell after we're there and make the move to something larger with a patch of green...and a functional garage.

Thanks all! Its helpful and I've learned a bit here already.

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2018, 03:35:43 AM »
Also, can't wait to thread the customs maze, taxes, duties, and shipping to bring an overpowered, terribly low mpg, oversized, LHD, American built classic car to the narrow streets and lanes of rural Devon. It has a custom built catalytic converter! I also wear a cowboy hat and boots. Too much? I really want to blend in. Local friends tell me not to bother trying.

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2018, 08:39:16 AM »
Also, can't wait to thread the customs maze, taxes, duties, and shipping to bring an overpowered, terribly low mpg, oversized, LHD, American built classic car to the narrow streets and lanes of rural Devon. It has a custom built catalytic converter! I also wear a cowboy hat and boots. Too much? I really want to blend in. Local friends tell me not to bother trying.

It's always worth bringing a classic car over.  You'll not find one here and it'll have great resale value (if ever needed to sell).

We don't recommend bringing something "normal".  Yes, it'll cost a few thousand pounds to make legal in the UK - but it'll be worth it.  I wanna ride!!

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2018, 08:54:40 AM »
agree with KF that it's definitely more worth bringing something that you wouldn't be able to find over here (or would have significant difficulty finding) like American muscle cars. Obviously left hand drive isn't necessarily ideal as it adds to the confusion but if you're going to be here more permanently, it will be worth it just to have it. If it were a more "normal" car (as KF said) or you weren't going to be here permanently, then I'd say it wouldn't be worth it.
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2018, 07:24:47 PM »

I knew a guy with a left hand drive car and he said it was no problem to drive here.  I believe it because I drive my GB car all the time in France which has the same issues but on the opposite side and it just doesn't matter a bit. 

You should be aware that if you drive that car, you will learn to drive on the wrong side of the road but you won't learn to shift with the wrong hand.  You probably won't be able to drive any car other than yours without practising for a while.

Also, you will probably be asked about it EVERY time you go anywhere.  Be ready to have the same conversation repeatedly in every car park.  This is not always a bad thing, depends on your personality.

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2018, 08:22:51 PM »

Also, you will probably be asked about it EVERY time you go anywhere.  Be ready to have the same conversation repeatedly in every car park.  This is not always a bad thing, depends on your personality.

This.  All day long.

I've owned cars sold here - a 350Z and an M5.  Oh the questions!  And anyone can buy one!!!

• Liked: 149
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2018, 08:35:41 PM »
I knew a guy with a left hand drive car and he said it was no problem to drive here.  I believe it because I drive my GB car all the time in France which has the same issues but on the opposite side and it just doesn't matter a bit. 
I used to work with plenty of Americans who just couldn't stand the thought of buying a right hand drive car.....even after years of living in the UK. A lot of them just kept buying left hand drive cars. They just got used to it....passing was really about the only annoying thing......and getting parking machine tickets (you better be agile).
Fred

« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2018, 09:33:44 AM »
I used to work with plenty of Americans who just couldn't stand the thought of buying a right hand drive car.....even after years of living in the UK. A lot of them just kept buying left hand drive cars. They just got used to it....passing was really about the only annoying thing......and getting parking machine tickets (you better be agile).

Oh yeah, that makes sense.  Most times I'm in France my wife is with me so I can just pull up to the window or button or whatever and let her deal with it on her side.  When she's not there, those motorway toll stations are a right PITA.

« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2018, 01:24:57 PM »
I’ve been flipping between driving both countries comfortably for years but several things still drive me to distraction;

•   No left-turn on red! I often forget.
•   National speed limits. The NSL sign still reminds me of a “do not enter” sign. And, of course 60mph on rural two-lane roads is insane!
•   Roadside cameras. But, at least they’re nice enough to let us know.
•   Left hand shifting. Most frustrating of all. The one benefit of a LHD.

Though, I quickly learned to appreciate the round-about. And in general, Brits seem to be better drivers than in the US.

« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2018, 01:30:04 PM »

•   National speed limits. The NSL sign still reminds me of a “do not enter” sign. And, of course 60mph on rural two-lane roads is insane!

A lot of my drive to work is national speed limit roads that are a single lane with spots to pull over.  I've had a few hair raising moments!   :o

It's something I would miss if I moved back to the USA.

« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2018, 02:50:05 PM »

Who came up with that dumb idea?   I have sat through two entire days of speed awareness training where all we did was talk about stupid speed limits for 6 hours straight.  The other day we were on a road and I didn't know the speed limit!  Sorry, maybe I'm just thick but that's what signs are for!  Just put up a few signs with the numbers on them.

• in general, Brits seem to be better drivers than in the US.

For the most part, but they really are bad on the motorway.  Until recently, nobody got any training on how to drive on a motorway and it showed. 

« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2018, 02:16:15 AM »
  Who came up with that dumb idea?   I have sat through two entire days of speed awareness training where all we did was talk about stupid speed limits for 6 hours straight.  The other day we were on a road and I didn't know the speed limit!  Sorry, maybe I'm just thick but that's what signs are for!  Just put up a few signs with the numbers on them.

It is irritating. I ask my partner all the time..."so now how fast should I be going?". She often doesn't know.

For the most part, but they really are bad on the motorway.  Until recently, nobody got any training on how to drive on a motorway and it showed.

Racing through multiple roundabouts in rush hour near Gatwick a few weeks ago I couldn't help but think if it was any city in America it would be an absolute parking lot.
I pass through the occasional trendy roundabout here and I want to pound on the wheel, shout four letter metaphors and lay on the horn at the long term squatters in front. People there know to keep the wheels turning.

« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2018, 08:31:48 AM »
Racing through multiple roundabouts in rush hour near Gatwick a few weeks ago I couldn't help but think if it was any city in America it would be an absolute parking lot.
I pass through the occasional trendy roundabout here and I want to pound on the wheel, shout four letter metaphors and lay on the horn at the long term squatters in front. People there know to keep the wheels turning.

You'll learn all about how to identify the speed limit based on street lighting, number of lanes, etc. when you get your UK license.

Sponsored Links