Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Annoying trying to get my NIN #! Has it been the same for others?  (Read 2616 times)

• Liked: 49
Had a very annoying time trying to book an appointment to be seen in order to apply for my National Insurance Number! The lady reminded me of the "computer says noooo" character in " Little Britain" if anyone gets the reference! I had to ask if there was an office in Edinburgh. She said nothing was showing as an opening at this location. I said " meaning it is showing as booked, if so until when?" she said I just needed to keep calling back to see if there was an opening! She wanted to send me to Glasgow but I am not taking a trip that long without a car, when there is an office nearby. Has anyone had the same annoying experience? Is this common? Arrghhh!!!!

• Liked: 4985
Re: Annoying trying to get my NIN #! Has it been the same for others?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2018, 05:55:21 PM »
Had a very annoying time trying to book an appointment to be seen in order to apply for my National Insurance Number! The lady reminded me of the "computer says noooo" character in " Little Britain" if anyone gets the reference! I had to ask if there was an office in Edinburgh. She said nothing was showing as an opening at this location. I said " meaning it is showing as booked, if so until when?" she said I just needed to keep calling back to see if there was an opening! She wanted to send me to Glasgow but I am not taking a trip that long without a car, when there is an office nearby. Has anyone had the same annoying experience? Is this common? Arrghhh!!!!

Welcome to the UK!

You’ll get to the point to where you are used to the beaurocracy at every step of the way.   :-\\\\

• Liked: 718
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2018, 05:59:17 PM »
Not sure how far away you are from Glasgow but my son had to travel 53 miles to the centre of Newcastle to attend his interview. I was in the room while he was having the phone conversation and couldn't help but chime in with, "Newcastle!! But we live 2 counties away in North Yorkshire, surely there has got to be a closer JobsCentre+ for him to travel to?"

So, my wife came as well and we had a day out in Newcastle but what a clart on.  I went with my son to his interview as he was staying with us while he found and bought a house (we also had to provide a signed letter that he was staying with us and provide a utility bill showing we lived there). Me being there definitely helped as I was able to act as a translator to the Geordie dialect as well as answer a couple of questions about never having applied for child benefit etc.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 768
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2018, 08:32:06 PM »
I had to go to the Leith location.  I'm in Stirling.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• Liked: 537
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2018, 08:43:34 PM »
I live In Swadlincote and I had to go to Nottingham for mine. That's also where we had to go to give notice of Marriage.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 676
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2018, 09:26:32 PM »
I had to go to the south side of Glasgow. The Daughter was asked to mail a copy of her passport in and they just handled it through the mail!

• Liked: 113
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2018, 12:33:56 AM »
I just went for my interview at the Job Center Plus in Leith yesterday. Called last week and that was the earliest interview appointment they could give me. The interview itself only took 5 mins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
#1 NON-PRIORITY UNMARRIED PARTNER
Living together since Nov 2014, son born on Mar 2016
Decision: Refusal (70 BD)
#2 PRIORITY SPOUSE
Online Application: 18 Mar 2018
Decision Made Email: 03 May 2018
Received Passport: 07 May 2018 (APPROVED)
Entered UK: 10 May 2018
#3 NON-PRIORITY FLR(M)
Online Application: 6 Jan 2021
UKVCAS Biometric Appointment: 2 Feb 2021
Decision Made Email: 22 Mar 2021 (APPROVED)

• Liked: 585
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2018, 07:05:58 AM »
I had to go to the south side of Glasgow.

There be dragons...

• Liked: 6110

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2018, 09:20:46 AM »
I had trouble getting the woman on the phone to even let me apply.  I didn't have a job or interview coming, so they felt I didn't need a NI number*.  I had to phone back various times, trying to figure out a way to get them to let me in the door.  Finally, I said I had a prospective job offer, and I needed it.  So they let me apply, but I was then told I had to attend an appointment at one of the special JobCentre Plusses... I lived just north of Salisbury, and she sent me down to Southampton.  I had to take a train to get there because I didn't have a car (still don't...  :( ).  By the time I finally was allowed to apply, my FLR(M)#2 was due, and I'd sent my passport and BRP off to Home Office.  But I had post and my provisional driving license, so I thought I was fine for ID.  All that way, and they turned me away without an application submitted....

Fast forward about six weeks, I get them to let me try again.  My passport and new BRP are back in my possession, and this time I asked to go to a nearer office, and a friend took me up to Swindon.  I don't remember what the issue was when I was there, but I remember them having to check with a supervisor over whether they would let me apply (!!), and I was on the verge of tears at this point.  Finally, they relented, and it was only about a week later that my NINO showed up in the post.

* I did need an NI number for my Blue Badge application.  They won't let you get one of those without the NI number.  Telling DWP that did nothing.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 09:22:10 AM by jfkimberly »
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 718
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2018, 03:43:24 PM »
I had trouble getting the woman on the phone to even let me apply.  I didn't have a job or interview coming, so they felt I didn't need a NI number*.  I had to phone back various times, trying to figure out a way to get them to let me in the door.  Finally, I said I had a prospective job offer, and I needed it.  So they let me apply, but I was then told I had to attend an appointment at one of the special JobCentre Plusses... I lived just north of Salisbury, and she sent me down to Southampton.  I had to take a train to get there because I didn't have a car (still don't...  :( ).  By the time I finally was allowed to apply, my FLR(M)#2 was due, and I'd sent my passport and BRP off to Home Office.  But I had post and my provisional driving license, so I thought I was fine for ID.  All that way, and they turned me away without an application submitted....

Fast forward about six weeks, I get them to let me try again.  My passport and new BRP are back in my possession, and this time I asked to go to a nearer office, and a friend took me up to Swindon.  I don't remember what the issue was when I was there, but I remember them having to check with a supervisor over whether they would let me apply (!!), and I was on the verge of tears at this point.  Finally, they relented, and it was only about a week later that my NINO showed up in the post.

* I did need an NI number for my Blue Badge application.  They won't let you get one of those without the NI number.  Telling DWP that did nothing.

WOW!! What an incredibly awful experience.  Thanks for sharing this story.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2018, 04:15:12 PM »
WOW!! What an incredibly awful experience.  Thanks for sharing this story.

At one point, I literally said on the phone, "What magic words do I need to say to be able to make an application...?"  I knew I was dealing with British Bureaucracy, and I knew one of the people I spoke with wanted to help me but wasn't allowed, so I practically begged for a hint.  She couldn't give me the hint, of course (all calls are monitored).  Now that my husband works for civil service, and I know how his hands are tied when dealing with the public, I have new appreciation for that woman's resolve.  I think I feel as bad for her now as I did for myself then.  ... Or maybe not.  :P
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2018, 09:36:31 PM »
Am I one of the few that actually had an easy experience?

I called the number,spoke with a really nice guy who was as helpful as he could be while I asked my husband which cities would be best(Nottingham) got me booked in.

Hubby took the half day off to take me. Guy on the phone told me everything I needed to bring to the appointment as he knew I had a ways to travel. I got a letter in the post confirming my appointment and telling me what to bring.

Went in, was early, bit of a wait though. Did my appointment, lots of EU migrants were there. And then we left and hubby went to work.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 768
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2018, 09:41:05 PM »
I didn't have a difficult time either. It was all a pretty simple process even if I felt an interview was unnecessary. I could have filled out the application myself.
Am I one of the few that actually had an easy experience?

I called the number,spoke with a really nice guy who was as helpful as he could be while I asked my husband which cities would be best(Nottingham) got me booked in.

Hubby took the half day off to take me. Guy on the phone told me everything I needed to bring to the appointment as he knew I had a ways to travel. I got a letter in the post confirming my appointment and telling me what to bring.

Went in, was early, bit of a wait though. Did my appointment, lots of EU migrants were there. And then we left and hubby went to work.

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2018, 09:45:37 PM »
I didn't have a difficult time either. It was all a pretty simple process even if I felt an interview was unnecessary. I could have filled out the application myself.

I felt the same way. It was way easier than the visa Application! Haha

Just a huge waste of time.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab