Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Proof of Intent to Marry / We Messed Up  (Read 1085 times)

• Liked: 0
Proof of Intent to Marry / We Messed Up
« on: May 17, 2018, 01:19:52 PM »
Hi there!

Had somewhat of a disaster when trying to come up with proof of intent to marry in preparation for a Fiance Visa application.

I called the local registration office to see about the process for getting married and they told me I should give notice of marriage before booking the venue (which is going to be a civil ceremony in the local registration office premises). I explained to them that I'm a local resident and I'm intending to marry a U.S. citizen that was here on a Visitor Visa but we're planning on getting the Fiance Visa for her to come back for the wedding; they told me to call the main office for our region which is the one in Blackburn since the process is different.

Called up the Blackburn office and explained that my intended Bride-to-be was here on a Visitor Visa and due to go back to the U.S. within the next couple of weeks and that I'd been told we should give notice of marriage before booking the venue. I asked them if we're fine to give notice on the Visitor Visa and they said yes but that we'd need to give some extra evidence during the interview which they booked in.

We attended the appointment and gave notice of marriage which all seemed fine but was told that it would have to be referred to the Home Office and we'd hear back in the next 28 days (nothing so far). This rang a few alarm bells for me and I started looking into the Immigration laws for notice of marriage and have since realised that we messed up and had inadvertently broken the terms of the Visa...  :(

Bit annoyed that the Registration Office didn't warn us about this or seem to know but do see that it's our own fault for not double checking first.

My Girlfriend is back in the U.S. now and we're looking to apply for the Fiancé Visa to get married around October or November.

I'm left with a few questions now...

1) Will this mess with an application for the Fiancé Visa? Planned on applying this weekend.
2) What's the best way to deal with this when applying? I'm guessing it's best to be upfront about it and maybe send some kind of cover letter with the supporting documents.
3) What proof can we actually give for intent to marry? All I've got so far is a receipt for the engagement ring.

Any info would be most appreciated.

Thanks!  :)

• Liked: 3595
Re: Proof of Intent to Marry / We Messed Up
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 02:09:12 PM »
It's not a problem.

All you need for proof of intent to marry is an email chain with the Registry office inquiring about possible date for the ceremony.

That's it. Though you can also include things like receipts/pictures of the rings and dress, wedding invitation etc.

You do not need to book anything, and you do not need to give notice before applying for the visa.

While it is possible to give notice as a visitor, you really should wait until you have the fiance visa before you give notice... because without the fiance visa, your case will referred to UKVI and it could take up to 70 days to be approved instead of 28 days.

So, to answer your questions:

1) No, it shouldn't affect the application for the fiance visa, though you could see if you can withdraw your notice to marry.

2) Just explain the situation in your sponsor letter... that you have given notice as a visitor, but that it hasn't been approved yet

3) Send the receipt for the engagement ring and see if you can get an email chain or a letter from the registry office asking about possible available dates in September/October.

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 02:22:37 PM »
That's a relief. Thanks  :)

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 02:29:36 PM »
Are there any good sources for an example checklist of supporting documents to send?

(I'll be so happy when I'm done with all this Visa stuff. So stressful!  ;D)

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 02:32:58 PM »
Are there any good sources for an example checklist of supporting documents to send?

(I'll be so happy when I'm done with all this Visa stuff. So stressful!  ;D)

There's no set list of documents, as everyone's situation will be slightly different and so will need different documents.

Essentially, it's easiest if you can post a list of what you have, and then we can let you know if anything is missing or you have things you don't need.

You need documents to cover:

- Financial Requirement (documents needed depend on which Category you meet)

- Accommodation in the UK (documents needed depend on whether you rent, own or will live with family)

- Proof of relationship (evidence of trips to see each other, letters/cards sent to each other, and regular communication while apart)

- Proof of intent to marry (correspondence with registry office, plus any evidence of planning, such as receipts/pictures)

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 03:02:11 PM »
Also be sure to not book ANYTHING until you have the visa.  A few people missed their weddings last year!!

Sponsored Links