Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Marriage in US then Spouse VISA to UK Question  (Read 535 times)

• Liked: 7
Marriage in US then Spouse VISA to UK Question
« on: May 20, 2018, 08:31:14 PM »
Hi all -

I'm a US citizen and my boyfriend is a UK citizen and we're trying to figure out which visa path (fiance or spouse) to take.

For those of you who live in the US and had your fiance come to the states, get married on a tourist visa, and then fly back, and then you went through the spouse visa process for the UK:
Did your spouse have any issues coming back into the US in the future on other tourist visas (for vacation,etc)? I'm curious if getting married on a previous tourist visa can make them question you on future tourist visas and potentially deny you entry into the US.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 08:41:42 PM by ML123 »
Spouse Visa
Priority: Yes
Online submission: January 20th
Biometrics: January 24th
Package sent: January 26th
Package Recieved in NY: January 29th
Sheffield received application: March 1st
Email asking for additional documents: March 5
Decision made email: March 12th
Passport recieved:  March 15th (yes!!)

• Liked: 6110
Re: Marriage in US then Spouse VISA to UK Question
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2018, 08:35:58 PM »
Hi all -

I'm a US citizen and my boyfriend is a UK citizen and we're trying to figure out which visa path (fiance or spouse) to take.

For those of you who live in the US and had your fiance come to the states, get married on a tourist visa, and then fly back, and then you went through the spouse visa process for the UK:
Did your spouse have any issues coming back into the US in the future on tourist visa? I'm curious if getting married on the tourist visa essentially "breaks the terms of the visa" and then on future trips the US may not let you in (because they think you may try to stay illegally).

Thanks!

It's perfectly legal to marry on the VWP as long as the intention is not to remain in the US. So as long as he is returning to the UK, you will be just fine both at the time and in the future.  :)

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2018, 08:46:54 PM »
It's perfectly legal to marry on the VWP as long as the intention is not to remain in the US. So as long as he is returning to the UK, you will be just fine both at the time and in the future.  :)

Thanks for the reply!

One followup - do you know how long the "intention to not remain in the US" lasts for? If we were to move to the UK for 10 years and then decide to move to the US - would we run into issues?
Spouse Visa

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2018, 08:47:56 PM »
Thanks for the reply!

One followup - do you know how long the "intention to not remain in the US" lasts for? If we were to move to the UK for 10 years and then decide to move to the US - would we run into issues?

Just for that trip! He can move there with you at any time by following the correct process.  :)

• Liked: 37
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2018, 10:13:38 PM »
My husband has been here 7 times (including the wedding) after getting married. He always brings some extra proof of his ties to the UK, such as return ticket, work contract, etc, but has never had any issues or really needed to use it. As long as you don't overstay and follow immigration rules there generally should not be problems.
Nationality:  US Citizen; husband is UK Citizen
First Spouse Visa - Applied Feb 2018, Approved May 2018
FLR(M) - Applied January 2021, Approved May 2021
ILR(M) - Applied May 2023, Approved June 2023
Citizenship - Pending Application

• Liked: 46
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2018, 12:21:28 AM »
My husband has been here 7 times (including the wedding) after getting married. He always brings some extra proof of his ties to the UK, such as return ticket, work contract, etc, but has never had any issues or really needed to use it. As long as you don't overstay and follow immigration rules there generally should not be problems.

My husband does the same. He hasn't been back since we were married in April, but he always brings proof of his return flight and proof of ties back in the UK to show his intention to return there. Just follow the rules and you'll be fine.  ;D
Married - 15th April 2018
Spouse visa approved - 16th July 2018
Arrived in the UK - 8th August 2018
FLR approved - 13th April 2021
Little one’s arrival - 18th March 2022
ILR approved - 27th Jan 2024

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2018, 02:47:12 AM »
Just for that trip! He can move there with you at any time by following the correct process.  :)

Thought of one more follow up... does UK immigration care if it’s just a small civil wedding? (Just us two at a court house) or do they want to see family there and a big ceremony?
Spouse Visa

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2018, 04:16:10 AM »
Thought of one more follow up... does UK immigration care if it’s just a small civil wedding? (Just us two at a court house) or do they want to see family there and a big ceremony?

No, not at all. The only requirement is that it is a legal wedding,  court house is just fine!  :)

Sponsored Links