Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Special Visitor! : )  (Read 3886 times)

• Liked: 6110
Special Visitor! : )
« on: May 16, 2018, 05:11:40 PM »
I was wandering round the garden this afternoon and I bumped into a hedgehog:D

Soooo excited. He may just be passing through but I'd love him to stick around!  ;D

• Liked: 424
Re: Special Visitor! : )
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 06:27:06 PM »
I was wandering round the garden this afternoon and I bumped into a hedgehog:D

Soooo excited. He may just be passing through but I'd love him to stick around!  ;D
Oh my!! I have told my wife that they are a myth....like wild haggis and jackalope! Here I am in their native area and not one single hedgehog!! Oh so jealous.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2018, 06:48:06 PM »
Oh my!! I have told my wife that they are a myth....like wild haggis and jackalope! Here I am in their native area and not one single hedgehog!! Oh so jealous.

Me-            "We have a hedgehog, we have a hedgehog!!"
Husband-   looking alarmed "Where? ...In the house?"

;D

• Liked: 154
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2018, 10:00:33 PM »
Oh I love hedgehogs so much! I hope he stays around =)

• Liked: 957
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2018, 11:36:39 PM »
Aww! That would be so nice!

It's just cat city over here... My husband interrupted a fight while taking the bins out (we have such descriptive names for them... "Ginger cat was hissing at black n white, they ran off and fluffy tail came by to say hi.")

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 05:41:40 AM »
Oh I love hedgehogs so much! I hope he stays around =)

Oh, so do I!  :D I went to get him some cat food but by the time I got back, he had vanished into the undergrowth. I think those little guys can really motor!
I left a little food down for him though so hopefully he gets the message that he's welcome to stick around!  :D

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2018, 05:47:46 AM »
Aww! That would be so nice!

It's just cat city over here... My husband interrupted a fight while taking the bins out (we have such descriptive names for them... "Ginger cat was hissing at black n white, they ran off and fluffy tail came by to say hi.")

Haha!  ;D We have a couple that visit occasionally, ... Ginger Puss and Scruffy Cat!  ;D

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2018, 07:28:57 AM »
Oh, so do I!  :D I went to get him some cat food but by the time I got back, he had vanished into the undergrowth. I think those little guys can really motor!
I left a little food down for him though so hopefully he gets the message that he's welcome to stick around!  :D

We discovered we had a hedgehog visitor a few weeks ago when my husband went to put the pizza oven into the shed and nearly stood on the guy (it's okay, he saw it in time!).  Two weekends ago, when we were waiting for it to get dark enough to start the bonfire (burning the limbs and stuff we'd cleared the previous week), hedgehog came out to poke around very near to where we were sitting.  My neighbor had given us some catfood when we told her of our visitor, in case we see him again, so I ran into the house to get it.  Hedgehog was spooked by our moving around so near to him, though, and went back into the hedge.  The next day, we watched as a neighbour's cat ate the little bit of cat food we'd left out.  :/
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 07:33:03 AM by jfkimberly »
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2018, 08:52:24 AM »
We discovered we had a hedgehog visitor a few weeks ago when my husband went to put the pizza oven into the shed and nearly stood on the guy (it's okay, he saw it in time!).  Two weekends ago, when we were waiting for it to get dark enough to start the bonfire (burning the limbs and stuff we'd cleared the previous week), hedgehog came out to poke around very near to where we were sitting.  My neighbor had given us some catfood when we told her of our visitor, in case we see him again, so I ran into the house to get it.  Hedgehog was spooked by our moving around so near to him, though, and went back into the hedge.  The next day, we watched as a neighbour's cat ate the little bit of cat food we'd left out.  :/

Food gone this morning. Anything could have had it of course, but I am choosing to believe that Henry had at least a little!   ;D

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2018, 09:44:08 AM »
Food gone this morning. Anything could have had it of course, but I am choosing to believe that Henry had at least a little!   ;D

Yay!  Henry!

We knew the strong likelihood of one (or more) of our neighbour's feral cats getting any food we put out, as they were coming into our garden quite a lot.  So we waited 'til we actually saw 'our' hedgehog before putting any food out.  Your food probably went to Henry.  From what I've seen of our hedgehog, they like to follow a routine if they feel safe and secure.

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2018, 10:43:54 AM »
You're lucky! Hedgehogs are good luck and they eat all the slugs!!
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2018, 10:46:58 AM »
You're lucky! Hedgehogs are good luck and they eat all the slugs!!

Thank you! I know!   :D

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2018, 11:47:34 AM »
Two weekends ago, when we were waiting for it to get dark enough to start the bonfire (burning the limbs and stuff we'd cleared the previous week), hedgehog came out to poke around very near to where we were sitting. 
  That reminds me, hedgehog lovers always remind people to check your bonfires before lighting them.  Apparently hedgehogs love to hide in piles of sticks. 

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2018, 11:52:10 AM »
  That reminds me, hedgehog lovers always remind people to check your bonfires before lighting them.  Apparently hedgehogs love to hide in piles of sticks.

Yes!  We had only just piled the stuff up just before lighting it (moved from a different stack on the edge of our weird fire circle), but I was still concerned about any wildlife that might've investigated it before the fire got going.  And then I got upset about the moth that decided to check out the fire after it was going.  Why do animals have death wishes?!  :(

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2018, 01:42:50 PM »
He's still here!  ;D And he is the cutest little guy ever! :D

I just spotted him trotting across the grass and ran inside right away to get some cat food. He was in the flowerbed when I got back to him and I popped a bit of food in front of his nose. He tucked himself up just a little bit but came out again pretty much immediately and ate half of what was a pretty good amount.

I then ran back in to get my iPad to take a picture of him, expecting him to have vanished but when I got back, there he was, all settled down for a snooze in the sun! Adorable!   :D

Sponsored Links