Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Public Funds for Sponsor  (Read 1025 times)

• Liked: 55
Public Funds for Sponsor
« on: May 14, 2018, 05:47:26 PM »
I tried to find the thread where I spoke about an illegal eviction that I was involved with. I've contacted our local Citizens Advice to see what the next steps are to report this, as the building we were meant to move into is not opening until mid-June/July and we are running out of options of places to live/move into.

Is my spouse allowed to apply for public funds? We are unable to move in with family members and will have to move out of the temporary place we are at now.

• Liked: 4985
Re: Public Funds for Sponsor
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2018, 06:45:38 PM »
I tried to find the thread where I spoke about an illegal eviction that I was involved with. I've contacted our local Citizens Advice to see what the next steps are to report this, as the building we were meant to move into is not opening until mid-June/July and we are running out of options of places to live/move into.

Is my spouse allowed to apply for public funds? We are unable to move in with family members and will have to move out of the temporary place we are at now.

Your spouse can apply for anything he is entitled to.  What he can’t do is claim more for being married to you.

• Liked: 55
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 08:50:13 PM »
Your spouse can apply for anything he is entitled to.  What he can’t do is claim more for being married to you.

Thanks so much! Going to Citizens Advice tomorrow

• Liked: 342
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2018, 02:43:39 PM »
I'm a bit late, but as KFdancer said, he can't take extra benefits for you as you are subject to immigration control. It's up to you to ensure that you don't take public funds that you are not allowed as that would be in breach of your visa, so don't rely on the benefits agencies to get that right as they are not immigration experts.
e.g.
If your husband is under age 35, then he could claim the Shared Accommodation rate for Housing Benefit. He can't take the Couple rate (1 Bedroom) because you can't have that public fund.

He might be on the new welfare system for income based benefits, called Universal Credit, instead of the old Housing Benefit that is getting replaced. I'm assuming that the housing element of Universal Credit, has the same rules.
https://www.gov.uk/universal-credit

« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 04:28:17 PM by Sirius »

Sponsored Links