Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Traveling to US with my UK spouse for the first time...  (Read 336 times)

• Liked: 239
Traveling to US with my UK spouse for the first time...
« on: May 17, 2018, 10:06:56 AM »
So the husband and I are heading back to the states next week for our formal wedding ceremony. When we go through immigration control in the US, he goes through his normal line and I go through mine, correct? I know when we re-enter the UK, I go through the EU line as long as he is with me but wasn't sure about US entry.

I'm sacrificing my TSA precheck so I can go through security with him.  ;D

UK Spouse Visa (Priority)
Approved: 1 May 2018

FLR(M) Standard
Approved: 16 June 2021

ILR (SET M) Super Priority
Approved: 29 August 2023

• Liked: 33
Re: Traveling to US with my UK spouse for the first time...
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 10:10:44 AM »
So the husband and I are heading back to the states next week for our formal wedding ceremony. When we go through immigration control in the US, he goes through his normal line and I go through mine, correct? I know when we re-enter the UK, I go through the EU line as long as he is with me but wasn't sure about US entry.

I'm sacrificing my TSA precheck so I can go through security with him.  ;D

Congrats! Yes as you are still a US citizen. Have a fab time!! :)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 10:17:55 AM by AmyJaneLaubach2018 »
Visa type: Spouse visa, non-priority
Biometrics: 23rd March 2018
Supporting docs received in Sheffield: 28th March 2018
Confirmation email: 3rd April 2018
Application not straight forward email: None
Decision email: 21st June 2018 (56BD)
Decision received/Passport returned: 25th June 2018 (approved)

• Liked: 70
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 10:23:39 AM »
I go through the non-US line with my British spouse.  Since we've been married we've gone through every immigration line together.  We just pick the most appropriate one wherever we are.

If I hold my US passport while in line the busy-bodies have tried to make me me go through the US line and him through the UK line so I keep my passport put away until I'm approaching the desk.

British spouse is questioned less when I go through the non-US line with him than when he goes alone.  US Immigration won't let me speak at all though.  All questions are directed to British spouse and when I try to answer things he's unsure of I get told that he needs to answer.

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 10:25:46 AM »
I go through the non-US line with my British spouse.  Since we've been married we've gone through every immigration line together.  We just pick the most appropriate one wherever we are.

If I hold my US passport while in line the busy-bodies have tried to make me me go through the US line and him through the UK line so I keep my passport put away until I'm approaching the desk.

British spouse is questioned less when I go through the non-US line with him than when he goes alone.  US Immigration won't let me speak at all though.  All questions are directed to British spouse and when I try to answer things he's unsure of I get told that he needs to answer.

Oh I didn't even know that was an option! Thanks for that!  :D

FLR(M) Standard

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 10:59:09 AM »
You should always go through the same line together, regardless of country... I would recommend trying the US line first, because you are a US citizen (and it's usually much quicker), though if you are unsure, just ask a member of staff and they will tell you which line to go through.

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 11:21:20 AM »
You should always go through the same line together, regardless of country... I would recommend trying the US line first, because you are a US citizen (and it's usually much quicker), though if you are unsure, just ask a member of staff and they will tell you which line to go through.

Ok we will try that. Customs/immigration has always been good and fairly quick at our connecting airport (Charlotte). I always connect through them so fingers crossed they let us stay together in the US line coming in.  :D

FLR(M) Standard

• Liked: 134
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2018, 11:42:21 AM »
We always go through the same line.  Last time, we asked and the guy sent us through separate lines.  I was still waiting for a kiosk when my husband's border agent called me up. 

When we have asked in the past, we have been sent through the All Other Passports line when he is entering on a new ESTA and through the US Citizens line when entering on a previously used ESTA.  Just go where you're told, but go together!
Met Mr. Beatlemania: 20 Jan 2010
Tier 4 Visa Approved: 17 Sep 2012
Spousal Visa Received:  22 Sep 2014
Ohio to Essex: 26 October 2014
FLR(M): 10 May 2017
ILR: 23 October 2019
Citizenship: 6 September 2022

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2018, 03:03:46 PM »
My husband has always gone through the US line with me.  Even when we were dating.

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2018, 03:05:46 PM »
My husband has always gone through the US line with me.  Even when we were dating.

It never occurred to me since he is not a US citizen. I much prefer going in the same line together.  :)

FLR(M) Standard

Sponsored Links