Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: [HELP] Dealing with California FTB Regarding 2015 State Tax as Non-resident  (Read 517 times)

• Liked: 1
Hi all,

I seem to be in trouble with California FTB and need your advice on how to deal with the whole thing. It's a bit long as all tax troubles are.

Some context: I've been working overseas since 2014 and my tax from 2014-2015 was handled by a professional expat tax agency. My previous employer(who I worked for from 2014 to 2016) is headquartered in CA but I was working in their Asia branch.

I recently received an Order to Withhold Personal Income Tax from CA FTB stating that I haven't done my 2015 CA state tax return so they withheld $$$$ from my US bank account :\\\'(. I went back to ask the tax accountant who did my 2015 tax. They told me that I didn't need to file CA tax return because by that time I was already a non-resident and my employer at that time DID NOT report my income to CA gov.

I called FTB and they told me the opposite. They told me that they've received income report from my then employer and they reported my state wage.

I went back to check my W-2 and it was clearly stating a wage number in the State Wage box.

After further discussion with my accountant, I discovered that my then employer filed a W-2c correcting my CA income to be zero. I was completely unaware of the W-2C. I now have the W-2C form from my accountant but I don't know if my former employer actually filed it to CA state gov?

It seems like that I need to talk to FTB to clarify that there is a W-2c and I don't actually owe them any tax.

Does anyone have similar experience? I know it's very specific, so sharing any similar experience/thoughts would be helpful.

• Liked: 6110
Wow, that's horrid!  I can't help with your question but I hope you get everything cleared up asap!

• Liked: 1
Wow, that's horrid!  I can't help with your question but I hope you get everything cleared up asap!

Thank you  :\\\'( [smiley=heart.gif]

• Liked: 102
Very, very typical behaviour for the FTB.  Usually resolved quickest over the phone.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab