Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Living in the UK  (Read 9856 times)

• Liked: 533
Re: Living in the UK
« Reply #135 on: June 29, 2018, 08:51:39 AM »
Only if you pay someone else to cook it!  ;D

Are you supposed to cook it?!! 
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 681
« Reply #136 on: June 29, 2018, 08:52:41 AM »
hahahahahahahaha. You sound like my brother. He lived out of tinned food, and ate it cold most of the time. To save having to wash the dishes.

« Reply #137 on: June 29, 2018, 09:16:41 AM »
They have these Fray Bentos things in the store. Like a meat pie in a metal tin. I had to try one! The tin is like its own plate!

It was not bad at all, and no dishes! But good lord if you read the ingredients/nutrients....

I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

« Reply #138 on: June 29, 2018, 09:26:02 AM »
I also discovered tinned 'all day breakfast'. They usually have beans and sausages and mushrooms, and sometimes meatballs or bacon. One had black pudding balls.

Again, nutritionally they are a nightmare. And the cold, damp mushrooms are really weird when you hit one. But all-in-all not bad.

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #139 on: June 29, 2018, 09:56:57 AM »
I may upgrade to the 12GB data for £20/month to use Waze if I start to drive more.

Way off topic, but maybe it'll save you £5/month:
My husband uses Waze daily.  In a typical month of going back and forth to work (about 25 miles each way) and other incidental driving, his phone shows Waze used about 80MB.  He does download the maps/update the app while at home on wifi.

He just Googled Waze data usage out of curiosity and found where someone did a 6-hour drive and used just 10.4MB.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 113
« Reply #140 on: June 29, 2018, 10:01:18 AM »
My husband uses Waze daily.  In a typical month of going back and forth to work (about 25 miles each way) and other incidental driving, his phone shows Waze used about 80MB.  He does download the maps/update the app while at home on wifi.

He just Googled Waze data usage out of curiosity and found where someone did a 6-hour drive and used just 10.4MB.

Oh. That’s good to know. Thanks jfkimberly!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
#1 NON-PRIORITY UNMARRIED PARTNER
Living together since Nov 2014, son born on Mar 2016
Decision: Refusal (70 BD)
#2 PRIORITY SPOUSE
Online Application: 18 Mar 2018
Decision Made Email: 03 May 2018
Received Passport: 07 May 2018 (APPROVED)
Entered UK: 10 May 2018
#3 NON-PRIORITY FLR(M)
Online Application: 6 Jan 2021
UKVCAS Biometric Appointment: 2 Feb 2021
Decision Made Email: 22 Mar 2021 (APPROVED)

• Liked: 240
« Reply #141 on: June 29, 2018, 10:16:01 AM »
Hmm maybe i switch to O2 as 3 only gives 12 GB of data for £20!

It’s great so far. Only complaint I’ve had is they charge you for texts with pictures. But the husband and I use WhatsApp for texting so it’s not a big deal.  :)
UK Spouse Visa (Priority)
Approved: 1 May 2018

FLR(M) Standard
Approved: 16 June 2021

ILR (SET M) Super Priority
Approved: 29 August 2023

• Liked: 35
« Reply #142 on: June 29, 2018, 10:35:24 AM »
I've been PAYG on 3 since I moved, including using Google maps. I've spent £20 since December!

Yes! We do the same. On their standard 3/2/1 tariff (e.g. no add-on) I can't remember the last time I had to top up. It's 1p per MB but it seems my occasional reading of the news and checking email outside of the house doesn't amount to much. I send a few texts and make a few calls. I probably spend £1.50 a month on it or something like that.

I have the Vonage app installed so if I have wifi access I can make $0.014/min calls to the US if needed.

Regarding eating out - my father had a stroke a few years ago. I take him out for dinner once a week. If I didn't do that there would be some weeks where he would never leave the house.

• Liked: 537
« Reply #143 on: June 29, 2018, 10:53:35 AM »

Is it better than Google maps? I use it to make my commute as easy as possible,like warnings of traffic,etc.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 4990
« Reply #144 on: June 29, 2018, 11:10:32 AM »

Regarding eating out - my father had a stroke a few years ago. I take him out for dinner once a week. If I didn't do that there would be some weeks where he would never leave the house.

Love this!!  <3

« Reply #145 on: June 29, 2018, 11:20:14 AM »
Regarding eating out - my father had a stroke a few years ago. I take him out for dinner once a week.

I am not as anti-dining out as some.

I am working on a theory that actually home cooking is bad for the environment. Economies of scale and such.

Is having every household travel individually to the supermarket in a car, transport the stuff back, store it in a refrigerator, own a big gas or electric heavy-use item to cook it, and dedicate a largish room solely for food purposes sensible? No it is not.

My answer? Ready meals and British Restaurants*!

Because food can be prepared much more cost effectively large-scale. Delivery of the ready meals would reduce supermarket trips, and you would just need a toaster oven or microwave to prepare. That and a small refrigerator. The kitchen would thus become a small utility area! Easily cleaned, while reducing the footprint of homes!

Restaurants along the lines of the British Restaurant model mentioned above would allow for cheaply dining out more frequently! I think these ideas would also not only free up time for harried people, but also do a better job with nutrician than millions of people doing it individually, guided by advertising and ignorance.

If you are a cooking hobbyist you could do it the old way.

*https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Restaurant

• Liked: 163
« Reply #146 on: June 29, 2018, 11:20:34 AM »
Is it better than Google maps? I use it to make my commute as easy as possible,like warnings of traffic,etc.

I tried Waze last year. The main difference I found was Waze was much more likely to try to save me a minute or two by routing me through a maze of residential streets, and in doing so it twice tried to send me down a road that had been closed for construction. It was after the 2nd time I bailed on it and went back to Google maps.

• Liked: 29
« Reply #147 on: June 29, 2018, 11:40:57 AM »
Going to a different topic now...last night my mother in law was over and we were talking about whether they would move back to the uk at some point (she’s American, he’s british and they currently live in Tunisia). He seemed like he was interested, but she started talking about how terrible the nhs is, how it’s going bankrupt, how there’s a terrible shortage of doctors etc and would be sub par.....I know each system has its flaws, but I feel like here in America you might get quicker care if you’re paying for private health insurance, but if you’re depending on Medicaid or Medicare you’re going to be waiting for a while to be seen too. Not to mention you have crazy high costs of health coverage and then if something major occurs you can go bankrupt from medical debt. Is the NHS as bad as she claims? Do you get terrible treatment???

• Liked: 537
« Reply #148 on: June 29, 2018, 11:52:31 AM »
It really depends on your NHS trust for wait times.

I personally have had mostly good experiences and the fact that I don't have to pay even more out of pocket (other than £8.60 for prescriptions) to get care is amazing. Yes, there can be a wait for things, but I don't have to pay extra.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 681
« Reply #149 on: June 29, 2018, 12:16:27 PM »
I also discovered tinned 'all day breakfast'. They usually have beans and sausages and mushrooms, and sometimes meatballs or bacon. One had black pudding balls.

Again, nutritionally they are a nightmare. And the cold, damp mushrooms are really weird when you hit one. But all-in-all not bad.

ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab