Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Thinking of moving back to the USA with UK Spouse  (Read 3152 times)

• Liked: 0
Thinking of moving back to the USA with UK Spouse
« on: June 17, 2018, 04:34:01 PM »
Hi Everyone

Me and My husband are thinking about moving back to USA and going through the USA spousal visa.I'm USC and my husband is a UKC. I've been living in the UK for the past 1 year and 6 months on and FLR (M) and we are thinking it's time to move to the USA and settle down there.  I know nothing about the process, Could anyone help me with the requirements and whats the best way going about it.

Best Regards

Holly

• Liked: 0
Re: Thinking of moving back to the USA with UK Spouse
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2018, 09:54:03 PM »
My husband and I are considering the same thing. Any advice anyone has would be much appreciated!

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2018, 10:35:33 AM »
I've not gone through the US visa process so not much help there but just wanted to ask if this move is something you definitely want to do permanently or is there any chance that you may end up back in the Uk? Only reason I'm asking is because if you aren't unhappy here and think you may want to return later in life, you might want to try to wait until you've hit 5 years (if that's when you qualify) and get your UKC first. This would at least give you the option to move back and worth with less hassle as we've all seen how difficult it can be once you've been living together/married for years and have to split up in order to qualify for a spousal visa. Obviously not something you have to answer here, just something to maybe think about in terms of long term plans (not meant to discourage you in any way).

best of luck :) 
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 111
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2018, 11:58:37 PM »
Hi holaandlou!

Along with Ms. x0Kiss0fDeath. I also wonder if it is at all possible to stay long enough in the UK to get your UK Citizenship before you leave the UK.

I lived in England for over eight years with ILR but no UK citizenship and I left the country abruptly with the intention of returning within two years. I've now been in the US for over 14 years but my UK husband is desperate to return to England. It's far more complicated and expensive than it was in 1995 and if I could do my life over again, I would have moved heaven and earth to get my UK citizenship.

Back in 2004, I returned to Texas with my children and my husband. I went to the US Citizenship and Immigration Center Field Office and told them that I wanted to make an application for my UK spouse to settle with me in the US. I filed an application for a spousal visa and it's accompanying "affidavit of support" within the US. We filled out the forms, paid our fees and within five months, we received a letter for his fingerprints, FBI checks and a meeting with an officer at the field office. My husband received his "green card" within six months.

My cousin, in that same Texas town,  married her Welsh fiance two months ago and has attempted to apply for his "green card" from the US whilst living in the US. It's apparently been very difficult for them because the field office has a very large back log and they are looking at a minimum of six months before they even look at their application. I've heard from other people in my hometown that their applications are taking nine months to a year to be processed from the US. They have been informed that it makes more sense to apply from the US embassy in the UK. Only you, holandlou and MES, can decide whether it is more advantageous to apply from the UK or the US.

Here is a link from the US Embassy in London regarding the process:
https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/family-immigration/

Good luck!

• Liked: 65
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2018, 07:12:19 AM »
I have to agree with the others that any USC considering moving back to the US from the UK should seriously consider getting UKC beforehand. I too am one who lived in the UK for nearly 8 years with my husband and didn’t get my UKC before leaving. Absolutely kicking myself for that now. It’s not fun being separated from my husband and kids and starting from scratch waiting for a visa that I already had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Spouse Visa issued 31 December 2018
Moved to UK 19 January 2019
FLR app submitted 1 October 2021
Biometrics 9 October 2021
FLR approval 31 October 2021
ILR approval 10 March 2024

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab