Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Arrrgh, the Irish bureaucracy and the things it causes.....  (Read 5368 times)

• Liked: 672
Re: Arrrgh, the Irish bureaucracy and the things it causes.....
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2018, 09:45:10 AM »
Thanks! And now I can apply for my UK learner's license. Which requires sending the passport off again, I believe. My passports travel more than I do!

And yesterday I found out that, contrary to what I was told at the bank a couple of months ago, they do not have an active presence or a partner bank in the ROI where a RBS bank draft would clear through. Thus, the Euro bank draft I need (that has to be drawn on an Irish bank) can't be obtained from RBS.

So, I am in the process of getting a R.o.I. bank account by mail, which (of course) requires certified documents (again). Once that's set up, I can have it provide an Euro bank draft and get on with the rest of my dealings with the Irish government. No real damage done, other than something that should have been done a few months ago is now delayed by a few more weeks.  8)

Learning quite a bit about the Irish banking system in the process. The government taxes every checkbook you order, every check you write, every debit card use.... yoiks! 

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2018, 09:51:40 AM »
Nan...for you.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Just saw this when replying to the thread! (For some reason, I'm not seeing anything that's a link?) Thanks for that!

[smiley=laugh4.gif]

Well, actually, I haven't seen Friends, either.  ;)  I love that older lady's attitude, too!

Could only watch a few moments, have to sit and see the whole thing a bit later on.

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2018, 09:42:57 AM »
ARRRRRRRRRRRGHHHHHH!

Went through positive contortions to get an Irish bank account open so that I can get a bank draft drawn on an Irish bank (requirement of Irish govmt.). Prior to opening I phoned and discussed in detail the purpose for the account - need to have a reserve account and need to be able to occasionally have drafts to the Irish government drawn on it. Okie dokie, all fine.

So, today I'm getting ready to fund the account, and called to verify that they'd put me in the "old people's account" - which is what I'd requested. (Over sixties, free, etc.)  No, but they could upgrade me.

Ok, started that with them, and then asked about how long it would take to get a draft sent. Oh, gosh, they don't do bank drafts. But they can send me a personal check to use.

JEEZUS H KEYRIST. 

Ok, trying another Irish bank. Have 14 days to close the first one, or proceed with "upgrading" it to the old people's account. Will probably do the latter, in case the second bank will not open an account for me. Won't be useful for anything other than having a bank account in Euros in an EU country, which may be needed, depending on Brexit.

SO, two trips to the city council to get things certified, back and forth, etc., was wasted. Now have to cancel appointment I finally got with the JP because I won't have a bank draft in the next 30 days to send in with paperwork we need to send to the Irish government.

I am SO freaking over all this! [smiley=shout.gif] [smiley=shout.gif]
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 11:27:26 AM by Nan D. »

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2018, 03:35:23 PM »
ARRRRRRRRRRRGHHHHHH!

Went through positive contortions to get an Irish bank account open so that I can get a bank draft drawn on an Irish bank (requirement of Irish govmt.). Prior to opening I phoned and discussed in detail the purpose for the account - need to have a reserve account and need to be able to occasionally have drafts to the Irish government drawn on it. Okie dokie, all fine.

So, today I'm getting ready to fund the account, and called to verify that they'd put me in the "old people's account" - which is what I'd requested. (Over sixties, free, etc.)  No, but they could upgrade me.

Ok, started that with them, and then asked about how long it would take to get a draft sent. Oh, gosh, they don't do bank drafts. But they can send me a personal check to use.

JEEZUS H KEYRIST. 

Ok, trying another Irish bank. Have 14 days to close the first one, or proceed with "upgrading" it to the old people's account. Will probably do the latter, in case the second bank will not open an account for me. Won't be useful for anything other than having a bank account in Euros in an EU country, which may be needed, depending on Brexit.

SO, two trips to the city council to get things certified, back and forth, etc., was wasted. Now have to cancel appointment I finally got with the JP because I won't have a bank draft in the next 30 days to send in with paperwork we need to send to the Irish government.

I am SO freaking over all this! [smiley=shout.gif] [smiley=shout.gif]

Oh NO! I would call the first bank again just to be on the safe side. It's possible that you were misinformed about them not doing bank drafts.

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2018, 04:52:32 PM »
No, I did. They are an "internet only" bank, and contrary to what I was told when I called initially to inquire about accounts, they do NOT do bank drafts.

Now working with Ulster Bank. 
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 05:05:20 PM by Nan D. »

« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2018, 03:31:17 PM »
OK THEN

Back to the Irish. 

I sent in the paper request for a new passport with my new name, and all the items they requested. I paid extra to get it done quickly.

Several weeks, then "oh, you didn't turn your passport card in - everything's on hold until you turn your passport card in."

They required that I return my passport card in my old name before they would issue me a new passport in my new name. Nothing to this effect was in the instructions for the new passport, but ok. Whatever. I shipped "signed for" to London my passport card.

Three more weeks.

They sent the passport - and even got the name correct.

So I re-applied for a new passport card in the new name about 10 days ago.

After a week of dicking around, they have cancelled my application because they need to know the specifics of my old one. Which I no longer have, as they required that I send it back to them before they would issue my new passport in my new name.

They are "refunding my money in due course" and I can reapply when the above issue is "addressed adequately."

I have just sent a rather terse, concise, message to them.

What a bunch of freaking idi..... nevermind.

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2018, 03:56:43 PM »
OK THEN

Back to the Irish. 

I sent in the paper request for a new passport with my new name, and all the items they requested. I paid extra to get it done quickly.

Several weeks, then "oh, you didn't turn your passport card in - everything's on hold until you turn your passport card in."

They required that I return my passport card in my old name before they would issue me a new passport in my new name. Nothing to this effect was in the instructions for the new passport, but ok. Whatever. I shipped "signed for" to London my passport card.

Three more weeks.

They sent the passport - and even got the name correct.

So I re-applied for a new passport card in the new name about 10 days ago.

After a week of dicking around, they have cancelled my application because they need to know the specifics of my old one. Which I no longer have, as they required that I send it back to them before they would issue my new passport in my new name.

They are "refunding my money in due course" and I can reapply when the above issue is "addressed adequately."

I have just sent a rather terse, concise, message to them.

What a bunch of freaking idi..... nevermind.

Oh, Nan! You could not make this stuff up!  You have my sincere sympathies! Maybe a stiff drink would help?  :)

« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2018, 05:26:04 PM »
I wish I could drink!

Check the latest from the Royal Mail on the lost check to the USA.

And make it a double.

« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2018, 10:15:54 AM »
Just for snits and giggles, I'm going to keep track of it here.

Paraphrased webchat with DFA this morning (only a half-hour wait in the que, pretty darned fast for them!):

Issue input into the system where it asks why I am contacting them - "I recently obtained a new passport in my new name. I had to return my passport card before the new-name passport could be issued. I now have the new passport. I need a new-name passport card. I applied and the application has been cancelled, with a vague request for info on "existing" card. Which you have."

DFA Response -  How can I help you today?

My Answer - paraphrased above. Told them the order had been cancelled for  reason stated.

...Long Pause....

DFA Response - Oh, well, since there's more than 6 months valid left on the card you'll have to wait a little longer and then reapply.

My Answer- The card is not valid as my name has changed. And DFA has the card. Also, it would have expired Sept 2018, so two not six months. Please advise?

DFA Response - Do you have the new passport?

My Answer - Yes, I do. I now need a new passport card in the same, new name. You have the old card.

...Long pause...

DFA Response - Oh, then you'll have to discuss this with the team handling it. Provided email address of the same entity that said I needed to provide details on my "current" card.

Have a nice day, etc.

---------------------------------

Sent the following email to DFA:

Referencing file xxxxxxxxxxxx

I have just spoken with your "chat" service and they recommended I provide you more info.

I changed my name legally.
I obtained a new passport in the new name.
As part of the process, I was required to return my old-name passport card (exp date Sept 2018) to London embassy before the passport would be released.
The new passport is now in my posession.
The old-name passport card was not returned.
I need a new passport card in my new name.
I have applied using the information on my new passport.
You have cancelled the application for reasons unknown.

The old name was:  XXXXXXXX XXXXXX
The old passport card number, as best I can tell from a poor photocopy I kept, was XXXXXX.

The new name is: XXXXXXXX
My new passport number is: XXXXXXXX

Please advise what needs to happen to get this card? I do not want to go through the process of re-applying if I'm going to get the same response - cancellation of the application.  I am planning travel next month, so it would be VERY helpful if you could process the card to me prior to that time.

Thank you

Me

----------------------

So, we'll see what happens next. Time to make the popcorn.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 10:21:14 AM by Nan D. »

« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2018, 08:21:15 PM »
OK, so I've been out of town. I get home this evening and find a message on my phone from the Irish passport card people - no number left to return the call. Apparently they also tried my cell, but I was out of cell range for the last few days. SO.....

Emailed Reply from Ireland:

Good morning,

Thank you for your email.

In relation to your query regarding your passport card application, I can confirm that the application was rejected as your current passport card has more than 6 months validity remaining.

To avoid this problem in the future we suggest that you select that your previous passport card has been lost/stolen on the application in order to override this feature. Once you receive the new passport card in the new name you can then contact us via this email address and we can make a note that your previous passport card has not been lost on the system

Kind Regards

XXXXXX
Customer Relations Team
Passport Service Ireland

My Reply to Their Reply:

Dear XXXX,

My passport card under my old name of (old name here)  was due to expire 18 Sept 2018. How is that six months? 15 July 2018 to 18 September 2018 is just over two months.

I returned that card at the Passport Office's request before they would release my new-name passport (new name here).   I do not now have a passport card. Your passport office has my old-name passport card that expires 18 Sept 2018.

I have a new passport, but never received or paid for an updated-name passport card prior to the application for a replacement in my new name that your office has just cancelled.

I found a photocopy (albeit not a very good one) of that old-name card, and tried your application system again using what I think the number is and my new name, (new name here).

It would be very much appreciated if you could enter this information into your system so that when it pops up that the name on the old card does not match the application (number here) in my new name the application does not get cancelled again.

I'm sorry I was not home to take your call - etc. etc. etc.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 08:23:37 PM by Nan D. »

« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2018, 02:16:25 PM »
Response from Ireland:

Thank you for your email making us aware of this. I have made a note of your situation and all the information on the file so that the person checking the application is aware.

Should there be any issues with the application our online team will be in touch with you via email.

« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2018, 04:22:56 PM »
Back to banks...

So, Ulster Bank. (Bank #2) I phoned them three weeks ago to make sure they'd received my application, sent via RBS. Yes, they did. I should hear something "in about a week."

So yesterday, not having heard anything, I phoned. They had to physically go look for it while I was on hold for what seemed forever (it wasn't, just seemed it.) Found it in a "to be re-scanned" pile. Apparently everything was in order, they just "couldn't see it on the system". After three weeks. The guy apologized profusely, said it shouldn't have taken three weeks, would try to expedite it through this week.

Sigh. That's ... so Irish.

The Passport Card.  They cancelled the first attempt as the embassy had never cancelled my original one. The original was in the old name. And expired in Sept. For whatever reason everyone on that end, regardless of who it was, seemed to think there was more than 6 months left on it and thus cancelled my application for a replacement with the new name on it. I sent terse messages to both places. The embassy popped up and apologized for the [several month] delay and cancelled the old one.
More email back and forth.
Applied again.  It gurgled for a week, then was canceled because they said the birth date on the application I'd done didn't match what was on my passport. Having a screen cap showing what I'd submitted was a good idea there.
More email back and forth.
Applied AGAIN (#3 here) and am still waiting. It is supposed to hypothetically be ready next week.

Once it arrives, I can send it to the Brit driving license people, who were kind enough to give me a 60 day extension to the deadline to so so. Which, at the rate this is going I am going to need every day of.

THEN I can start my driving lessons. Which I really want to get out of the way before the Uni students get back to town. 8)

Then I can take my driving test. If I pass it, I can then book flights back to the States over the winter. (Can't go back if I don't have a driver's license, as there's no way to get around SoCal without renting a car.)

Can then also send in the Daughter's petition for naturalization, which has been waiting for two months now on not being able to provide a draft for the fees. (It has to be drawn on an Irish bank.) We'll have to go to the JP and get them to re-sign the paperwork, as it's now out of date. We had to redo the actual application form, because they changed it while we were waiting. And one of her character witnesses is now quite ill and may not actually live long enough to provide a reference if this drags out the six months to a year we expect it to take.

It. Just. Never. Ends. ::)   :(
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 04:25:04 PM by Nan D. »

« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2018, 10:28:03 AM »
Ok, online tracker said "printing" for a few days earlier in the week.
Then  said it was mailed at 04:50 on  Wednesday.
It was leaving the country 06:04 Friday morning.
Through UK international center (Heathrow - HWDC) today (Saturday) at 0:450.
So probably Monday or Tuesday arrival, I'd guess, as there's no delivery on Sundays.

Not a peep from Ulster Bank.

« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2018, 12:00:31 PM »
And, the passport card is here! I can now take it to the PO to send off with the driving license application. (Enclosing a tracked envelope, self addressed.)

Nothing from UlsterBank yet. I had phoned them last Monday and they said "oops". They had it and it was in the pile to be re-scanned. He was going to  "expedite" it.  I should have heard something by now. Sigh.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 12:38:51 PM by Nan D. »

« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2018, 12:31:31 PM »
Ah, the bank.

I phoned a moment ago. The woman who answered could not help me because I don't already have an account open, but sent a message to the Donegal branch (which is where I wanted to open the account). Donegal just phoned me and says they have absolutely nothing related to the account.

SO, I took it to RBS. RBS sent it to the processing center in Belfast. The processing center confirmed a week later that they received it. Last Monday a gent had it and said there had been problems scanning it into the system, so he was going to try everything to expedite that.  Today I call and find that not only is it not in the system, nobody seems to know where it is - a month after it was sent via RBS internal mail. :-\\\\

The lady there at the branch who phoned is going to try to find out where it is and email me.

God, I just love dealing with Irish systems.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 12:39:54 PM by Nan D. »

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab