Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Yet another basket case with a spouse visa  (Read 1177 times)

• Liked: 0
Yet another basket case with a spouse visa
« on: May 20, 2018, 04:29:52 AM »
Hello everyone.

I've been trolling the forums for the last month or so as I am finishing up with the online application for my spouse visa. And, like a lot of people here, I am not entirely sure I am doing things correctly and would like to ask the smarter hive mind.

I have been taking care of my Mom who just recently died of cancer. This means I can actually go to England to be with my husband. But there are different visa types and I don't want to spend $2,000 picking the wrong one.

1. When applying on the new visa website, they don't have a family/spouse visa. All I saw was settlement. Filling out the online application looked to be asking the questions I figured were along the lines of the what they would ask for a spouse visa. So, as of right now, my visa is the settlement, settlement, wife application and I think that's right as the end goal is to, in fact, settle in the UK with my husband.

2. On the VAF4 appendix 2 form for the application for family settlement, there is the question in section 3 about meeting the financial requirement. My husband makes more than the £18,600 required and has been working at his current wage for over a year. I can't seem to find documentation that explains what 'Category A' or 'Category B' are. From reading all of your amazing responses I've realized that I need my husband to send me at least 6 months of pay slips to show he meets that requirement.

3. This PDF seems to have the list of everything I need to include in my packet to send with my application. It seems fairly straight forward and my brother (who, although he didn't move to the UK but to Norway and has their version of the ILR), looked at it and said it should be fairly straight forward. It seems that way but it also seems as if the supporting documents are a much bigger deal than what that PDF suggests. Should/do I need to be über paranoid about everything? Or do I just need to trust that PDF and include everything it says and not worry overly much. I know a lot of you have been saying it's a tick box: does applicant have A yes or no. And if applicant has all "yes" then chances are the applicant gets the visa. As I said, it seems fairly straight forward but...

4. I'm aware of the added expense of making my visa a priority application, but I haven't seen how I can apply and pay for that. I remember having paid for it when I had my student visa back in 2011 (and that was a headache!) but I can't remember if that's something you pay for once you've paid for your visa or earlier. This is definitely something I am willing to pay as I want would rather not have to wait 12 weeks for a decision if I can get it priority and get a faster one.

Mainly, I don't have the luxury of time to resubmit an application. With my mother's passing, my siblings and I are simply not able to maintain the house where I have been taking care of her during her battle with cancer and we're going to have to sell it sooner rather than later. My brother, who is the executor of the estate, figures that we can keep the house through July but not much longer.

I thank you all for your wisdom, guidance, and expert advice. I was very fortunate to have found this community when I was applying for my student visa and I'm quite glad it's still around to help out now!

edit: I saw this thread and began to worry that what I was intending on including (printed copies of my husband's scanned pay slips) might not good enough as people were saying they needed to be certified by HR. ack!
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 04:32:11 AM by ehmygirl »
Feb 2008 met on an online webcom forum
2009 started developing friendship
2010 got accepted to University of Hull
Aug 2011 got student visa
Sept 21, 2011 arrived in Manchester
Jan 23, 2103 visa expired, had to return home
Feb. 2, 2105 complicated divorce is finally granted!
April 20, '15, get hitched

• Liked: 156
Re: Yet another basket case with a spouse visa
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2018, 05:41:18 AM »
Let me see if I can help a little. I am also submitting mine soon.

You will need original payslips (6 month worth), a job letter, his contract and bank statement (6 month worth as well to show the salary)...preferably originals or signed and stamped to confirm that they are originals.

You will have the application fee, NHS fee (mandatory) , priority and courier.

Priority will get you ahead of the pile it,  you will pay for this on the vfs site, where you can also pay for courier service.

You will also need an accommodation letter giving you permission to live with him, if he is renting. If he owns the house you just need the land registry and I think a letter from him about the accommodation.

It's a check box Visa, as I have seen here several times and have seen it repeated multiple times.
So you will need to check the boxes of finances and accommodation, you also need proof of relationship (marriage certificate, a few pics and screenshots of communication-whatsapp etc)

There is a detailed list somewhere on this site. It takes a lot of triple checking, but if your cases is straightforward you should be able to have the Visa hopefully by July but you would need to apply soon as this is the busy period and I think priority is up to 60days.

Also after you submit your application and do biometrics you only have 5 days for it to get to Sheffield, so make sure you have all the evidence together before hitting submit.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2018, 05:42:34 AM »
Hello everyone.

I've been trolling the forums for the last month or so as I am finishing up with the online application for my spouse visa. And, like a lot of people here, I am not entirely sure I am doing things correctly and would like to ask the smarter hive mind.

I have been taking care of my Mom who just recently died of cancer. This means I can actually go to England to be with my husband. But there are different visa types and I don't want to spend $2,000 picking the wrong one.

1. When applying on the new visa website, they don't have a family/spouse visa. All I saw was settlement. Filling out the online application looked to be asking the questions I figured were along the lines of the what they would ask for a spouse visa. So, as of right now, my visa is the settlement, settlement, wife application and I think that's right as the end goal is to, in fact, settle in the UK with my husband.

2. On the VAF4 appendix 2 form for the application for family settlement, there is the question in section 3 about meeting the financial requirement. My husband makes more than the £18,600 required and has been working at his current wage for over a year. I can't seem to find documentation that explains what 'Category A' or 'Category B' are. From reading all of your amazing responses I've realized that I need my husband to send me at least 6 months of pay slips to show he meets that requirement.

3. This PDF seems to have the list of everything I need to include in my packet to send with my application. It seems fairly straight forward and my brother (who, although he didn't move to the UK but to Norway and has their version of the ILR), looked at it and said it should be fairly straight forward. It seems that way but it also seems as if the supporting documents are a much bigger deal than what that PDF suggests. Should/do I need to be über paranoid about everything? Or do I just need to trust that PDF and include everything it says and not worry overly much. I know a lot of you have been saying it's a tick box: does applicant have A yes or no. And if applicant has all "yes" then chances are the applicant gets the visa. As I said, it seems fairly straight forward but...

4. I'm aware of the added expense of making my visa a priority application, but I haven't seen how I can apply and pay for that. I remember having paid for it when I had my student visa back in 2011 (and that was a headache!) but I can't remember if that's something you pay for once you've paid for your visa or earlier. This is definitely something I am willing to pay as I want would rather not have to wait 12 weeks for a decision if I can get it priority and get a faster one.

Mainly, I don't have the luxury of time to resubmit an application. With my mother's passing, my siblings and I are simply not able to maintain the house where I have been taking care of her during her battle with cancer and we're going to have to sell it sooner rather than later. My brother, who is the executor of the estate, figures that we can keep the house through July but not much longer.

I thank you all for your wisdom, guidance, and expert advice. I was very fortunate to have found this community when I was applying for my student visa and I'm quite glad it's still around to help out now!

edit: I saw this thread and began to worry that what I was intending on including (printed copies of my husband's scanned pay slips) might not good enough as people were saying they needed to be certified by HR. ack!

Before you do anything else, you need to do some important reading.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/636618/Appendix_FM_1_7_Financial_Requirement_Final.pdf

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigration-rules/immigration-rules-appendix-fm-se-family-members-specified-evidence

1-Settlement, Settlement, Wife is correct.
But do not submit the online application until you have all of your supporting evidence completely ready to go.

2-Explained in the links I gave but you will need more than just 6 months of pay statements.

3-That is just the old paper form VAF4A. It is not a list of what you need to send. You should try to come up with your own list of how you are going to meet the financial, accommodation and relationship requirements. Once you have done that, post it here and we will let you know if there is anything that you are missing.

4-https://www.vfsglobal.co.uk/usa/user_pay_services.html

• Liked: 156
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2018, 05:43:44 AM »
Hello everyone.

Settlement...settlement...wife is correct

Also on the financial section you will be category A as you are using 6 months worth of payslip from the job he has held for the past year.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• Liked: 3589
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2018, 07:24:36 AM »
Welcome to the forum :).

As larrabee said above, DO NOT submit the online application until you have thoroughly researched the visa requirements, have gathered all the supporting documents, your husband has mailed you all of his supporting documents and your documents package is filled and completely ready to mail to Sheffield.

The documents requirements are pretty strict and if even one document is missing or not in the right format, or is even 1 day short of 6 months, the visa can be refused.

You need to meet 3 main requirements for the visa, and provide the specified documents for each of them:

Finances
For Category A (he has been with his current employer for at least 6 months and earning at least £18,600 for all of that time), you need:
- 6 full months of ORIGINAL payslips (either printed by the company or accompanied by a letter of authenticity from the company) showing at least £1550 before tax on each on, the latest dated no more than 28 days before the date you submit the online application

- 6 full months of ORIGINAL bank statements (either mailed by the bank, or stamped by the bank on EVERY page/accompanied by a letter of authenticity from the bank) showing the deposit of every payslip, the latest dated no more than 28 days before the date you submit the online application

- a letter from his employer, dated no more than 28 days before the date you submit the online application, stating ALL of the following:
i) current employment and salary
ii) length of employment
iii) length of time earning current salary
iv) type of employment

Optional but recommended as they may ask for them:
- his original job contract
- his latest P60

Accommodation
You need evidence of guaranteed accommodation for you both to live in in the UK. The documents required will depend if your husband rents, owns, or lives with family/friends.

Relationship
You need to provide:
- original marriage certificate
- 1-2 photos of you together
- boarding passes from trips to see each other
- cards/letters sent to each other
- evidence of regular communication while apart, such as email inbox screenshots, Skype call logs etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2018, 08:42:25 AM »
Thank you all.

I know that much of this information has been repeated a zillion times and I thank you for your patience in going over it again.  :D

I was right in thinking that it looks quite straightforward but really isn't, it's a beast. Happily I've got the application saved, but I've not paid for it yet. :)

My husband has been working the night shift lately so it's been hard to sit down and have a facetime to facetime with him and go over all of this. I have sent him the link to this thread so I'm going to assume that when he wakes up later today, he'll have a look see.

And I will definitely list the items I've got in my hot little hands when I'm ready to submit so those who are much more experienced in this than I am can make sure I'm solid and ready to go. I just don't want to mess this up and I'm afraid that I will. sigh.

Yet another basket case with a spouse visa
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2018, 09:01:36 AM »
I was right in thinking that it looks quite straightforward but really isn't, it's a beast. Happily I've got the application saved, but I've not paid for it yet. :)

It's straightforward in that if you meet the requirements and send all the documents, the visa will be granted.

The not-so-straightforward bit is that you can’t just submit and hope for the best... because that will result in a refusal. You need to do your research and make sure you know exactly what documents must be sent, and that you have ALL the documents in your hands, ready to go, before submitting the online application.

We've had some situations where people have submitted the application without really knowing what documents are needed and then they struggle to gather everything in time, or they find after they've applied that they don't meet the requirements after all.

So the key is not to rush it, but to take your time and make sure you've dotted all the i's and crossed all the t's before you submit anything.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 09:38:06 AM by ksand24 »

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2018, 09:18:53 AM »
I am definitely going to be following all of you guys' advice and NOT submit a blasted thing until I have everything. I have spoken to Himself and he is going to work on getting those documents from the bank and the hospital (where he works), including the P60 (just to be on the safe side).

It's straightforward in that if you meet the requirements and send all the documents, the visa will be granted.

The not-so-straightforward bit is that you can just submit and hope for the best... because that will result in a refusal. You need to do your research and make sure you know exactly what documents must be sent, and that you have ALL the documents in your hands, ready to go, before submitting the online application.

We've had some situations where people have submitted the application without really knowing what documents are needed and then they struggle to gather everything in time, or they find after they've applied that they don't meet the requirements after all.

So the key is not to rush it, but to take your time and make sure you've dotted all the i's and crossed all the t's before you submit anything.

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2018, 09:23:12 AM »
I am definitely going to be following all of you guys' advice and NOT submit a blasted thing until I have everything. I have spoken to Himself and he is going to work on getting those documents from the bank and the hospital (where he works), including the P60 (just to be on the safe side).

For the financial documents, everything needs to be in the correct format and be dated within 28 days of the online application.

The second of the links I gave upthread explains exactly what format the documents should be in.

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2018, 07:20:21 PM »
Follow up question:

My husband got in touch with the lettings agents about permissions for me moving in with him and he got in return a digital pamphlet about the UK's 'Right to Rent' in return. I suggested that he gets back in touch with them and see if they will send him a letter saying that, once I am legally in the country, and can prove to them I have right to rent, I will be allowed to live on the property.

He's with Reed Raines, if that makes any difference.

I have a feeling, however, that a letter saying that I'd have permission to 'rent' the property with my husband only After I came here isn't going to impress the Home Office too much. What does he need to ask them to provide if they're not willing to give him a letter, on company letterhead, saying that I have the right to live there?

He doesn't live with family, but would it be possible to get a letter from a family member, such as his aunt and uncle who live close by, saying that I would have permission to live with them when I first come to the UK? I'm thinking that that is also a no-go and something else that would make the person looking over my application at the Home Office unimpressed.

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2018, 07:43:41 PM »
I have a feeling, however, that a letter saying that I'd have permission to 'rent' the property with my husband only After I came here isn't going to impress the Home Office too much.

No, that is EXACTLY what you need. In fact, it’s the only thing you can provide, because you don’t have the right to live in the U.K. yet.

All you need to provide is evidence that the landlord gives their permission for you to live in the property AFTER your visa has been granted.

What does he need to ask them to provide if they're not willing to give him a letter, on company letterhead, saying that I have the right to live there?

But you don’t have the right to live there, so they can’t legally write that in a letter. If they rent to you before you have a visa, they are breaking the law and can be fined £3,000.

Which is why they sent the digital pamphlet about ‘Right to Rent’... because you don’t have the right to rent yet.

He doesn't live with family, but would it be possible to get a letter from a family member, such as his aunt and uncle who live close by, saying that I would have permission to live with them when I first come to the UK? I'm thinking that that is also a no-go and something else that would make the person looking over my application at the Home Office unimpressed.

That is also perfectly fine to send and is exactly what is needed if you will live with family.

They would need to provide:
- a letter giving you and your partner permission to live in the property after the visa has been granted and stating it will not be overcrowded
- their Land Registry document showing they own the property

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2018, 07:48:09 PM »
The official accommodation requirements state:

11. MAA11 Adequacy of accommodation
The ECO’s judgement should be based on the evidence from the applicant. If the ECO is not sure of the credibility of the applicant, he / she should ask to see a letter from the owner of the property (which may be a housing authority, housing association, landlord or a building society). This should confirm particulars of tenure and occupation of the dwelling, together with a description of the accommodation and, if rented, a copy of the lease.

The onus is on the applicant to provide confirmation that there is no objection to an additional resident moving into the accommodation.

See: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/maintenance-and-accommodation-maa/maintenance-and-accommodation-maa--2#maa11-adequacy-of-accommodation

So you either need to provide:

If renting:
- original tenancy agreement in your sponsor’s name
- a letter from the landlord stating that  they give you permission to live in the property after the visa has been granted

If you will live with family or friends:
- a letter from the homeowner stating that you and your sponsor have permission to live there after your visa has been granted and stating the property will not be overcrowded (number of living + bedrooms and number of people)
- their Land Registry document
Optional:
- their latest original mortgage statement

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2018, 02:08:05 AM »
No, that is EXACTLY what you need. In fact, it’s the only thing you can provide, because you don’t have the right to live in the U.K. yet.

All you need to provide is evidence that the landlord gives their permission for you to live in the property AFTER your visa has been granted.

Brilliant, thank you! I was afraid that there was some sort of catch 22 situation going on. I'll let him know to ask them for a letter saying I'll have the right to rent after I get my visa then.

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2018, 06:40:15 PM »
Hello hive mind! You instructed me to make sure I talk to you before I submit my online application for my settlement visa. I listen and obey (even if my siblings think I'm making a bigger deal out of my visa paranoia than is necessary)!

So I've finally got the things I believe I need from my husband:

1. Proof of finances
1a. He's sent me a letter from HR confirming his employment for 12+months, and from 12+months he's been earning £18600+.
 1b. I also have 9 months of pay-slips for 9 months signed b HR, the most recent dated for June 30.
1c. copies of bank statements from July 3 back to January stamped by his bank

2. Residency
I have a letter from the lettings agency giving me permission to reside at my husband's residence so long as I meet the legal requirements to rent.

3. He's emailing me a picture of his passport

4. I have some boarding passes of his trips to visit me and my trips to visit him

5. I have a payslip that has an address with his name on it as well as a Save the Date that is addressed to to the both of us at the same addy as his old payslip.

6. I have the original divorce decree from when he got divorced

7. I have our original California marriage certificate

8. I have printed up pictures of the two of us, the two of us with both sides of the family

9. I still need to get a passport picture

10. I have my most recent passport but not old ones. On my online application I wrote that my old passports were lost, which is why I cannot produce them.

Can you amazing people think of anything I might be missing?

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2018, 06:49:46 PM »
Hello hive mind! You instructed me to make sure I talk to you before I submit my online application for my settlement visa. I listen and obey (even if my siblings think I'm making a bigger deal out of my visa paranoia than is necessary)!

So I've finally got the things I believe I need from my husband:

1. Proof of finances
1a. He's sent me a letter from HR confirming his employment for 12+months, and from 12+months he's been earning £18600+.
 1b. I also have 9 months of pay-slips for 9 months signed b HR, the most recent dated for June 30.
1c. copies of bank statements from July 3 back to January stamped by his bank

2. Residency
I have a letter from the lettings agency giving me permission to reside at my husband's residence so long as I meet the legal requirements to rent.

3. He's emailing me a picture of his passport

4. I have some boarding passes of his trips to visit me and my trips to visit him

5. I have a payslip that has an address with his name on it as well as a Save the Date that is addressed to to the both of us at the same addy as his old payslip.

6. I have the original divorce decree from when he got divorced

7. I have our original California marriage certificate

8. I have printed up pictures of the two of us, the two of us with both sides of the family

9. I still need to get a passport picture

10. I have my most recent passport but not old ones. On my online application I wrote that my old passports were lost, which is why I cannot produce them.

Can you amazing people think of anything I might be missing?

Do the bank statements cover the 6 full months worth of pay statements?

It's a good idea to provide the original contract of employment and P60 although they are not mandatory.

You need to include the original tenancy agreement as well as the letter giving you permission to live there.

He needs to write a letter of support.

You need to show how you have been keeping in touch when you have been apart as well as evidence of any times spent living together.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab