Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Contacting US Social Security  (Read 2861 times)

• Liked: 674
Contacting US Social Security
« on: June 28, 2018, 03:02:29 PM »
Ok, everything's done online. Filed for benefits many weeks ago.

Heard nothing. All the instructions I get are to check my status on my online account. The one that I can't set up because I'm overseas.

Ok, emailed London Embassy. A week later they wrote back that my application was in process and that SS would be contacting me "soon" about it.

Received an email today from SSA asking that I contact them at 410-965-2210 and ask for a specific person.  No hours of operation given, nothing available on the website that I could find.

Have phoned twice now, once shortly after 8:00am their time and once at about 9:30 their time. Get a voice mailbox. Says leave name, etc., and they'll call back within two days.

So, great, I get to sit at home for two days and wait for them to phone.  >:(

Tried the other number for overseas persons as listed on their web page. 410-965-2356.

Recording of a long list of instructions are read off - if I'm already eligble to phone another number.

Phoned the appropriate, recommended number. Recording:  Voice mailbox full, Transferring to attendant. Some clicking and clacking, and an automated voice who comes on the line and says all the mailboxes are full and try again some other time. Goodbye. Click.

Went back to phone 2356, as it said it could be used if you had applied but not received bennies yet. Listened to the whole spiel again as to who should call what number, then it rolled over to a voice mailbox.

So, it is freaking impossible to actually do what the email I received from them says - to contact Mr. SSDude at 410-965-2210 "Before July 13, 2018"

If I was still having to go down to the payphone on the corner to do this, I'd be seriously hopping-up-and-down livid by now.  As it is, I'm just annoyed. They had my freaking phone number, they could have phoned. What the hell????
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 03:17:42 PM by Nan D. »

• Liked: 6110
Re: Contacting US Social Security
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2018, 03:06:18 PM »
Ok, everything's done online. Filed for benefits many weeks ago.

Heard nothing. All the instructions I get are to check my status on my online account. The one that I can't set up because I'm overseas.

Ok, emailed London Embassy. A week later they wrote back that my application was in process and that SS would be contacting me "soon" about it.

Received an email today from SSA asking that I contact them at 410-965-2210 and ask for a specific person.  No hours of operation given, nothing available on the website that I could find.

Have phoned twice now, once shortly after 8:00am their time and once at about 9:30 their time. Get a voice mailbox. Says leave name, etc., and they'll call back within two days.

So, great, I get to sit at home for two days and wait for them to phone.  >:(

Tried the other number for overseas persons as listed on their web page. 410-965-2356.

Recording of a long list of instructions are read off and if I'm already eligble to phone another number.

Phoned the appropriate, recommended number. Recording:  Voice mailbox full, Transferring to attendant. Some clicking and clacking, and an automated voice who comes on the line and says all the mailboxes are full and try again some other time. Goodbye. Click.

Went back to phone 2356, as it said it could be used if you had applied but not received bennies yet. Listened to the whole spiel again as to who should call what number, then it rolled over to a voice mailbox.

So, it is freaking impossible to actually do what the email I received from them says - to contact Mr. SSDude at 410-965-2210 "Before July 13, 2018"

If I was still having to go down to the payphone on the corner to do this, I'd be seriously hopping-up-and-down livid by now.  As it is, I'm just annoyed. They had my freaking phone number, they could have phoned. What the hell????

Oh Nan, I'm sorry! I had forgotten that US bureaucracy can give the UK a run for it's money!

I would call the embassy and see what they say.

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2018, 03:16:44 PM »
Yeah, they take calls between 10 and 1, so I'll try that tomorrow. My guess is that they'll say to wait for the call from Mr.-SSADude-across-the-water. Who  wants to "review my earnings record and my claim for social security benefits". (I had to click that I had not reviewed my earnings record when I applied, because I can't freaking see it because their system won't allow anyone overseas to register to see it....)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 03:20:25 PM by Nan D. »

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2018, 03:19:41 PM »
Yeah, they take calls between 10 and 1, so I'll try that tomorrow. My guess is that they'll say to wait for the call from Mr. SSADude across the water.

But at least you'll be doing something!  :)

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2018, 03:21:12 PM »
Yeah. It's either that or clean the oven.

I'd rather be cleaning the oven.

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2018, 05:26:55 PM »
Yeah. It's either that or clean the oven.

I'd rather be cleaning the oven.

I hear you! Good luck getting through!  :)

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2018, 06:28:50 PM »
Actually, I just tried again and got straight through.

So I'll get a direct deposit on the 3rd of the month, and they'll add the retro payment onto that first one in August. (It's too late to make the cutoff for getting a payment in July.) All done.

I hope I got it right, but having it direct deposited to my account here in the UK gets me the best exchange rate?

Coolies.

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2018, 06:33:15 PM »
Actually, I just tried again and got straight through.

So I'll get a direct deposit on the 3rd of the month, and they'll add the retro payment onto that first one in August. (It's too late to make the cutoff for getting a payment in July.) All done.

I hope I got it right, but having it direct deposited to my account here in the UK gets me the best exchange rate?

Coolies.

Yay!

Yes, it will get you the best possible rate at the time, many people do it that way. The alternative is to have it deposited in your US account then you can bring it over when the rates are in your favour and hold off when they are not so good.

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2018, 08:54:56 PM »
Eh, well, I'd have to transfer money over every month from my USA account if I didn't have this being direct deposited to the UK, and the SS pension is much smaller than my other pension, so unless the market gets rediculously volitile, I'll just stick with having one pension to one account in one country and the other pension to the other account in the other country. Keeping track of what's where gives me something to do.... ;D

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2018, 08:57:52 PM »
Eh, well, I'd have to transfer money over every month from my USA account if I didn't have this being direct deposited to the UK, and the SS pension is much smaller than my other pension, so unless the market gets rediculously volitile, I'll just stick with having one pension to one account in one country and the other pension to the other account in the other country. Keeping track of what's where gives me something to do.... ;D

Excellent plan!  ;D

• Liked: 63
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2018, 10:51:46 AM »
Another benefit to having your SS deposited to your UK account is that you know exactly what to report on your UK Self Assessment - no looking up Fx rates. You get what you get, and that's what you report.

We've had the direct deposit since day 1; wouldn't do it any other way.
Married December 1992 (my 'old flame' whom I first met in the mid-70s)
1st move to UK - 1993 (Letter of Consent granted at British Embassy in Washington DC)
ILR - 1994 (1 year later - no fee way back then!)
Back to US in 2000
Returned to UK July 2011 (Spousal Visa/KOL endorsement)
ILR - September 2011
Application for naturalization submitted July 2014
Approval received 15-10-14; ceremony scheduled for 10 November!
Passport arrived 25 November 2014. Finally done!

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2018, 09:46:37 AM »
I have to say, it's nice having it just show up in my UK account now!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab