Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Refusal Letter  (Read 3194 times)

• Liked: 347
Re: Refusal Letter
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2018, 12:43:10 AM »
Starts on page 55.  Yes, it does read that if a payment plan is agreed, it is the discretion of the ECO.

Have you looked into getting one of those interest free credit cards to pay the NHS debt, so that is zero? That could avoid the possible loss of another visa fee and the installments for the debt would be on the card. That's what somebody on another board said he did when his girlfriend gave birth while in the UK as a visitor and her visa was refused, even though he had set up an NHS repayment plan.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 12:46:11 AM by Sirius »

• Liked: 347
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2018, 12:52:09 AM »
I think in this case, there has to be some degree of common sense when potentially large debts are keeping families separated when there's a good faith effort to ensure they're paid. It's not taking advantage of the NHS then, it's being unlucky and not rich enough to pay it in a lump sum.

That's why those of us not rich enough,  take out insurance when visiting another country. Medical bills can run into hundreds of thousands. There was a story in the papers where somebody who was rich enough, as they joint owned one of the big sites, was unable to get medical care in the US where they were on holiday and had an accident, until they could prove they had the money to pay. They couldn't do that instantly and had to wait until they could. If they had insurance, then they wouldn't have had to wait for treatment.

There have been some on here who have got pregnant when they are visiting their British boyfriend. Once they find out they are pregnant,  they pay the NHS for their initial medical care, but then returned home and applied for a spouse visa. When they return on the spouse visa, then the rest of the pregnacy and birth is bill free.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 01:23:53 AM by Sirius »

• Liked: 35
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2018, 03:08:44 AM »
That's why those of us not rich enough,  take out insurance when visiting another country. Medical bills can run into hundreds of thousands. There was a story in the papers where somebody who was rich enough, as they joint owned one of the big sites, was unable to get medical care in the US where they were on holiday and had an accident, until they could prove they had the money to pay. They couldn't do that instantly and had to wait until they could. If they had insurance, then they wouldn't have had to wait for treatment.

There have been some on here who have got pregnant when they are visiting their British boyfriend. Once they find out they are pregnant,  they pay the NHS for their initial medical care, but then returned home and applied for a spouse visa. When they return on the spouse visa, then the rest of the pregnacy and birth is bill free.
My plan was to return to the US but I was advised by my doctors not to take a long haul flight because my pregnancy was high risk. Should I have done things differently? Definitely. I know that now. I didn’t think to take out US medical insurance at the time of my visit. I should have.
1st App Mailed: 03/14/18 STANDARD
Decision Made: 07/02/18(70 WD)
Decision: Denial
2nd App Mailed to NYC: 05/23/19 PRIORITY
Docs Arrived NYC: 05/28/19
Email to UKVI: 07/31/19
Email Recd to send Priority receipt: 08/02/19 (48 WD)
Visa Received: 08/09/19

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2018, 03:18:19 AM »
Have you looked into getting one of those interest free credit cards to pay the NHS debt, so that is zero? That could avoid the possible loss of another visa fee and the installments for the debt would be on the card. That's what somebody on another board said he did when his girlfriend gave birth while in the UK as a visitor and her visa was refused, even though he had set up an NHS repayment plan.

Yes! Thank you for that reminder. I saw that post. We’ll do whatever we can to pay it in full. I’ve looked at the pricing for the type of birth I had and if it’s around those estimated figures it’s significantly lower than giving birth in the US. We’ll pay whatever we need to. Right now it’s just chasing down someone who can bill me. I have to say the care given to mothers in the UK is absolutely amazing.

• Liked: 3598
Refusal Letter
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2018, 05:41:06 AM »
My plan was to return to the US but I was advised by my doctors not to take a long haul flight because my pregnancy was high risk. Should I have done things differently? Definitely. I know that now. I didn’t think to take out US medical insurance at the time of my visit. I should have.

The only thing to have done differently is to have taken out travel insurance for your trip before you left the US.

It’s standard practice to do this whenever you travel to a different country, because you never know what will happen while you are away (like not being able to fly and having your baby here), though it covers a lot of other things than healthcare (like delays, cancellations, lost luggage etc.).

Also, there is a policy now that if you receive NHS care as a visitor, you need to have travel/health insurance, or your treatment will be more expensive.

- If you have travel/health insurance, you pay 100% of the NHS bill, and then you can claim it back from the insurance company.

- if you don’t have travel/health insurance, you will have to pay 150% of the NHS bill, and it will have to come out of your own pocket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 4993
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2018, 08:42:07 AM »

Hindsight is always 20/20.  If I were to look back at every decision of my life, I'd likely do SOMETHING differently.  ;)

But yeah, definitely get travel insurance for anything in the future.  It's CHEAP.  And covers a lot.  And kids LOVE to get ill while traveling.  They LOVE to get ill while traveling.  LOVE IT.  LOL!

• Liked: 967
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2018, 11:16:08 AM »
I know many people who have needed and used travel insurance for emergency surgeries. It's not something you think about when you're otherwise healthy but it's important! Pesky appendix for my husband, he paid less than I would have if it'd happened to me in the states.

• Liked: 6114
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2018, 11:21:44 AM »
Yeah, you just never know when something will happen.

• Liked: 113
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2018, 08:45:59 PM »
Can’t your husband visit you in the meantime? So he can also see yoir daughter.

#1 NON-PRIORITY UNMARRIED PARTNER
Living together since Nov 2014, son born on Mar 2016
Decision: Refusal (70 BD)
#2 PRIORITY SPOUSE
Online Application: 18 Mar 2018
Decision Made Email: 03 May 2018
Received Passport: 07 May 2018 (APPROVED)
Entered UK: 10 May 2018
#3 NON-PRIORITY FLR(M)
Online Application: 6 Jan 2021
UKVCAS Biometric Appointment: 2 Feb 2021
Decision Made Email: 22 Mar 2021 (APPROVED)

« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2018, 04:52:40 PM »
Can’t your husband visit you in the meantime? So he can also see yoir daughter.

We’re trying to figure that at out the moment. He is a small business owner and can’t easily leave the business for more than a few days. We’ll figure something out.

« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2018, 05:01:55 PM »
I received a response from the Hospital Trust. They apologized for not billing us sooner. I asked them to send over a detailed bill so I can get set up on a payment plan. The other thing I did was contact a non profit maternity action group that helps advise women on NHS maternity debt matters. They sent me some really useful information. Once I get out from under my daughter I’ll post the email. It may help others in this situation.

• Liked: 4993
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2018, 05:03:20 PM »
I received a response from the Hospital Trust. They apologized for not billing us sooner. I asked them to send over a detailed bill so I can get set up on a payment plan. The other thing I did was contact a non profit maternity action group that helps advise women on NHS maternity debt matters. They sent me some really useful information. Once I get out from under my daughter I’ll post the email. It may help others in this situation.

Good news and that would be great if you let us know what is says.  We get at least one person a year I estimate who was told antenatal care is free in the UK and they won't be billed.  It will help us guide them!  :)

• Liked: 6114
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2018, 05:17:50 PM »
We get at least one person a year I estimate who was told antenatal care is free in the UK and they won't be billed.  It will help us guide them!  :)

And it's no wonder people believe them, they are the ones who work there after all.  :-\\\\

« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2018, 05:54:32 PM »

Thank you for your enquiry.  We provide free and confidential advice on entitlement to NHS maternity care and charging.

Since you had leave to remain as a visitor, when you had your NHS maternity care, you were properly chargeable, but the hospital really should have told you that at the time and to raise a bill late would be 'maladministration' according to Department of Health Guidance.

You could contact the hospital, request an invoice and negotiate an affordable repayment plan (see attached leaflet).  Once this is agreed, the Trust should tell the Home Office that the debt is settled, and the Home Office should not rely on the debt to refuse immigration applications.

Alternatively, you can make a subject access request to obtain your Home Office file:home office subject access request.  They must provide your file within 20 days.  You can then check whether the file records any NHS debt.  If there is no debt recorded, you can decide whether to just make your spouse visa application and deal with the NHS debt, if it comes up.  If the debt exists and comes to the attention of the Home Office, while your application is under consideration, they could either contact you and ask you rectify before they decide your spouse visa application, or they could just refuse the application.  If that happened, you appeal the Home Office refusal on the grounds that you had not been billed, and at the same time, you could negotiate a payment plan.

I hope that this is helpful, but please contact me if you need clarification.  It would help us if you would kindly complete and return the attached form as we need this anonymous information to maintain funding for our services.

Best wishes and your sincerely

Kamla Adiseshiah

Emails to the Maternity Care Access Advice Service are answered by:

Rebecca Walker      or        Kamla Adiseshiah
Adviser                               Solicitor

Rebecca usually works on Mondays.  Kam usually works on Thursdays

The Maternity Care Access Advice Service provides advice on entitlement to NHS maternity care and charging. For telephone advice please call 0808 800 0041 (freephone) on Thursdays between 10am and 12 noon.

« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2018, 05:58:51 PM »
I’m having issues posting the attachment to her email but will keep trying

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab