Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Fiance or Spouse Visa - Our journey to marriage  (Read 8518 times)

• Liked: 49
Fiance or Spouse Visa - Our journey to marriage
« on: June 26, 2018, 11:11:03 AM »
To follow from my original thread :)

https://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=94057.0

Me (UK Citizen) living in N.Ireland and my fiance from Minnesota. She will be moving here, once we are married. We met whilst she was living here for 2 years under a religious visa, working for a charity.

But we have been looking at the fiance visa initially due to:

1. It allows her to be here for 6 months and plan parts of the wedding here and just have an extended time together.
2. It seems like the right process to follow? (although in the linked thread, it seems otherwise)

My fears around the "get married in the USA in a short ceremony" is from friends who did exactly the same thing and their spouse visa got declined. Now they were completely different in circumstances:

1. He is a musician, so his job title was not suffice to say he could support his wife and also has a massive tax gap in his records. So thats an obvious one.

2.They didn't have enough proof of their relationship - Is that to say, they didn't have photos of the marriage in the USA or what is the usual cause of this?

My questions are:

1. We have been looking at lawyers to help us with the paperwork and just make sure everything is correct. It seems alot of people here do it by themselves, but is there any advantage to a lawyer in what was or currently is your circumstances?

2. With my fiance who previously worked here, would that help our case at all? Since she was paying rent, been through the system etc.?

3. Re: relationship proof - that is my biggest fear currently, I have read here how to help with this part (2 photos, whatsapp/facebook messages, facetime calls etc.) Is there anything else we can do? I can get a letter from my Pastor as recommendation for either fiance or spouse visa?

Thanks so much guys. It's really helping alot with my overarching anxieties and fears ahead :)

« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 02:32:22 PM by adamb1026 »
Visa Type: Spouse Visa
Priority Service: Yes
Online app submitted: 8th Nov 2018
Biometrics & docs sent: 13th Nov 2018
Application delivered in NY: 14th Nov 2018
Application received email from Sheffield: 18th Nov 2018
Request for "documents": 13th Dec 2018
Decision made email: 18th Dec 2018
Passport received: 22nd Dec 2018 (APPROVED!)

• Liked: 3589
Fiance or Spouse Visa
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2018, 11:23:59 AM »
My fears around the "get married in the USA in a short ceremony" is from friends who did exactly the same thing and their spouse visa got declined. Now they were completely different in circumstances:

1. He is a musician, so his job title was not suffice to say he could support his wife and also has a massive tax gap in his records. So thats an obvious one.

2.They didn't have enough proof of their relationship - Is that to say, they didn't have photos of the marriage in the USA or what is the usual cause of this?

As I said in your other thread, their refusal had NOTHING to do with them getting married in the US, and everything to do with the fact that they didn’t qualify for a fiancé OR a spousal visa in the first place... due to his financial situation.

Marrying in the US is not a loophole or something shady - it’s a perfectly normal thing to do... the majority of people here on the forum have married in the US and applied for a spousal visa with no issues at all (we’re talking hundreds of people).

The evidence of relationship you need to show is:
- marriage certificate
- 1-2 photos of you together to show you have met
- boarding passes (or train/bus tickets) from trips to see each other
- letters/cards sent to each other
- evidence of regular communication through emails/calls/messages etc.

If they didn’t send all of those things (as applicable), it would have been an automatic refusal anyway, but ultimately it sound like it was his finances that were the main reason for refusal.

My questions are:

1. We have been looking at lawyers to help us with the paperwork and just make sure everything is correct. It seems alot of people here do it by themselves, but is there any advantage to a lawyer in what was or currently is your circumstances?

We NEVER recommend using a lawyer unless you have extremely complicated circumstances, such as the applicant has serious criminal convictions, or has a bad U.K. immigration history, such as refused visas, illegal working or overstaying in the UK.

I’ve lost count of the number of people who have found this forum after being given very bad advice by a lawyer, in some cases, advice that got their visa refused. They have regretted ever contacting the lawyer in the first place, and instead have used advice from the forum to get their visa.

2. With my fiance who previously worked here, would that help our case at all? Since she was paying rent, been through the system etc.?

Not really, because the responsibility is now on you to prove you meet the financial and accommodation requirements to support her.

If you lived together at all during that time, it will help with the relationship proof, but that’s all.

It will show that she has good immigration history with the U.K. though.

3. Re: relationship proof - that is my biggest fear currently, I have read here how to help with this part (2 photos, whatsapp/facebook messages, facetime calls etc.) Is there anything else we can do? I can get a letter from my Pastor as recommendation for either fiance or spouse visa?

Nope, they cannot consider letters from anyone except you, as the sponsor (and that’s a mandatory letter).

What you have read about so far is what you need to send.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 11:26:06 AM by ksand24 »

Re: Fiance or Spouse Visa
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2018, 12:12:44 PM »

Marrying in the US is not a loophole or something shady - it’s a perfectly normal thing to do... the majority of people here on the forum have married in the US and applied for a spousal visa with no issues at all (we’re talking hundreds of people).

I think thats the thing that has been putting me off the idea as it felt 'shady' so its good to know its perfectly normal :)

We NEVER recommend using a lawyer unless you have extremely complicated circumstances, such as the applicant has serious criminal convictions, or has a bad U.K. immigration history, such as refused visas, illegal working or overstaying in the UK.

I’ve lost count of the number of people who have found this forum after being given very bad advice by a lawyer, in some cases, advice that got their visa refused. They have regretted ever contacting the lawyer in the first place, and instead have used advice from the forum to get their visa.

Great to know :) And infact the couple I mentioned used a lawyer and they had nothing but issues. Apparently he fed them false information.

Not really, because the responsibility is now on you to prove you meet the financial and accommodation requirements to support her.

If you lived together at all during that time, it will help with the relationship proof, but that’s all.

It will show that she has good immigration history with the U.K. though.

Okay, which I do:
1. Make over the £18,600 threshold per year
2. In fulltime employment since 2013
3. Rent privately (currently with a roommate)
4. Full UK Citizen.

Just question in regards to if we decide to get married in the states, then apply for the spouse visa:

I assume the characteristics of the abode which we will live will be the same? Thinking of just my currently living situation I could either:

1. Ask the landlord to allow my then "wife" to live with me and my roommate. There are 3 bedrooms in the property.
2. Move out, get my own place. But would there be any issue if I just moved into a place on my own? The fact the lease would have just been started?

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2018, 12:16:55 PM »

1. Ask the landlord to allow my then "wife" to live with me and my roommate. There are 3 bedrooms in the property.
2. Move out, get my own place. But would there be any issue if I just moved into a place on my own? The fact the lease would have just been started?

Either would be fine.

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2018, 02:27:56 PM »
Either would be fine.

Thank you! :)

Okay so we just left with a meeting with a potential lawyer and it was ridiculous. Firstly, he had a very smug way of disregarding our questions and queries and accused us of not have the right price for the Marriage Visitor Visa of £93 wrong, even though we showed him the UK GOV website that states the price!

At the end was the best. When I called I was offered a free consultation by the lady who was described as their 'immigration laywer'. Who just ended up in the meeting being half asleep.
However, the lawyer who handled the meeting said  "I will charge you £150 for this consultation" My head nearly exploded  :-X
We didn't pay, don't worry :)

So we are still deciding, but looks like we will going down the road of getting married in the states, and then getting the spouse visa for here. So all your convincing worked within hours! :D

Can I ask though, we are really confused about the Marriage Visitor Visa. That has seemingly replaced the Fiance Visa? Or where they always the same, as the marriage visitor visa says you have to leave at the end?

Fiance or Spouse Visa - Our journey to marriage
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2018, 02:38:26 PM »
The marriage visitor visa is nothing more than a 6-month visitor visa that just allows you to marry during your visit. You cannot switch to a spousal/FLR(M) visa from it from inside the U.K. and you must leave the U.K. before the 6 months are up. You would also need to show no intention of living in the U.K. and evidence of a home, a job and a life to return to in the US.

The fiancé visa is a settlement visa (a visa that eventually leads to permanent residence in the U.K.) and allows you to live in the U.K. on a permanent basis. It also allows you to switch to an FLR(M) visa from inside the UK. It costs £1,523.

So while you could get a Marriage Visitor Visa, then marry in the U.K., and return to the US to apply for a spousal visa, it’s probably quicker and easier to just marry in the US without a visa instead.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 02:40:36 PM by ksand24 »

Re: Fiance or Spouse Visa - Our journey to marriage
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2018, 02:47:24 PM »
The marriage visitor visa is nothing more than a 6-month visitor visa that just allows you to marry during your visit. You cannot switch to a spousal/FLR(M) visa from it from inside the U.K. and you must leave the U.K. before the 6 months are up. You would also need to show no intention of living in the U.K. and evidence of a home, a job and a life to return to in the US.

The fiancé visa is a settlement visa (a visa that eventually leads to permanent residence in the U.K.) and allows you to live in the U.K. on a permanent basis. It also allows you to switch to an FLR(M) visa from inside the UK. It costs £1,523.

So while you could get a Marriage Visitor Visa, then marry in the U.K., and return to the US to apply for a spousal visa, it’s probably quicker and easier to just marry in the US without a visa instead.

Ahh okay thank you! :)

So yes think we are going down the route of marriage in the US and then just get the spouse visa.
Additionally, it allows some of her family, who can't make our wedding in N.Ireland, be part of the 'official' wedding which is so much better :)

So! The next set of questions:

1. Once we marry in the States - Do we both apply for the spouse visa, or what is her and my role play?
2. Biometrics - I have seen this floating around, is this something she still needs for the spouse visa?
3. How soon after the wedding can we get the ball rolling? Provided the marriage certificate is done.

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2018, 02:53:50 PM »
1. Once we marry in the States - Do we both apply for the spouse visa, or what is her and my role play?
2. Biometrics - I have seen this floating around, is this something she still needs for the spouse visa?
3. How soon after the wedding can we get the ball rolling? Provided the marriage certificate is done.

1. Well she will be the one applying for the visa, but most of the supporting documents will come from you as her sponsor for the visa

2. Biometrics is where she has her fingerprints and digital photo taken for the visa. Biometrics must be done for every visa application and in the US they are taken by US immigration on behalf of UKVI. When she submits the online application (after you are married) she will be promoted to book a biometrics appointment at one of the 129 USCIS Application Support Centers across the US.

3. You can apply as soon as you have the marriage certificate and all the documents completely ready. You may be able to time it so that you bring all the documents to the US with you for the wedding and then she applies right after the wedding.

Bear in mind though that the document requirements are strict and must meet the requirements exactly - including things like everything must be original or certified and your latest payslip, bank statement and your employer letter must be dated no more than 28 days before the date she submits her online application.

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2018, 04:42:20 PM »
1. Well she will be the one applying for the visa, but most of the supporting documents will come from you as her sponsor for the visa

2. Biometrics is where she has her fingerprints and digital photo taken for the visa. Biometrics must be done for every visa application and in the US they are taken by US immigration on behalf of UKVI. When she submits the online application (after you are married) she will be promoted to book a biometrics appointment at one of the 129 USCIS Application Support Centers across the US.

3. You can apply as soon as you have the marriage certificate and all the documents completely ready. You may be able to time it so that you bring all the documents to the US with you for the wedding and then she applies right after the wedding.

Bear in mind though that the document requirements are strict and must meet the requirements exactly - including things like everything must be original or certified and your latest payslip, bank statement and your employer letter must be dated no more than 28 days before the date she submits her online application.

1. Okay, so I will have to supply her those documents? Just thinking of that when we get married in the States I could bring them with me. But does that look dodgy me bringing bank statements, letters, etc. through security?

2. With that: when heading out (I actually fly into Canada as she is closer to the border in Minnesota) am I am allowed to say "im off to get married" or, not that they will when i re-enter "i was getting married"?

3. Just looking at that the moment, the only two things I need are two forms of ID?
http://co.cook.mn.us/2016site/index.php/2016-05-09-18-16-48/marriage-license

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2018, 04:51:37 PM »
1. Okay, so I will have to supply her those documents? Just thinking of that when we get married in the States I could bring them with me. But does that look dodgy me bringing bank statements, letters, etc. through security?

2. With that: when heading out (I actually fly into Canada as she is closer to the border in Minnesota) am I am allowed to say "im off to get married" or, not that they will when i re-enter "i was getting married"?

3. Just looking at that the moment, the only two things I need are two forms of ID?
http://co.cook.mn.us/2016site/index.php/2016-05-09-18-16-48/marriage-license

1.  Yes, you can absolutely bring the papers with you.  And no, it won't look funny.  If anything, it'll prove #2.

2.  No, you will be fine.  The USA Immigration Controls specifically states that if you are marrying in the USA and do not plan to settle, you should marry on an ESTA (your visa waiver).  Having all your documentation for the application will simply back this up.  :)  Think of Vegas and how many people (foreigners included) marry there every day.  You are doing nothing wrong.  :)  If immigration asks the purpose of your trip and you say "to get married."  You'll like get told anything from "Congratulations" to "Don't do it."  :D

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2018, 12:30:27 AM »
1.  Yes, you can absolutely bring the papers with you.  And no, it won't look funny.  If anything, it'll prove #2.

2.  No, you will be fine.  The USA Immigration Controls specifically states that if you are marrying in the USA and do not plan to settle, you should marry on an ESTA (your visa waiver).  Having all your documentation for the application will simply back this up.  :)  Think of Vegas and how many people (foreigners included) marry there every day.  You are doing nothing wrong.  :)  If immigration asks the purpose of your trip and you say "to get married."  You'll like get told anything from "Congratulations" to "Don't do it."  :D

Okay great thank you :)

In terms of my bank statements that I need to provide, is this just looking at my wages entering my bank account? I am just wondering about other payments I receive. Not from companies, but from friends who may pay me for any gigs I have payed with them and they electronically sent payment.

Also, this may not be an issue, but I also have two ISA's in my name. Do these need to be documented and sent as well?

• Liked: 85
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2018, 02:33:55 AM »
Okay great thank you :)

In terms of my bank statements that I need to provide, is this just looking at my wages entering my bank account? I am just wondering about other payments I receive. Not from companies, but from friends who may pay me for any gigs I have payed with them and they electronically sent payment.

Also, this may not be an issue, but I also have two ISA's in my name. Do these need to be documented and sent as well?

I’m in a similar boat as you right now, I just sent off my spouse visa yesterday!

Yes, the bank statements are just to confirm that the payments have entered your account. Be sure they match your pay slips exactly, and if not, provide a letter from your employer to explain why they may be off. I even included a letter from my husband’s employer to explain why the dates didn’t match up exactly (this is common but just to be safe!). Don’t worry about any other payments on the statements, they only care about your pay.

As for ISA info, we did not include it as the only financial information they need from you is your pay. We thought about providing it to demonstrate financial stability but decided against it because some visa categories do require savings, and we didn’t want to confuse the officer handling our application.
FLR(M) Timeline:
Application type: Spouse settlement visa extension (super priority)
BRP expiration: Late May 2021
Online application submitted: April 14, 2021
Biometrics appointment: April 25, 2021
Decision made: April 26, 2021 - emailed at 1:40 pm

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2018, 05:28:31 AM »

Other payments are irrelevant. The only reason you provide your bank statements are so they can match the payslip deposits into your bank with the amount on your payslip each month.

If you have been with your employer for at least 6 months and have been earning at least £18,600 for all that time, you will need to provide:
- 6 full months (not a day less) of original payslips, showing at least £1,550 before tax on each one, the latest dated no more than 28 days before the date you submit the online application
- 6 full months (not a day less) of original bank statements, showing the deposit of every single payslip, the latest dated no more than 28 days before the date you submit the online application. These must cover exactly the same 6 months as the payslips... to the day.
- letter from your employer, dated no more than 28 days before the date the online application is submitted, stating ALL of the following:
- current employment and salary
- length of employment
- length of time earning current salary
- type of employment

Optional but recommended:
- you original job contract
- your latest P60

Note that the online application should not be submitted until she has all the supporting documents in her hands and is ready to mail them all to Sheffield for visa processing. If she plans to change her name in her passport before applying for the visa, you may not be able to bring all the documents with you to the US, as they may be out of date by the time she applies (so you would need to mail the most recent ones to her afterwards).

Nope, they should not be mentioned unless you are having to use cash savings to meet the income requirement (I.e. you earn less than £18,600 per year).

However, to use savings, the first £16,000 are not considered and then on top of that you need 2.5 times the difference between your salary and £18,600 in savings.

So, say you earn £15,000 a year, you would need £25,000 in savings to meet the financial requirement (£16,000 + (2.5 x £3,600).

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2018, 10:32:30 AM »
I’m in a similar boat as you right now, I just sent off my spouse visa yesterday!

Yes, the bank statements are just to confirm that the payments have entered your account. Be sure they match your pay slips exactly, and if not, provide a letter from your employer to explain why they may be off. I even included a letter from my husband’s employer to explain why the dates didn’t match up exactly (this is common but just to be safe!). Don’t worry about any other payments on the statements, they only care about your pay.

Oh wow, great to know we are in kinda the same boat! :)

Yeah I have just checked my recent payslip and the date on the payslip is out by 4 days. So the payslip says the 26th, yet it entered the bank on the 30th May.

And your letter just stated why they are off from your employer?

Other payments are irrelevant. The only reason you provide your bank statements are so they can match the payslip deposits into your bank with the amount on your payslip each month.

If you have been with your employer for at least 6 months and have been earning at least £18,600 for all that time, you will need to provide:
- 6 full months (not a day less) of original payslips, showing at least £1,550 before tax on each one, the latest dated no more than 28 days before the date you submit the online application
- 6 full months (not a day less) of original bank statements, showing the deposit of every single payslip, the latest dated no more than 28 days before the date you submit the online application. These must cover exactly the same 6 months as the payslips... to the day.

Thank you.

As mentioned above, it seems some of the dates on the payslips are slightly off to them entering my bank (which is usual, so i expect that will happen from June - October) So I will need to include in that statement from my employer as to why. Or should that be a separate letter?

And just to clarify with the bank statements and payslips:

1. If I get paid on the 30th September (payslip says 26th lets say, enters bank on 30th) - we have until the 28th October to submit the application or the 24th?

2. Same as the question above.

Sorry if this is so pedantic!  :)

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2018, 10:41:54 AM »
As mentioned above, it seems some of the dates on the payslips are slightly off to them entering my bank (which is usual, so i expect that will happen from June - October) So I will need to include in that statement from my employer as to why. Or should that be a separate letter?

Yes, the employer letter should state why the dates are different.

You only need to send 1 letter from the employer, so everything should be included in it:
- the requirements as listed above
plus
- the reason for the difference in dates between payslips and deposits
plus
- if the payslips are not original, an authentication that they are correct, and confirming the amount on each one

1. If I get paid on the 30th September (payslip says 26th lets say, enters bank on 30th) - we have until the 28th October to submit the application or the 24th?

2. Same as the question above.

Sorry if this is so pedantic!  :)

What is important is the date the payslip is issued - if the payslip is dated the 26th September, then you have until 24th October to submit the online application.

Therefore, your 6 months for the payslips will be: March 26th to September 26th, and they must cover every single day of those 6 months, so you will likely need to send the following payslips:
March 2018
April 2018
May 2018
June 2018
July 2018
August 2018
September 2018

For the bank statements, they must show the deposit of every single payslip AND they must cover a full 6 months AND they must cover the entire 6 months shown by the payslips

So, if the money enters your account on September 30th, you will need the bank statement that covers right up to September 30th, and you will also need to go back to the bank statement that covers the date on the March payslip (i.e. if the first payslip is March 26th, you have to cover back to March 26th with the bank statements too).

So, for the bank statements, you'll likely also need:
March 2018
April 2018
May 2018
June 2018
July 2018
August 2018
September 2018
and possibly October as well, depending on your bank statement cut-off date (you can probably get a partial statement printed from the bank).

Sponsored Links