Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Going Back to the UK - going mad trying to figure out professional credentials  (Read 1751 times)

• Liked: 0
Hey everyone,

I was a regular here about 12 or so years ago. UK Yankee helped me get through my visa and move to the UK relatively hassle free. It also helped me about 8 years ago get back to the US. Now it's looking like we're going right back to the UK.

I'm a little confused about how to get back like if they'll let me back in after moving to the US. I looked at the visa application and I"m confused if the financial requirements are what *I'm* supposed to be making or what the household is supposed to be making. I"m the only American in the household - my husband and two sons are British citizens (or my youngest son is supposed to be but we haven't applied for it yet).

Also, I'm a certified yoga teacher and I'm getting my Personal Training certification next month - I have no idea if they transfer to the UK or what the requirements are for these jobs over there. I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed by it all to be honest. Hopefully I can work something out here.

Thanks everyone!

• Liked: 6111
Hey everyone,

I was a regular here about 12 or so years ago. UK Yankee helped me get through my visa and move to the UK relatively hassle free. It also helped me about 8 years ago get back to the US. Now it's looking like we're going right back to the UK.

I'm a little confused about how to get back like if they'll let me back in after moving to the US. I looked at the visa application and I"m confused if the financial requirements are what *I'm* supposed to be making or what the household is supposed to be making. I"m the only American in the household - my husband and two sons are British citizens (or my youngest son is supposed to be but we haven't applied for it yet).

Also, I'm a certified yoga teacher and I'm getting my Personal Training certification next month - I have no idea if they transfer to the UK or what the requirements are for these jobs over there. I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed by it all to be honest. Hopefully I can work something out here.

Thanks everyone!

Welcome back! It's a shame you didn't get citizenship before you left because things are a lot different now.

The easiest way to apply would be using savings of £62,500 which you have held for at least 6 months. The money must be instantly accessible and be only in your name, your husbands name or jointly held.
If relying on employment income and a job offer, that's all on your husband.

• Liked: 113
You should be able to transfer your yoga credentials over if you’re an RYT with Yoga Alliance (International). Note there is a different Yoga Alliance UK. Also, liability insurance is required if you want to teach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 08:38:17 PM by masonjohnsmum »
#1 NON-PRIORITY UNMARRIED PARTNER
Living together since Nov 2014, son born on Mar 2016
Decision: Refusal (70 BD)
#2 PRIORITY SPOUSE
Online Application: 18 Mar 2018
Decision Made Email: 03 May 2018
Received Passport: 07 May 2018 (APPROVED)
Entered UK: 10 May 2018
#3 NON-PRIORITY FLR(M)
Online Application: 6 Jan 2021
UKVCAS Biometric Appointment: 2 Feb 2021
Decision Made Email: 22 Mar 2021 (APPROVED)

Welcome back! It's a shame you didn't get citizenship before you left because things are a lot different now.

The easiest way to apply would be using savings of £62,500 which you have held for at least 6 months. The money must be instantly accessible and be only in your name, your husbands name or jointly held.
If relying on employment income and a job offer, that's all on your husband.

My husband has a job that pays more than that. I have not held a job in over 10 years since I was last in the UK. Am I okay if my husband makes enough? I don't have that in savings.

You should be able to transfer your yoga credentials over if you’re an RYT with Yoga Alliance (International). Note there is a different Yoga Alliance UK. Also, liability insurance is required if you want to teach.

I'm not with YA (International) I'm with NACYT. I'm not worried so much about my yoga as I am with the personal training as teaching yoga in the UK does not technically require any certification. Although if I want a job at a gym or something like that I'd want to know what's best.

• Liked: 3597
Welcome back to the forum :).

My husband has a job that pays more than that. I have not held a job in over 10 years since I was last in the UK. Am I okay if my husband makes enough? I don't have that in savings.

If you do not have enough in savings, then the UK citizen sponsor is the one who must show they have a job that meets the financial requirements. As the US citizen, YOUR employment income cannot be considered at all anyway.

In order to qualify for the visa based on employment income, your husband must show either:

1. He has been working in the UK, for a UK employer, for at least 6 months AND has been earning at least £18,600 for the entire 6 months.

OR

a) He has earned at least £18,600 in the US in the last 12 months
AND
b) He has a guaranteed UK job offer paying at least £18,600 and starting within 3 months of moving back

OR

a) He is currently employed in the US and has been with his employer and earning at least £18,600 per year for a minimum of 6 months
AND
b) He has a guaranteed UK job offer paying at least £18,600 and starting within 3 months of moving back

There are other ways to meet the requirements (non-employment income, pension income, etc.), but the UK citizen's employment income is one of the main ones.

Have a read through the financial requirement document to see the different ways in which you can meet the financial requirement for the visa:
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/636618/Appendix_FM_1_7_Financial_Requirement_Final.pdf

• Liked: 6111

He would also need to have a job offer starting in the UK within 3 months of your move, or he could go ahead and work for 6 months.

Have a look at the  financial requirements here for more details.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/636618/Appendix_FM_1_7_Financial_Requirement_Final.pdf

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigration-rules/immigration-rules-appendix-fm-se-family-members-specified-evidence

Thanks, guys. You had me worried there for a second. His employer is a UK company, he will just transfer from the US office to the UK office so the financial thing is not a problem. I was just worried that because i was not contributing right away (unless my credentials transfer) that they would deny me. They didn't used to have this requirement. I was not even allowed to work for 6 months when I first moved to the UK last time. I'm more concerned because we have kids now. The UK is a lot more expensive than Texas (where I live) so I'd like to make money as soon as possible but I have nothing lined up at the moment. thanks for the help!

Thanks, guys. You had me worried there for a second. His employer is a UK company, he will just transfer from the US office to the UK office so the financial thing is not a problem

That's good :). He will need to produce an official job offer/signed contract to prove this, as well as providing 6 months of original payslips and bank statements, and a letter from his employer confirming his employment in the US.

I was just worried that because i was not contributing right away (unless my credentials transfer) that they would deny me.

Nope - in fact, they are not allowed to consider any contribution from you unless you already have a visa that allows you to live and work in the UK... the sole responsibility is on your husband to prove he can support you with his income.

They didn't used to have this requirement.

No, they didn't.

The rules changed drastically in 2012 and now it's much, much harder to qualify for a spousal visa. It also now takes 5 years to get ILR, on two 2.5-year spousal visas.

Unfortunately, this means you're going to have to budget about £10,000 in visa fees over the next 5 years (which is why there was mention above of it being unfortunate you didn't get UK citizenship when you lived here before).

I was not even allowed to work for 6 months when I first moved to the UK last time.

I'm assuming you came to the UK on a fiance visa last time, and then got married in the UK? That would be the only reason you would not be allowed to work for 6 months... because a spousal visa has always allowed work from day 1.

I'm more concerned because we have kids now. The UK is a lot more expensive than Texas (where I live) so I'd like to make money as soon as possible but I have nothing lined up at the moment. thanks for the help!

If you're concerned about things like money, I would have a serious look at the visa process over the next 5+ years - do your research and figure out whether you can really afford to move to the UK... because your visas alone will be very expensive (several thousand pounds every 2.5 years), and that's not even factoring in the cost of living in the UK again and raising kids here.

£10,000??? That's ridiculous! Last time it was only a few hundred and one renewal before citizenship came up.

We were thinking about leaving because being an immigrant in the US is becoming harder and harder and more unstable. I guess the UK isn't playing nice about it either. We just want to be a family and live without fear of being torn apart by stupid boarders.

• Liked: 4985
£10,000??? That's ridiculous! Last time it was only a few hundred and one renewal before citizenship came up.

We were thinking about leaving because being an immigrant in the US is becoming harder and harder and more unstable. I guess the UK isn't playing nice about it either. We just want to be a family and live without fear of being torn apart by stupid boarders.

Yeah, the visa fees are extortionate now.  The UK has become VERY anti-immigration.  It's in many ways the basis of Brexit.

The first visa is:  £1,523 + £600 NHS levy (this will double to £1,200 before 2018 is over but we don't know the date yet) + £573 priority processing (optional) + $265 return shipping

Current fees (typically rise by 25% annually):
Second visa is:  £1,033 + £1,000 NHS levy + £610 premium processing (optional)
Indefinite Leave to Remain:  £2,389

In total, if all fees were to remain the same, it would cost £7,500ish in total to get to Indefinite Leave to Remain WITHOUT priority processing.  Citizenship currently runs about £1,300.  Sadly, these fees just continue to go up and up and all are approved to rise to MUCH higher rates (£3,250 per visa). 

I would recommend that your husband obtains USA citizenship if you think there is a chance you may want to return to the USA in the future.  That way you wouldn't have to restart the process.  I finally obtained UK citizenship this year after 8 years here and it has brought my family a lot of peace, knowing that no matter what, we can all live in the UK together without government saying if we can stay or not.  :)

"NHS levy" such BS!  Immigrants pay taxes just the same as everyone else so they're essentially paying twice! I remember when my boss over there started complaining about immigrants taking advantage of NHS and not paying back and I reminded him I was an immigrant and paid taxes just like he did and he said "Well, I don't mean you." 

Both the US and the UK are all kinds of screwed up right now. In the US, they won't let you  apply for a renewal for a green card until six months before the last card expires but they can take more than 6 months to approve it or not. In the meantime, you have to stay in the US but after that 6 months, you're essentially illegally in the US (and are subject to detainment and exportation) even while you legally wait for approval. I feel like all nations are just all kinds of messed up right now. We just want our family to be together without fear.

• Liked: 4985
"NHS levy" such BS!  Immigrants pay taxes just the same as everyone else so they're essentially paying twice! I remember when my boss over there started complaining about immigrants taking advantage of NHS and not paying back and I reminded him I was an immigrant and paid taxes just like he did and he said "Well, I don't mean you." 

Both the US and the UK are all kinds of screwed up right now. In the US, they won't let you  apply for a renewal for a green card until six months before the last card expires but they can take more than 6 months to approve it or not. In the meantime, you have to stay in the US but after that 6 months, you're essentially illegally in the US (and are subject to detainment and exportation) even while you legally wait for approval. I feel like all nations are just all kinds of messed up right now. We just want our family to be together without fear.

Ah, the infamous "not immigrants like you" statement that we all loathe.  Dude, we ARE the face of immigration.  People who contribute and use very little in return.

The UK is even more fun. You can apply for a renewal no more than 28 days prior to expiration but the application can take up to six months to process.  No travel during that either.  Fun times! 

It does suck, but there are a lot of people who move to the U.K. on visas and don’t pay taxes because they aren’t working, so the levy is a contribution towards their healthcare since they’re new to the country and haven’t previously paid into the system.

That can’t be right, surely?

In the U.K., as long as you apply for the next visa before the current one expires, your current immigration status is extended while your new application is processing. You can’t become illegal unless the visa is refused and you neither apply again, leave the U.K. nor appeal the decision within 14 days.

Just reading up on US green cards and it looks like, if you have permanent residency and your green card expires, you are still considered legal because it’s ‘permanent’ residency.... however, you should still apply to renew it because you should have a valid card at all times.

So, since you can only get a green card if you are a permanent resident, I don’t see how it’s possible to become illegal if your green card expires before you get the new one.

• Liked: 958
It does suck, but there are a lot of people who move to the U.K. on visas and don’t pay taxes because they aren’t working, so the levy is a contribution towards their healthcare since they’re new to the country and haven’t previously paid into the system.

That can’t be right, surely?

In the U.K., as long as you apply for the next visa before the current one expires, your current immigration status is extended while your new application is processing. You can’t become illegal unless the visa is refused and you neither apply again, leave the U.K. nor appeal the decision within 14 days.

Just reading up on US green cards and it looks like, if you have permanent residency and your green card expires, you are still considered legal because it’s ‘permanent’ residency.... however, you should still apply to renew it because you should have a valid card at all times.

So, since you can only get a green card if you are a permanent resident, I don’t see how it’s possible to become illegal if your green card expires before you get the new one.

I think it's basically because you need to carry the card to prove your status. ICE seems to function on a deport now, ask questions later process. The US is quite messed up atm and a lot of people seem to be getting caught in the crosshairs. :(

But I agree on the point of citizenship. If your husband qualifies it would be worth getting provided it wouldn't make too much of a tax nightmare.

• Liked: 344
"NHS levy" such BS!  Immigrants pay taxes just the same as everyone else so they're essentially paying twice!

It was meant to be the same as the Aussie and Kiwis  do to protect their health service. Medicals to pass for every visa to check if that applicant will be a burden to the health service now or in the future (e.g. obese); higher amounts to be paid in insurance for the rest of their lives for those who arrive when they are older and therefore haven't funded the NHS,  as they have been paying the majority of their working taxes to another country; which would catch the Brits who also do this too. Instead of that tried and tested system, they came up with this idea of having to contribute a small amount for 5 years until settlement and then bill free NHS, which still doesn't protect the NHS from this abuse

Although we did see the linking of free healthcare to being in receipt of a UK state pension, for the S1 system. The govenment at the time stating that just because they had British citizenship, it didn't mean that the UK taxpayers would pay for their healthcare  in retirement if they hadn't paid their working taxes to the UK for years too. Being able to get a UK state pension via a partners contributions to the UK, was also stopped. That ending and now having to pay for themselves, caught a lot of people out, as it seems that many had planned/plan their retirement on moving to where they can get free healthcare.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 11:09:22 AM by Sirius »

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab