Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Sinuses gone mad  (Read 3575 times)

• Liked: 154
Sinuses gone mad
« on: May 13, 2018, 01:15:23 PM »
Not sure where to put this,but I hate this time of year here. I’m so  overcome by sinus headaches and pressure, I’m absolutely miserable. I feel like I’ve tried everything under the sun too. 

Does anybody else have this issue? I go to bed with a sinus headache and wake up with one.  My face hurts from the pressure and my gp just kind of said oh well take sudafed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Liked: 537
Re: Sinuses gone mad
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2018, 01:22:57 PM »
Not sure where to put this,but I hate this time of year here. I’m so  overcome by sinus headaches and pressure, I’m absolutely miserable. I feel like I’ve tried everything under the sun too. 

Does anybody else have this issue? I go to bed with a sinus headache and wake up with one.  My face hurts from the pressure and my gp just kind of said oh well take sudafed.

That sucks!

I get horrible sinuses headaches sometimes when the weather changes suddenly and they're brutal. So I feel for you.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2018, 01:28:43 PM »
That sucks!

I get horrible sinuses headaches sometimes when the weather changes suddenly and they're brutal. So I feel for you.

It’s literally taking over, I work and do normal housework things but then I find myself just sleeping because it’s the only thing I can do.

• Liked: 6110
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 01:34:01 PM by larrabee »

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2018, 01:33:48 PM »
A few suggestions:

Neil med sinus rinse.  This will likely help you more than anything.  http://www.boots.com/neilmed-sinus-rinse-kit-10077009

Beconaise will help. It’s a long term thing, you need to use it everyday to prevent flare ups. http://www.boots.com/health-pharmacy/medicines-treatments/allergy-hayfever/beconase-hayfever-180-sprays-10032886

And this is the best stuff ever.  Sold behind the counter.  https://www.sudafed.co.uk/products/sinus-pressure-pain-tablets

I hope something works for you!

• Liked: 957
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2018, 03:06:07 PM »
Yep, I didn't have hayfever in the states but I do here and it's been brutal!

The neilmed sinus rinse is my go to, along with steam and olbas oil. I'm also on some prescription antihistamines. I did also get a killer sinus infection and needed antibiotics even with all of the above. I also have a HEPA filter in our bedroom and keep the windows in there closed at night (I turn the filter up to have them open during the day). A shower before bed might also help get the pollen off and out of your hair.

Another slower but potentially effective helper may be local raw honey. There's mixed studies on it but I know a number of people whose allergies have improved with it. It has to be local though or it won't have the same pollen. Mix a teaspoon in tea (or coffee) after its cooled a bit and over time the reactions might get better.

• Liked: 674
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2018, 04:46:45 PM »
I'd recommend the beconase. That has really helped me.  Plus, on the long term, dandelion tea and possibly raw local honey to try to desensitize yourself. (We are fortunate in that there's a lady whose hives are within a mile of our home.)

Spicy food to get things open. A good hot curry, chili, or hot sauce usually gets things opening up for me, and then if I can get the beconase up there it really helps things resolve.

The Daughter uses cetirizine hydrocloride for the hayfever part  - green box at Boots - and says it works for her.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 04:48:10 PM by Nan D. »

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2018, 04:47:06 PM »
Thanks guys I’ll check them out. My hay fever has definitely gotten worse here. I feel like I’m sniffling year round here but this spring is the worst so far.

• Liked: 674
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2018, 06:50:51 PM »
Oh, correction on the herbal tea. Dandelion tea is a diuretic (slight). Chamomile tea is the one for allergies....

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2018, 09:17:58 AM »
Can't help beyond sharing this photo :D

My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2018, 09:18:37 AM »
Can't help beyond sharing this photo :D

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

• Liked: 113
Sinuses gone mad
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2018, 09:41:59 AM »
Chronic allergy sufferer here so I’ve tried A LOT of remedies. Here’s what worked for me. Some were already mentioned.

Cetirizine DAILY. It only works when it’s built up in your system. It’s not like a pill for headaches that works almost instantly.

Essential oils (EO). This was the game changer for me!

Eucalyptus globulus EO - to relieve congestion place 1-2 drops in a bowl with 1 cup of hot, steaming water. Put your face close to the steam and drape a towel over your head with the bowl. Do this for 5-10 mins. Works every time for me! **Eucalyptus is not recommended amd can be dangerous for children so be cautious around them when using.

Peppermint EO - diffused or inhaled (added to an inhaler stick like the Vicks inhaler). Expectorant, helps unclog, but not as powerful as eucalyptus. Smells wonderful though.

Any immune building EO blend - Diffused throughout the day. Ex. Lemon, Young Living (brand) Thieves blend, Lavender, Frankincense carteri, Rosemary, Tea Tree, Sweet Orange, etc.

