Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Ok, how do you know when your taxes are decided?  (Read 569 times)

• Liked: 676
Ok, how do you know when your taxes are decided?
« on: May 19, 2018, 09:09:28 PM »
I started to file my taxes on the HMRC online website, but changed to filing a paper return. I never submitted the online version.  I look at my HMRC online account tonight and it says they received the paper copy on 27 April. When I go to my online account it says I owe nothing for 2017/18 (which is actually the hoped-for outcome).  However the message there says

"Tax year ending 05 Apr 2018.  This is a copy of the information held on your official online Self Assessment tax account with HM Revenue and Customs."

So, is that only picking up the aborted online tax form that I never actually submitted, have they issued a decision on the account (would I not get something by mail?), or it it simply that they haven't gotten around to looking at my return yet? How do I know which is the case? 

Do they actually even update the online information if you don't use the online system to submit a return?

• Liked: 6110
Re: Ok, how do you know when your taxes are decided?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2018, 01:20:35 AM »
I started to file my taxes on the HMRC online website, but changed to filing a paper return. I never submitted the online version.  I look at my HMRC online account tonight and it says they received the paper copy on 27 April. When I go to my online account it says I owe nothing for 2017/18 (which is actually the hoped-for outcome).  However the message there says

"Tax year ending 05 Apr 2018.  This is a copy of the information held on your official online Self Assessment tax account with HM Revenue and Customs."

So, is that only picking up the aborted online tax form that I never actually submitted, have they issued a decision on the account (would I not get something by mail?), or it it simply that they haven't gotten around to looking at my return yet? How do I know which is the case? 

Do they actually even update the online information if you don't use the online system to submit a return?

That just means that they haven't processed your return yet.

I file on paper every year but use the online system to check on the progress of the return. The system will update when they have done the calculations.  :)

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2018, 08:16:54 AM »
Thanks.

Do they send you something to let you know, or do you just have to periodically check online?

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2018, 08:58:37 AM »
Thanks.

Do they send you something to let you know, or do you just have to periodically check online?

You will receive a letter containing your tax calculation but you will find that your online account will update before the letter arrives to you.  :)

• Liked: 718
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2018, 08:59:57 AM »
Thanks.

I don’t recall receiving anything (but probably did) as I checked online each week and within 2 or 3 weeks I could see that it had been processed and my schedule of payments due by end of January and July. The details of the return were not available on line.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 09:01:15 AM by durhamlad »
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 102
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2018, 11:07:14 AM »
The UK system is a self-assessment system. You will have self-assessed your income, gains and tax and included any white space disclosure you feel appropriate to limit HMRCs powers of making a later discovery assessment. Processing is no more than that. It has no indication that anyone at HMRC has read or agreed any data provided.

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2018, 11:45:22 AM »
It has no indication that anyone at HMRC has read or agreed any data provided.

Maybe if you apply online but when applying on paper I am fairly sure that the figures are at least read by a person.  For example, in the tax calculation letters that I have received, there are sometimes comments acknowledging something that I have noted in my return.

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2018, 10:52:10 PM »
It does say in the paper form that they will calculate the tax due. (form SA100 Page TR6). I also had the option of calculating the tax due myself. I chose to let them calculate it for me, based on the information I provided to them.  I am actually not expecting a tax bill this year, as the only income I reported that should be taxable in the UK is about 8K worth of 403B distributions (but those have already been taxed in the USA, which I did note).  Next year I will potentially be paying UK taxes on my Social Security income that goes over the personal allowance.

So, eventually I will see the updated info online and get a paper response from them.  It took a week for them to officially receive and log my paperwork, so that means it's only really been about three and a half weeks since I sent it in. I will start checking online in a few more weeks, then.

Thanks.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 10:56:39 PM by Nan D. »

Sponsored Links