Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Hopeful Expat!  (Read 789 times)

• Liked: 29
Hopeful Expat!
« on: June 21, 2018, 11:36:51 PM »
Hi everyone, my name is Amber. My husband was born in the UK (his dad and his dad's whole family are from there). He lived there until he was 5 years old and then moved to the states and has been here primarily ever since. He does NOT have a british passport, but does have a british birth certificate. I am American and only have a US passport. We have four children who all have american passports, but are eligible (I think!) to be registered as Brits born abroad and receive a british birth certificate.

We currently live in Houston. It's so so so so hottttt and not very pretty (not at all). We have lived her for 12 years and frankly with everything happening in America, the current political system and health system I am pretty fed up and want a change. I am exploring the possible options we might have to be able to move to the UK. I am hopeful that because my husband was born in the UK and has a british birth certificate we might have an easier time than others??? I'm eager to hear from everyone and read the many experiences!

• Liked: 6110
Re: Hopeful Expat!
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2018, 05:47:34 AM »
Hi everyone, my name is Amber. My husband was born in the UK (his dad and his dad's whole family are from there). He lived there until he was 5 years old and then moved to the states and has been here primarily ever since. He does NOT have a british passport, but does have a british birth certificate. I am American and only have a US passport. We have four children who all have american passports, but are eligible (I think!) to be registered as Brits born abroad and receive a british birth certificate.

We currently live in Houston. It's so so so so hottttt and not very pretty (not at all). We have lived her for 12 years and frankly with everything happening in America, the current political system and health system I am pretty fed up and want a change. I am exploring the possible options we might have to be able to move to the UK. I am hopeful that because my husband was born in the UK and has a british birth certificate we might have an easier time than others??? I'm eager to hear from everyone and read the many experiences!

Welcome to the forum Amber!  :) I see you have the answers in your other thread!  :)

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2018, 09:01:24 AM »
Welcome!

Funnily enough two of my expat friends are from Houston and both moving back in July.  They can't wait!  LOL.  Grass is always greener, isn't it? 

I'm just said my pals are leaving me!

• Liked: 957
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2018, 11:16:15 AM »
My dad lived in texas for a while and couldn't handle the heat either. I love UK weather so far, but this year has been sunnier and drier than most.

Good luck with the passports and planning your next steps! You can look at moving to EU countries as well before Brexit, but it's still a bit unclear what other countries will offer for UK citizens abroad at the time of brexit. I haven't followed that too closely as it doesn't impact us. (like most, I joined my English husband here in the UK)

• Liked: 29
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2018, 01:21:35 PM »
Thanks KFDancer--I know haha grass is always greener I suppose.  :)

Margo--I definitely need to look into the Brexit situation a little more...

Sponsored Links