This is a weird one but it helps. Before going outside to brave the pollen, or in my case before going to someone’s home where there’s a pet (highly allergic to dogs dander!), put some petroleum jelly inside your nostrils. That sticky stuff traps the allergen and possibly prevents it from getting into your system.

Hope that helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 09:44:14 AM by masonjohnsmum »
#1 NON-PRIORITY UNMARRIED PARTNER
Living together since Nov 2014, son born on Mar 2016
Decision: Refusal (70 BD)
#2 PRIORITY SPOUSE
Online Application: 18 Mar 2018
Decision Made Email: 03 May 2018
Received Passport: 07 May 2018 (APPROVED)
Entered UK: 10 May 2018
#3 NON-PRIORITY FLR(M)
Online Application: 6 Jan 2021
UKVCAS Biometric Appointment: 2 Feb 2021
Decision Made Email: 22 Mar 2021 (APPROVED)

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2018, 09:56:13 AM »
Chronic allergy sufferer here so I’ve tried A LOT of remedies. Here’s what worked for me. Some were already mentioned.

Cetirizine DAILY. It only works when it’s built up in your system. It’s not like a pill for headaches that works almost instantly.

Essential oils (EO). This was the game changer for me!

Eucalyptus globulus EO - to relieve congestion place 1-2 drops in a bowl with 1 cup of hot, steaming water. Put your face close to the steam and drape a towel over your head with the bowl. Do this for 5-10 mins. Works every time for me! **Eucalyptus is not recommended amd can be dangerous for children so be cautious around them when using.

Peppermint EO - diffused or inhaled (added to an inhaler stick like the Vicks inhaler). Expectorant, helps unclog, but not as powerful as eucalyptus. Smells wonderful though.

Any immune building EO blend - Diffused throughout the day. Ex. Lemon, Young Living (brand) Thieves blend, Lavender, Frankincense carteri, Rosemary, Tea Tree, Sweet Orange, etc.

This is a weird one but it helps. Before going outside to brave the pollen, or in my case before going to someone’s home where there’s a pet (highly allergic to dogs!), put some petroleum jelly inside your nostrils. That sticky stuff traps the allergen and possibly prevents it from getting intl your system.

Hope that helps!

For the peppermint EO, I have a lotion by C.O. Bigelow that has mint in it, and I sometimes just put a bit just below my nose so I breathe it in.  If I've been sniffling and blowing my nose a lot, so I'm chapped, I'll just smear Burt's Bees lip balm (which also has peppermint in) around my nose.  Both of these help with opening up my airways a bit, and the Burt's Bees has the added benefit of soothing chapped skin.

For the pressure, I second KF's sudafed-from-behind-the-counter... the real stuff, with pseudoephedrine in it.  The stuff you can just pick up off the shelf is not nearly as good.  If you notice that it's drying you out too much (which can also cause sinus pain), try to find diphenhydramine HCL (in the US, it's the active ingredient for Benadryl; I think over here it's sold as a sleep aid... and it will knock you out, but it's very good at inhibiting the histamine response.  Try taking it at night and the sudafed in the morning, maybe?).

And I also use Cetirizine daily.  You can get a 28-day supply of generic stuff for, like, £2, I think.  But as noted above, it's a long-term maintenance medicine, and won't be a quick-fix for immediate relief.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 09:57:45 AM by jfkimberly »
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 957
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2018, 11:04:03 AM »
If cetirizine makes you too sleepy fexofenadine is OTC in the US, but I believe prescription here (I came with a year supply). Cetirizine made me sleep almost 18hrs a day, so I'm thankful there are some other options!

Piriton is the fast acting antihistamine like benadryl here. You can buy diphenhydramine as Nytol though.

Olbas is a magical EO blend. Diluted in a carrier oil it soothes achy muscles, and a drop or two on a tissue or in a steamy bowl of water for opening sinuses it works really well. I'll occasionally stick a couple drops in the tub when showering too. It's an English thing but they carried it in Wegmans back home and made me so happy (because English friends introduced me to it). Their cough drops are sugar free, made with isomalt, and work very well when sick with a chest cold.

• Liked: 113
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2018, 11:21:53 AM »
Olbas is a magical EO blend.

Ingredients: Essential oils of Peppermint, Eucalyptus, Cajeput, Wintergreen, Juniper and Clove.

Oohh interesting. Never heard of Cajeput before. I’ll be on the look out for this EO blend.

Thanks for the recommendation!
#1 NON-PRIORITY UNMARRIED PARTNER
Living together since Nov 2014, son born on Mar 2016
Decision: Refusal (70 BD)
#2 PRIORITY SPOUSE
Online Application: 18 Mar 2018
Decision Made Email: 03 May 2018
Received Passport: 07 May 2018 (APPROVED)
Entered UK: 10 May 2018
#3 NON-PRIORITY FLR(M)
Online Application: 6 Jan 2021
UKVCAS Biometric Appointment: 2 Feb 2021
Decision Made Email: 22 Mar 2021 (APPROVED)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab