Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Going Back to the UK - going mad trying to figure out professional credentials  (Read 1748 times)

• Liked: 957
It was meant to be the same as the Aussie and Kiwis  do to protect their health service. Medicals to pass for every visa to check if that applicant will be a burden to the health service now or in the future (e.g. obese); higher amounts to be paid in insurance for the rest of their lives for those who arrive when they are older and therefore haven't funded the NHS,  as they have been paying the majority of their working taxes to another country; which would catch the Brits who also do this too. Instead of that tried and tested system, they came up with this idea of having to contribute a small amount for 5 years until settlement and then bill free NHS, which still doesn't protect the NHS from this abuse

Although we did see the linking of free healthcare to being in receipt of a UK state pension, for the S1 system. The govenment at the time stating that just because they had British citizenship, it didn't mean that the UK taxpayers would pay for their healthcare  in retirement if they hadn't paid their working taxes to the UK for years too. Being able to get a UK state pension via a partners contributions to the UK, was also stopped. That ending and now having to pay for themselves, caught a lot of people out, as it seems that many had planned/plan their retirement on moving to where they can get free healthcare.
If the aussies are doing that to obese people there is something wrong with their system. The main reason for medical refusals is an active cancer diagnosis. Even something like MS is life long but manageable.

• Liked: 342
If the aussies are doing that to obese people there is something wrong with their system. The main reason for medical refusals is an active cancer diagnosis. Even something like MS is life long but manageable.

There is nothing "wrong with their system" as they are protecting their health care system for their own citizens.

I'm not sure why you think it is just things like cancer that would cause a visa appication to fail? The visa being granted  is based on the cost that immigrant will be to the country's health service and even the manamgement of their exisiting conditions, costs. Cancer costs can run into hundreds of thosuands of pounds and the health costs limit countries have to get a visa, are much, much lower than you seem to think. It's a limit of about £11,000 maximum cost to their health service over 5 years, to get a visa. 

Plus those who arrive in their country when they are middle age plus, even when they pass a medical, need private insurance too for the rest of theiir life to cover the costs of age related health costs. If they only take that out when they arrive in the country in later life, then they pay more than those who have been with the insurers all through their younger years too.

A financial burden limit to another country, that causes a visa refusal-

Australia  is 20,000 Aussie dollars over 3 to  5 years - (about £11,000)

If the cost of the health care is ‘significant’ then a refusal of a visa application normally follows.

As a general guide an assessment is made of the likely health costs over 3-5 years. If these costs are greater than $20,000 they are considered ‘significant’.

https://australia-visa-solutions.com/2013/08/23/health-and-medical-requirements-for-australian-visas/

All to have a medical for a visa, even children that are not wanting a visa to Oz, and if anybody  fails, then they all fail and can't have a visa.

Some visa holders in Australia don't get full free access to the Aussie heatlh service, even though they passed the medical and are young and fit.

Cananda has a Natioanal Health Service and they include services too in their limit of 24,000 Canadian dollars over 5 years. So less generous than getting a visa to Australia.

"If your condition will pose an excessive demand on Canada’s public health care system, you may not be admitted"

"What is excessive demand?

“Excessive demand” is considered to be any condition where certain financial demands will be placed on health or social service costs (and social service includes home care, special education services, rehabilitation services, devices, and so forth paid by a government agency).

The dollar amount of demand on health or services does change.  It is currently limited to no more than $24,030 over 5 years[."

http://immigrationcanada.pro/immigrate/medical-conditions-that-can-prevent-you-from-entering-canada-part-1/

New Zealand
"Obese American woman denied New Zealand visa"

"Immigration New Zealand denied the woman's application because of the strain she would pose on the national health system.  Under New Zealand immigration law, people who have over 35 cannot be granted permanent residency.  She also has type 2 diabetes and a high chance of developing heart disease, arthritis, cancer, gout and increased blood pressure. In just the next four years, medical professionals believe her condition would demand $25,000 from the health system. "
http://www.visabureau.com/newzealand/news/18-02-2009/obese-american-woman-denied-nz-visa.aspx

"AN OBESE SOUTH African chef declared too fat to live in New Zealand has given up the immigration battle to return home, reports have said today."
http://www.thejournal.ie/south-africa-leave-too-fat-weight-obese-2509838-Dec2015/

This is what the UK were meant to be getting to protect the NHS.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 04:14:30 PM by Sirius »

• Liked: 533
What is the price of a happy meal in Australia?  Is just about as relevant.
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 957
What is the price of a happy meal in Australia?  Is just about as relevant.
I agree. I just get angry when Sirius goes on about denying people on medical cost grounds. I'm incredibly grateful that the UK doesn't as my spouses family is here and I know i am not "cheap" but I am not nearly as expensive as a uk national smoker on benefits.

• Liked: 342
I just get angry when Sirius goes on about denying people on medical cost grounds

You said you thought that there was "something wrong with their system" when a country protects their health service for their own citizens and refuses a visa to those who will make an "excessive demand" on their national health service. You also said it was just cancer patients who will get a visa denied, when in fact the "excessive demand" limit is about £11,000 over 5 years for a visa refusal. Yet you think it is wrong for countries to do this?

The ones who got "angry" were the consultants who told the UK government that they got angry when they see somebody sitting in front of them who expects to have the NHS Trust's budget spent on them, when they had obliviously been paying lower taxes in another country for years.

There was also legitimate anger on the government website, from the people who find that their elderly relatives who have worked in the UK all their lives (including immigrants to the UK who have been working in the UK since their 20s) now find they in the queue for NHS treatment and services, behind those who have  moved to the UK.

This is was why there was the push to try protecting the UK's health service from abuse too, just as other countries with a national health service already do. Unitl 2000, the UK held net migration at 50k a year for decades and these planning their retirement to be in the UK and expecting to use the NHS for free, were low numbers.

and I know i am not "cheap" but I am not nearly as expensive as a uk national smoker on benefits.

Just the “UK nationals”? How about all the billions (that’s not a typo) being paid from the UK's welfare state every year, to all those who are a foreign national or who were a foreign national when they came to the UK? In fact until about 2002/3,  people had to work to keep themselves and their own families and there were no using benefits as a lifestyle choice because the benefits they mainly use today, were not there. There has been a push here too, to stop  people who have a strong sense of entitlement.

Smoking is a disgusting, selfish habit, but I’m sure they could put up a good arguement that as they have paid all their working taxes to the UK, and they purchase their cigarettes in the UK that has one of the highest tax rates on these, that they have paid for their own NHS treatment.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 11:42:38 AM by Sirius »

Sponsored Links