Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: No air conditioning... need cool activities for a toddler and grandparents.  (Read 1557 times)

• Liked: 0
We moved to London a month ago, and it didn't occur to us that our apartment (newish building) might not have air conditioning until we signed the lease. It hasn't been much of a problem, but the coming week of hot weather coupled with our toddler and a set of grandparents (mid-70s, active but not super mobile) coming to visit has me searching for ways for us to get out of the house and cool off. We're already planning on hitting up a couple museums, and I know a walk through St. James's Park is in our future, but any suggestions, especially for day-trips out of the city, would be greatly appreciated.

• Liked: 4985
It is exceedingly rare to find anywhere air conditioned in the UK (exception being newer office buildings).

Last year when we had a week in the 90’s and I had a newborn that wanted to sleep on me all day, I hung out at a soft play place.  Seriously, it was the only place with air conditioning I could find.  Even malls aren’t air conditioned!

• Liked: 1327
It is exceedingly rare to find anywhere air conditioned in the UK (exception being newer office buildings).

Last year when we had a week in the 90’s and I had a newborn that wanted to sleep on me all day, I hung out at a soft play place.  Seriously, it was the only place with air conditioning I could find.  Even malls aren’t air conditioned!

My husband and I don't get out much, so I'm genuinely asking: what about the cinema? Are they air conditioned?  In Arkansas, that's how my family used to endure hot days.  I would even bring a sweater because it was always too cold.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 4985
My husband and I don't get out much, so I'm genuinely asking: what about the cinema? Are they air conditioned?  In Arkansas, that's how my family used to endure hot days.  I would even bring a sweater because it was always too cold.

My husband thinks they are.

Another option is finding your local pool!

• Liked: 958
We bought a portable AC unit that exhausts out the window w/ a flexible vent. It's been very helpful because our upstairs is roasting when the downstairs is a normal temp. Definitely worth it if you can afford one imo.

• Liked: 1893
Be aware that every pool will be jam packed, especially after the kids are out of school.

Look at the weather forecast and pick a day with a bit of breeze and go to the seaside.  Brighton if you don't want to drive, Dungeness if you do drive.

You can ride the steam train in dungeness and climb the lighthouse.

• Liked: 680
We bought a portable AC unit that exhausts out the window w/ a flexible vent. It's been very helpful because our upstairs is roasting when the downstairs is a normal temp. Definitely worth it if you can afford one imo.

We had one of those in California and it was a godsend!

• Liked: 537
Movie theatres near me are air conditioned! So I would assume many are.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

Hmmm. We went to London in May one year, and it wasn't terribly hot out, but I remember the Victoria and Albert and the Natural History Museums as requiring a sweater. (Could just have been that I was catching a cold, which I did.) But all that lovely marble tends to be cool, and they keep the light levels less bright than outside.

• Liked: 1893
Hmmm. We went to London in May one year, and it wasn't terribly hot out, but I remember the Victoria and Albert and the Natural History Museums as requiring a sweater. (Could just have been that I was catching a cold, which I did.) But all that lovely marble tends to be cool, and they keep the light levels less bright than outside.

And toddlers absolutely love those museums.  All the steps and big rooms and anything they can touch you don't have to worry about them breaking it. 

They do usually have areas directed to/for children :) .  The last time I was at the Natural History Museum in Los Angeles the place was set up almost exclusively FOR young children.

I remember going to museums when I was very young, before they had all the "targeted at kids/interaction" areas and loved it. (It was nice and cool inside. As opposed to hot and bright outside.) Then again, my parents were extremely strict - even as a toddler I knew what I was and was not allowed to do - and if I was too young for it, they'd have not taken me to a place where I could not function appropriately. (None of the little-kids-running-amok in the restaurant, etc., stuff. In those cases it was sit down and shut up or catch hell later. So we all were very good in public places.  8)  )

Another idea might be if there's a good shady park nearby, having an all-day picnic?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 01:53:23 PM by Nan D. »

• Liked: 3
We moved to London a month ago, and it didn't occur to us that our apartment (newish building) might not have air conditioning until we signed the lease. It hasn't been much of a problem, but the coming week of hot weather coupled with our toddler and a set of grandparents (mid-70s, active but not super mobile) coming to visit has me searching for ways for us to get out of the house and cool off. We're already planning on hitting up a couple museums, and I know a walk through St. James's Park is in our future, but any suggestions, especially for day-trips out of the city, would be greatly appreciated.

Hi

I'm sure going to a few places for entertainment is part of the plan. A lot of people from the states are going to be accustomed to having AC especially those from the southern region of America. Have you considered buying a stand alone air conditioner that stands upright in a room? They often are on wheels. That might solve the problem. They normally cost about $300. And they can cool off a two bedroom home.

• Liked: 116

Look at the weather forecast and pick a day with a bit of breeze and go to the seaside.  Brighton if you don't want to drive, Dungeness if you do drive.

This is what we do, we live in Kent, so we go to Broadstairs or Whitstable on hot days.
Spouse Visa:
Received by Sheffield 19 Nov 2016
Decision Made 26 Jan 2017
Visa Received 30 Jan 2017
Arrived in UK 15 Feb 2017
FLR (M) Biometrics 16 Sep 2019
FLR (M) Approved 17 Sep 2019 (Super Priority)

• Liked: 57
We've recently moved to London, too. Thankfully, this time of year, our living room is always freezing cold so we congregate there to stay cool at home. Mostly we try to get out if it's a weekend. The fountains at Granary Square (Kings Cross) are a hit with our daughter, and on the weekends there's a market nearby with food, beer, wine, etc. We've done a few day train trips to the seaside (Camber Sands and Shoeburyness). PM me if you'd want to talk/share about other ideas. I'm a bit hesitant to put out too many details about our location because my handle is what I use on other sites.
Met 2003
Married 2008
Spousal visa 2008-2010
USA 2010-2017
Moved to the UK July 2017
FLR(M) approved June 2020

Sponsored Links