Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Have ILR - Marrying UK citizen and staying in UK - do I need to do anything?  (Read 286 times)

• Liked: 0
Hi UK Yankee, the wonderful place that helped me with all of my visa needs.

So I am American, and I have ILR.

I'm marrying my partner who is British.

We are staying in the UK, however we might want to move to the US at some point - but it would not be likely for several years.

My question is - do I need to do, well...anything in regards to the US? Does the US need to know I am getting married?

Will it become difficult if we do intend to move to the US?

Does getting married in both countries do anything?

I intend on applying for my UK citizenship, but not for a couple years until I can save the money for it.

• Liked: 3589
My question is - do I need to do, well...anything in regards to the US? Does the US need to know I am getting married?

No, you don't need to do anything and I don't believe the US needs to know about your marriage.

However, I would definitely apply for UK citizenship before you move back to the US.

Your ILR only remains valid while you are living permanently in the UK. If you leave the UK for more than 2 years (i.e. move back to the US), you will lose your ILR and will have to start over from scratch again if you ever wish to move back to the UK. But if you have UK citizenship, you can come and go from the UK as much as you like for the rest of your life.

Will it become difficult if we do intend to move to the US?

No, it won't. In fact, it'll probably make things easier, because you will be able to sponsor a spousal visa for the US.

Does getting married in both countries do anything?

Not sure what you mean by this. You can only legally marry in one country, and then your marriage certificate will be considered legal in both countries.

Thank you so much for your reply.

Yes, this is what I had gathered - I just wanted to make sure. We went to the registrar office today to give our 28 days notice of intent, and the guy at the office mentioned something about maybe needing to check with the US Embassy (?), which sent my brain into a panic.

Will certainly be obtaining my citizenship before I ever move out of this country. It's always a good reminder though.

Thank you!

• Liked: 3589
Yes, this is what I had gathered - I just wanted to make sure. We went to the registrar office today to give our 28 days notice of intent, and the guy at the office mentioned something about maybe needing to check with the US Embassy (?), which sent my brain into a panic.

No idea why he would say that.

In order to give notice, you need to show your passport, immigration status and proof of UK address.

If you are a foreign national, your case may be referred to UKVI to make sure the relationship is genuine, which can extend the waiting period to 70 days. Though, as you have ILR, I'm not sure they will need to do this.

See:
https://www.gov.uk/marriages-civil-partnerships/foreign-national

Brought my passport and proof of residence today.

We booked the ceremony date after 70 days just in case.

Not sure why he said that either, but I gather he is only familiar with the UK side of things.

Thank you for your help

Sponsored Links