Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Income issues when ILR is far off  (Read 497 times)

• Liked: 56
Income issues when ILR is far off
« on: May 21, 2018, 09:54:18 PM »
Hi everyone.
If anyone has seen my recent posts regarding jobs and income, I have another question.
To summarize - I left my archaeology career that is unstable and took a job that seemed to have longterm potential so that my husband could leave his job - which had been so bad for a year that by the end he was off sick for two months. He has a new job but it is only part time and falls short of the income requirement. He is looking for another part time job, but is having no luck. Unfortunately, my job has become a nightmare as well and because it requires a rotating schedule over 24hrs, it is now making me physically ill. I am currently off sick and have been forced to give notice (as what is the point of ILR if I don't survive till then). Its three month notice, so gives me time to find something else. But I am having a hard time of it as well. My husband has started talking about applying for Universal Credit for himself to pick up the slack. This has made me face a topic I have been putting off out of fear.
I know normally on applications, they want to see that you have made the income requirement for the previous 12 months. I will be applying for ILR in January 2020. I am aiming to ignore any career goals I have and just get any job that I know I can tolerate for the next two years. However, I am concerned about being below the income requirement for a time before that 12 months if I can't find anything before I leave this company. I would hope that I would have something in place by Nov/Dec, but I cannot help but be concerned. Does anyone know how a small gap prior to that 12 months may affect my future ILR? Also, how might a short stint for my husband with Universal Credit affect it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Engaged: June 2014
Married: July 30 2014
Visa Application Received in UK: Nov. 27 2014
Visa granted: Dec 12 2014
Moves to UK: Jan 30th 2015

• Liked: 3595
Re: Income issues when ILR is far off
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2018, 10:28:41 PM »
I know normally on applications, they want to see that you have made the income requirement for the previous 12 months. I will be applying for ILR in January 2020. I am aiming to ignore any career goals I have and just get any job that I know I can tolerate for the next two years. However, I am concerned about being below the income requirement for a time before that 12 months if I can't find anything before I leave this company. I would hope that I would have something in place by Nov/Dec, but I cannot help but be concerned. Does anyone know how a small gap prior to that 12 months may affect my future ILR? Also, how might a short stint for my husband with Universal Credit affect it?

Only some of the financial requirement categories require income over the last 12 months... others only require the last 6 months of income.

So, if you will be using employment income to meet the requirements, the only time period that will matter is either:
- the 6 months prior to Jan 2020
or
- the 12 months prior to Jan 2020

Anything earned before either the last 6 or 12 months will not be considered at all.

So, as a reminder of the financial categories:

Cat A:
- you have been with your current employer(s) for at least 6 months and have been earning a combined income of at least £18,600 for the entire 6 months
SO
- you only provide the last 6 months of financial evidence

Cat B:
- you haven't been with your current employer(s) for 6 months yet and/or haven't been earning £18,600 for 6 months yet and/or your monthly income is variable
AND
- you have earned a combined income of £18,600 or more in the last 12 months
SO
- you provide the last 12 months of financial evidence

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2018, 06:57:26 AM »
Thanks so much for your help as always, Ksand24.
Unfortunately, I have had no luck finding a job that wont force me onto anti-depressants. I am about to start looking at anything, but I am waiting to hear on one last application. But I do not know if it will be good enough for the home office. It is a part time role making 3x our income shortfall, but it is on an 18 month contract that would probably start in january. This would give me a guaranteed income until about 6 months after my ILR application. I know no one can say for sure but does anyone have any experience using fixed term contracts? Technically, my husband's old job was on one, but it was 3 years and his boss always just said it was "permanent subject to funding".

It really sucks that this is all over £3200 a year. My current job makes about 19k a year, but its on a temp contract and i never know if i have a job for the next month until the end of the current. I could even make that amount on my casual job on the weekends probably, but its not guaranteed. My husband has also been busting his butt putting together a side business cause he is having no luck finding another part time job either. I swear, by the time we apply, we will be making 30k, just not on income that is guaranteed to continue. Its so sh*t, my husband has even developed gastritis. Although I am surprised it wasnt me.
Any advice will be much appreciated....I hear this week whether I have an interview for the fixed term contract. But I dont want to bother if it will definately not work as I would not want to tie myself into that contract when I should be looking for something different.

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2019, 08:35:18 AM »
We finally caught a break. After months of us both applying for jobs (husband got interviews but no job and I didnt get a single interview, which makes me believe that there is a massive bias against immigrants in the hiring system), we finally had a bit of luck. My husband's main client in his self-employment just offered to help. He and my husband's part time job agreed to do a joint-contract thing. So the client will be paying the 4k he has set for my husband this year  to my husband's job to be put towards his total salary and the contracts will be changed to reflect a 4 day week instead of a 3, with the extra day to be spent with the client. So the total will all be coming from the same paycheck and taxed and contracted, and his new salary will be 19500, which puts us above the requirement agsin. The first paycheck to reflect this will be Feb, and we do not have to apply till next Jan.
Thank goodness because this was getting ridiculous! Even my back up plan had gone to hell...I was going to ask my casual receptionist job for an actual contract, but they are loosing council funding and are making redundancies now. The archaeology job I had in the autumn laid me off, and I havent been able to find another because it is winter. Still have my casual job and am still applying, but I have honestly never experienced this with jobs before. I feel like it is i possible to get a job here unless you know someone....even then, my husband has not gotten anything from his interviews even though he is the best for all the jobs. His side business is twking off because he is so talented. So we are so grateful his client and job were willing to do thiis for us. :)

• Liked: 134
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2019, 10:30:46 AM »
So glad to hear that things are looking up for you!  Try to get some relaxation in there, even if it's just an hour of doing something you enjoy.
Met Mr. Beatlemania: 20 Jan 2010
Tier 4 Visa Approved: 17 Sep 2012
Spousal Visa Received:  22 Sep 2014
Ohio to Essex: 26 October 2014
FLR(M): 10 May 2017
ILR: 23 October 2019
Citizenship: 6 September 2022

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab