Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Air Purifiers?  (Read 2533 times)

• Liked: 70
Re: Air Purifiers?
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2018, 11:54:12 AM »
Your husband sounds like me Larissa :( I learned the name for it when I was diagnosed with EDS, mast cell activation syndrome. There is also mastocytosis but that's more severe and the tests are a lot more conclusive, MCAS is more a diagnosis of exclusion and what treatments you respond to (mainly avoiding the things that make you sick and taking antihistamines). I'm still struggling in our rental because I cant get the scent the previous tenant used out of the blinds!

Yep!  I think so.  He's never been hospitalised and while uncomfortable, it's not deathly serious.  I'm not sure he's ever tried to get tested.  He researches everything to death so he must have come to the conclusion not to even try for a reason. 

I do wish we knew.  I know that he's the primary uncomfortable party, but he underestimates the position it puts others when he won't admit that there's a problem, delays taking antihistamines, and then feels terrible and is bitchy.  He dreads holidays or going anywhere (including parent's houses) and that has a big impact on all of us.

• Liked: 957
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2018, 12:31:07 PM »
Yep!  I think so.  He's never been hospitalised and while uncomfortable, it's not deathly serious.  I'm not sure he's ever tried to get tested.  He researches everything to death so he must have come to the conclusion not to even try for a reason. 

I do wish we knew.  I know that he's the primary uncomfortable party, but he underestimates the position it puts others when he won't admit that there's a problem, delays taking antihistamines, and then feels terrible and is bitchy.  He dreads holidays or going anywhere (including parent's houses) and that has a big impact on all of us.
I can say that some things have made my overall reactions better cuz histamine is a bucket and cumulative. So fresh food, no leftovers that weren't immediately frozen and eaten within the week, and avoiding foods that clearly cause reactions. I wear a mask when flying and on public transit, and have Airlines make announcements not to spray perfumes/scents because I had a really scary midair incident twice now when they didn't. I only stay in hotels where the windows open as well and bring my own sheets. I also take fexofenadine every day or I feel awful. I'm glad I met my husband when sick because he's pretty understanding of it, but I fully recognise how challenging it is for others. :( Feel free to pm if you ever need a vent or for any possible advice I can offer. Have lived with this for about 15 years now!

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2018, 04:24:17 PM »

• Liked: 676
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2018, 07:30:08 PM »
Sigh.
Same song, different verse.  :-\\\\

• Liked: 957
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2018, 08:02:46 PM »
Hey Margo, I thought you might find this article interesting
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2018/jan/13/people-accept-that-im-gay-but-not-that-im-disabled?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

That is heartbreaking and so real. On this board we all live with the consequences of the "hostile environment" for immigration, but there's an equally sinister environment for the disabled in this country. Thousands of people have had to deal with the stress of benefits reviews because their friends and neighbours reported them as cheats for doing things like spending all their energy for weeks for one day out of the house with visiting family, or occasionally being able to walk more than they "should be able to" and still claim benefits. None of those community reports resulted in benefits being removed, but can you imagine the stress/psychological harm of defending your existence with the threat of losing the only thing keeping you afloat? (I can't remember where I read that or I'd link it here.) May and her cabinet have done a stellar job of demonising disabled folks as a strain on the economy and productivity.

• Liked: 66
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2018, 08:30:27 AM »
I'm a little late to this, but we got a Dyson Purifier as my husband has really bad cat allergies and hay fever (and we're staying with his mom who has a cat at the moment) and it has been miraculous for him. We had tried other ones that did nothing for him, but this one has been great. We got the "Hot" version so it could be a heater in the winter and are about to buy the "Cool" version for the summer since we've had such success with this one.
Spouse Visa (Priority)

App Submitted Online: 18 Oct 2017
Biometrics + Docs Sent: 23 Oct 2017
Received in Sheffield email: 25 Oct 2017
Decision email: 20 Nov 2017 (18 BD)
Passport received: 22 Nov 2017 (APPROVED)
Travel to UK: 28 Dec 2017

FLR(m):
App Submitted Online: 08 July 2020
Biometrics submitted via IDV app: 7 Sept 2020
Approval: 19 Nov 2020

ILR (Priority):
App submitted: 19 Jan 2023
Biometrics: 8 Feb 2023
Approval: 8 Feb 2023

Citizenship:
App submitted: 28 July 2023
Biometrics: 17 Aug 2023
Approval: 27 Nov 2023
Ceremony: 27 Nov 2023

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2018, 08:35:28 AM »
I'm a little late to this, but we got a Dyson Purifier as my husband has really bad cat allergies and hay fever (and we're staying with his mom who has a cat at the moment) and it has been miraculous for him. We had tried other ones that did nothing for him, but this one has been great. We got the "Hot" version so it could be a heater in the winter and are about to buy the "Cool" version for the summer since we've had such success with this one.

The hot one doesn't blow cool too?

• Liked: 676
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2018, 01:18:11 PM »
We ended up going with the Silentnight 38060 HEPA Air Purifier from Amazon  and it works quite well. The night-time mode is so quiet I cannot hear it, although the Daughter can.  I seem to be over my allergies, so it's in her room.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 01:42:34 PM by Nan D. »

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab