Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Android (soft-) bricked my mobile.  (Read 1571 times)

• Liked: 1327
Android (soft-) bricked my mobile.
« on: May 17, 2018, 09:32:40 AM »
I've been harrassed by my phone for I don't remember how long now about a software update, so last night I finally gave in and told it to do the update overnight.  I woke up this morning to a really hot phone stuck on the "Samsung" screen.  I have concluded that the firmware got corrupted during the update, so now I have to get SD cards to backup my stuff and to transfer new firmware onto my phone to try to save it.

Meanwhile, I've managed to get it to power off, so it's cooled down to normal, at least.

My contract is up in July.  I'm not getting a new phone!  I loved my phone before this.  *grumble*
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 6110
Re: Android (soft-) bricked my mobile.
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 10:49:51 AM »
I've been harrassed by my phone for I don't remember how long now about a software update, so last night I finally gave in and told it to do the update overnight.  I woke up this morning to a really hot phone stuck on the "Samsung" screen.  I have concluded that the firmware got corrupted during the update, so now I have to get SD cards to backup my stuff and to transfer new firmware onto my phone to try to save it.

Meanwhile, I've managed to get it to power off, so it's cooled down to normal, at least.

My contract is up in July.  I'm not getting a new phone!  I loved my phone before this.  *grumble*

Oh, that is sooo annoying! Sorry!

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 11:10:05 AM »
I am so sad.  I have a 101-day streak in Duolingo ... all "Insane" level (50XP/day).  I had to go to the website to do today's goal to keep my streak going.  I'm so worried about losing it.  Plus, my sister and I keep in touch via Line, and now I can't talk to her until I fix my phone.  All the poop!  And I was going to phone Swansea Council today to inquire about lead time for booking an appointment for NCS.  (I hate phones, so this was a significant goal.... on the other hand, ready excuse for not making the phonecall! ;) )

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 03:51:26 PM »
I am so sad.  I have a 101-day streak in Duolingo ... all "Insane" level (50XP/day).  I had to go to the website to do today's goal to keep my streak going.  I'm so worried about losing it.  Plus, my sister and I keep in touch via Line, and now I can't talk to her until I fix my phone.  All the poop!  And I was going to phone Swansea Council today to inquire about lead time for booking an appointment for NCS.  (I hate phones, so this was a significant goal.... on the other hand, ready excuse for not making the phonecall! ;) )

There is seriously something in the air!  :-\\\\
I have my ongoing Transferwise catastrophe, then my UK bank changes how I can pay my credit card bill, so it is now far less convenient. And I've just discovered that I can no longer transfer money out of another of my UK accounts online anymore because I don't have a cell phone and they have added an "extra layer of security".  >:(

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 05:30:11 PM »
There is seriously something in the air!  :-\\\\
I have my ongoing Transferwise catastrophe, then my UK bank changes how I can pay my credit card bill, so it is now far less convenient. And I've just discovered that I can no longer transfer money out of another of my UK accounts online anymore because I don't have a cell phone and they have added an "extra layer of security".  >:(

I always opt for email for that "extra layer of security" if I can't opt out, altogether.  I don't like to connect my digital footprint to my physical footprint any more than necessary.

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 05:36:48 PM »
I always opt for email for that "extra layer of security" if I can't opt out, altogether.  I don't like to connect my digital footprint to my physical footprint any more than necessary.

No option there to opt out or for email. I would leave them out of principle but I have most of the direct debits coming from that account and I don't want to have to re-do them all right now!

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2018, 08:48:16 PM »
No option there to opt out or for email. I would leave them out of principle but I have most of the direct debits coming from that account and I don't want to have to re-do them all right now!

Yeah, it would be annoying to switch institutions.  It took me about three years before I used my UK account to do much more than have a chip&PIN card for real life shopping (as opposed to online shopping).  I did most of my banking through my US credit union account until recently, because that's where my pension went in, and I already had a few direct debits coming out (one of which was for my local NPR station, which probably needs to pay out of a US account).

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2018, 08:44:18 AM »
Update: We tried flashing the ROM to reinstall the firmware, and that had no effect.  My phone might actually be a brick.  In researching, the Oreo update has been bad for a lot of S7 owners.  I am always reluctant to do updates, but grudgingly accept them after they've pestered me about it for ages.  This is the first time my reluctance has actually been warranted.  I'm not happy to be proven right.  I might have lost my collection of photos (anything I didn't email to my husband or myself, or post here), but I think that's it.  But it's looking like a factory reset might not even fix this.  The talk in the forums is pretty bad news.  My husband and I are looking for the nearest shop so we can see what they'll do for me since my phone was working fine two days ago and their/Android's update bricked it.

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2018, 09:40:50 AM »
Update: We tried flashing the ROM to reinstall the firmware, and that had no effect.  My phone might actually be a brick.  In researching, the Oreo update has been bad for a lot of S7 owners.  I am always reluctant to do updates, but grudgingly accept them after they've pestered me about it for ages.  This is the first time my reluctance has actually been warranted.  I'm not happy to be proven right.  I might have lost my collection of photos (anything I didn't email to my husband or myself, or post here), but I think that's it.  But it's looking like a factory reset might not even fix this.  The talk in the forums is pretty bad news.  My husband and I are looking for the nearest shop so we can see what they'll do for me since my phone was working fine two days ago and their/Android's update bricked it.

Sucks!
I haven't updated my computer since I got it.. too scared!

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2018, 01:04:33 PM »
Sucks!
I haven't updated my computer since I got it.. too scared!

I switched to Windows 10 when it was free because I needed it for some software I wanted to use.  Windows 10 forces updates.  You have no control over whether you get them, and very little control over when you get them.  Macs are looking mighty attractive.

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2018, 02:54:40 PM »
I switched to Windows 10 when it was free because I needed it for some software I wanted to use.  Windows 10 forces updates.  You have no control over whether you get them, and very little control over when you get them.  Macs are looking mighty attractive.

That's a fairly precarious situation to be in!  ..My last one was windows 7!  ;D

And while my experience with Mac has been a bit rocky, I can safely say that the more I use my computer, the more I am impressed by it!  So it looks like they are stuck with me as a customer from now on!  ;D

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2018, 03:13:13 PM »
That's a fairly precarious situation to be in!  ..My last one was windows 7!  ;D

And while my experience with Mac has been a bit rocky, I can safely say that the more I use my computer, the more I am impressed by it!  So it looks like they are stuck with me as a customer from now on!  ;D

I went from Windows XP to 7 to 10.  I skipped Vista back in the day, and I skipped 8 more recently.  I, personally, haven't had an issue with 10, but I know lots of people who have been caught out by the updates.  My husband's computer (a small desktop that my brother gave us) seems particularly dodgy.  And it seems to constantly be downloading an update in the background, slowing down our already slow "broadband" (we get 4.6Mbps down, and 0.6Mbps up on the best of days... we're part of that 5% of the UK that can't get highspeed internet).

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2018, 06:38:57 PM »
  (we get 4.6Mbps down, and 0.6Mbps up on the best of days... we're part of that 5% of the UK that can't get highspeed internet).

That must be so frustrating. Mine is not wonderful but I'm happy if it's around 20Mbps. If it goes much below that, I notice the difference.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab