Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Saltires everywhere  (Read 810 times)

• Liked: 676
Saltires everywhere
« on: June 24, 2018, 08:47:13 PM »
https://www.scotsman.com/news/pro-independence-group-reveals-plan-for-biggest-march-yet-in-edinburgh-1-4749589

I sooo want to go to this, just to see it go by, and instinct says "stay away from political marches, you idiot, you'll get deported. Or, at least get photographed and end up on a watch list -- and then get probably get deported later on."  I wonder which urge is going to win out?  ::)

There have been a lot of these here, lately. And here in Glasgow there are posters plastered up on streetlight poles and stuff. Is it spring/summer weather and having been cooped up too long this winter, or is it going to get serious? I guess we'll watch and see then. 8)

https://www.scotsman.com/news/around-40-000-take-part-in-pro-independence-march-in-glasgow-1-4735359   [That's roughly 8%-10% of the population. I didn't hear about it until afterwards - if they actually publicized these things in advance (like the Edinburgh march), I bet they'd get more participants.]
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 08:59:09 PM by Nan D. »

• Liked: 19
Re: Saltires everywhere
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2018, 03:02:46 PM »
Plenty of Facebook groups that publicise these marches well in advance.  I think there's one planned in Inverness in a few weeks' time, which I'll maybe go to.

Marches and all that are well enough, but what they need is real get-out-the-vote initiatives, ahead of all the regular elections, and particularly ahead of the next Referendum.

And there will be a next Referendum;  personally, I think they should hold off a wee while yet, until the full weight of the Brexit catastrophe has hit. 

It's apparent from last time that there's a chunk of people who simply won't take a risk and vote on the hope of something better, unless they take a look around and genuinely reckon things can't get worse.

A no-deal Brexit, and a few more years with the Tories (Red or Blue) in charge ought to take care of that.

• Liked: 676
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2018, 09:50:09 PM »
Yeah, I'm kind of thinking along those lines, too. It's going to be an interesting decade.

• Liked: 15
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2018, 12:21:45 PM »
The original police estimate for the march was 8-10,000 but was revised upwards when they realised they needed to justify the overtime

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab