Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Skype - Skype US number and call forwarding  (Read 2259 times)

• Liked: 239
Skype - Skype US number and call forwarding
« on: May 17, 2018, 10:04:21 AM »
Does anyone here have a US Skype number? I just purchased one and I see there is a call forwarding option available. My question is, if i have a US Skype number and have it forwarded to my UK mobile number...does it charge me anything extra? I'm looking at subscriptions right now and am lost lol.

Trying to figure out the best financial option to keep in contact with my immediate family in the states.
UK Spouse Visa (Priority)
Approved: 1 May 2018

FLR(M) Standard
Approved: 16 June 2021

ILR (SET M) Super Priority
Approved: 29 August 2023

• Liked: 1892
Re: Skype - Skype US number and call forwarding
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 11:41:27 AM »
Does anyone here have a US Skype number? I just purchased one and I see there is a call forwarding option available. My question is, if i have a US Skype number and have it forwarded to my UK mobile number...does it charge me anything extra? I'm looking at subscriptions right now and am lost lol.

Trying to figure out the best financial option to keep in contact with my immediate family in the states.

As far as I know, the incoming call will be over skype.  The US caller can just use a phone and call the number as usual, but it will come to you as if somebody was skyping you.  You'll have to figure out how to make skype run all the time and ring on your mobile phone.  I've never done this. 

By the way, when you purchase skype like this, they insist on auto renewing the purchase each year.  They ran the purchase through again for me this year despite me not wanting it because I forgot to turn it off.  Now they won't refund the £35

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 11:50:01 AM »
As far as I know, the incoming call will be over skype.  The US caller can just use a phone and call the number as usual, but it will come to you as if somebody was skyping you.  You'll have to figure out how to make skype run all the time and ring on your mobile phone.  I've never done this. 

By the way, when you purchase skype like this, they insist on auto renewing the purchase each year.  They ran the purchase through again for me this year despite me not wanting it because I forgot to turn it off.  Now they won't refund the £35

Thanks!

I did the 3 month because I want to try it out. Hopefully they don’t give me any issues. I tied it to my PayPal to make it easier to shut down if need be.

FLR(M) Standard

• Liked: 21
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 01:45:45 PM »
I have it and it is very convenient. I have skype on my smart phone so it rings through perfectly. My only complaint is that a us number comes with us Robo callers. So now I get spam from both sides of the atlantic. It is a MUST to turn off your ringer or use apples do not disturb function when you are ready for bed, because us prime junk call time is my deep sleeping time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 03:21:53 PM »
I have it and it is very convenient. I have skype on my smart phone so it rings through perfectly. My only complaint is that a us number comes with us Robo callers. So now I get spam from both sides of the atlantic. It is a MUST to turn off your ringer or use apples do not disturb function when you are ready for bed, because us prime junk call time is my deep sleeping time!

Do you have it where if you don’t answer, it forwards to your UK number? What calling subscription do you use? I wasn’t sure if I had to use the world calling or if I can use the North America.

Do not disturb and I are very good friends  ;D

FLR(M) Standard

• Liked: 21
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 03:33:44 PM »
I have a global annual. In my case it forwards to a number that has an answering machine on it. I have the Skype app on my iPhone so the number always rings on my phone as well as my computer. It has been absolutely perfect for my 82 year old mother who never liked using Skype and still fears international long distance as being as expensive as it used to be - she dials a us number and in seconds, there I am. It makes me seem as close to her as my sister actually still is.

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2018, 03:35:09 PM »
I have a global annual. In my case it forwards to a number that has an answering machine on it. I have the Skype app on my iPhone so the number always rings on my phone as well as my computer. It has been absolutely perfect for my 82 year old mother who never liked using Skype and still fears international long distance as being as expensive as it used to be - she dials a us number and in seconds, there I am. It makes me seem as close to her as my sister actually still is.

Thank you so much! My mother doesn’t even know how to check voicemail on her flip phone so I had to figure something out  ;D

FLR(M) Standard

• Liked: 718
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2018, 08:49:47 PM »
I’ve had one for a couple of years with call forwarding enabled. If someone calls it rings through on my Skype app and if I answer within 30 seconds then it is free, but if it rolls over to my uk phone number it costs 2.3c/min

I get very few calls fortunately
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 08:51:16 PM by durhamlad »
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2018, 08:59:11 PM »
I’ve had one for a couple of years with call forwarding enabled. If someone calls it rings through on my Skype app and if I answer within 30 seconds then it is free, but if it rolls over to my uk phone number it costs 2.3c/min

I get very few calls fortunately

Hmm think that’s got me decided for sure then. I won’t get many but just like the option that they can call me if needed.

FLR(M) Standard

• Liked: 718
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2018, 09:03:59 PM »
Hmm think that’s got me decided for sure then. I won’t get many but just like the option that they can call me if needed.

I figure that if it gets to be a problem I can turn off the call forwarding and let calls go to Skype voice mail which also works quite well.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab