Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Marriage Visa with 3 children  (Read 722 times)

• Liked: 0
Marriage Visa with 3 children
« on: July 17, 2018, 08:28:44 PM »
I am looking to move myself and my 3 children from Texas to England to join my fiance in January (we will be married by then). I am completely confused with the timelines/procedures for the four Visas and the interview, as well as pretty much everything else. Especially involving the process for my children. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

• Liked: 3595
Re: Marriage Visa with 3 children
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2018, 08:36:04 PM »
Welcome to the forum :).

First off, there is no interview, so you don't need to worry about that. The 4 visas will be submitted by mail and processed in Sheffield, UK.

The only thing you have to attend is a biometrics appointment which is done by US immigration on behalf of UK immigration (so they don't really care what visa you're applying for - they're just providing a service), and it's just  5-10 minute appointment to give your fingerprints and photo for the application.

You will definitely need to give biometrics, but it depends on the ages of each of your children as to whether they need to do it. Children under the age of 5 do not need to give biometrics, but children 5 years and over do.

The process for children is pretty much the same as the process for you. You gather the supporting documents (you can use the same set of documents for all 4 applications, since the financial requirement will be calculated based on the number of child dependants applying), fill out the application forms, attend biometrics appointments and mail everything to Sheffield for processing.

Why don't you post a bit more about your situation (how you will be meeting the financial and accommodation requirements for the visa), when and where you will be marrying, and when you wish to move to the UK, and we can help you figure out your timeline a bit better :).

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2018, 08:42:59 PM »
Hi Cunnocourtney, welcome!

Do you have all necessary paperwork to prove that you are legally permitted to remove the children from the US?  They are extremely strict about that.

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2018, 08:55:04 PM »
My children are 11, 6, and 3.
My partner makes about 19,500£ a year and I've been looking into positions on the NHS but I'm under the impression that I need to have started a Visa to apply to any jobs. I'm not sure if thisis correct.
We are marrying in the US.
I have it signed in a final divorce decree from my children's father that there are no geographic restrictions and that I am the only one that can decide where they live/obtain passports for them.

I think that's everything....

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2018, 08:57:33 PM »
My children are 11, 6, and 3.
My partner makes about 19,500£ a year and I've been looking into positions on the NHS but I'm under the impression that I need to have started a Visa to apply to any jobs. I'm not sure if thisis correct.

That is correct - you cannot use your employment to meet the financial requirements unless you already have a visa to live and work in the UK.

However, if your partner only makes £19,500 at the moment, you will not meet the financial requirement for the  4 visas.

If you are applying for visas for yourself and 3 children, your UK sponsor needs to be earning at least £27,200 in the UK in order to meet the financial requirement.

The amount needed to meet the financial requirement is calculated as follows:
- US spouse only = £18,600
- US Spouse plus 1 dependant child = £22,400
- US spouse plus 2 or more children = another £2,400 for each child on top of the £22,400

So, in order to get visas for you and 3 children, your UK sponsor will need to be making the following amount:
£22,400 (you plus 1st child) + £2,400 (2nd child) + £2,400 (3rd child) = £27,200
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 09:01:20 PM by ksand24 »

• Liked: 387
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2018, 08:58:37 PM »
Hi, welcome to the forum!

Are your children from a previous relationship, or is your UK fiance the other parent? 

If your UK fiance is the parent, they are most likely British by descent and do not need a visa as they are already UK citizens (assuming your fiance is British otherwise than by descent). 

Otherwise, they will need visas, and you'll need permission from the other parent to move them to the UK / prove sole responsibility. 

I'm guessing your children are also all minors.  Minor children can move as dependants, but adult children must qualify for a visa in their own right and cannot be added as a dependent to your application.

Assuming that all your children will be moving with you and are not already UK citizens (and will need visas), does your fiance earn at least £27,200?  The financial requirement differs on how many children are moving, and this figures assumes one application (yourself) and 3 children.

Does your fiance have appropriate accommodation to house everyone without the property being considered overcrowded?

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2018, 09:02:13 PM »
As the others have mentioned, the employment income you quoted is not enough to sponsor your 3 children in addition to yourself.

Do you have any non employment income or savings that could be used to make up the difference?

Have a look at the financial requirements here.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/636618/Appendix_FM_1_7_Financial_Requirement_Final.pdf

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2018, 09:05:30 PM »
If he doesn't meet the financial requirements, would it then be advisable for me to apply for a work visa? And how would something like that work for my children?

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2018, 09:08:30 PM »
If he doesn't meet the financial requirements, would it then be advisable for me to apply for a work visa? And how would something like that work for my children?

It would probably be easier for him to take a second job. Once you are in the UK, your income can be used for the subsequent visas.

• Liked: 957
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2018, 09:10:25 PM »
Also, make sure you understand the fees for yourself + 3 children (assuming all will be minors for the next 5 years). 4x settlement visas applied for from the US, 4x FLR(M) in 2.5 years, and then 4x ILR in 5 years. The UK is quite anti immigrant at the moment and make it exorbitantly expensive to move a family :(

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2018, 09:12:35 PM »
You could apply for a work visa; however, work visas can be very difficult to qualify for (though not impossible). 

For a UK employer to sponsor you, they must prove that they have tried to recruit someone in the UK and EU first, and that no one is the UK and EU was qualified to do the job, and that's why they need to sponsor you.  This is called the resident labour market test (RLMT).

What is your profession?  Is it something very niche and/or highly skilled?  You may have better chances if your occupation is considered a skill in shortage in the UK as employers would not need to pass the RLMT.

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2018, 09:13:07 PM »
Also, make sure you understand the fees for yourself + 3 children (assuming all will be minors for the next 5 years). 4x settlement visas applied for from the US, 4x FLR(M) in 2.5 years, and then 4x ILR in 5 years.

Good point. And not to mention the healthcare surcharges.  :-\\\\

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2018, 09:18:30 PM »
Also, make sure you understand the fees for yourself + 3 children (assuming all will be minors for the next 5 years). 4x settlement visas applied for from the US, 4x FLR(M) in 2.5 years, and then 4x ILR in 5 years. The UK is quite anti immigrant at the moment and make it exorbitantly expensive to move a family :(

Yeah, you're probably looking at at least £40,000 in visa fees for all 4 of you over the next 5 years!

Alternatively, is there any possibility you could do things the other way around and have him move to the US instead of you and the kids moving to the UK? You only have to show you earn 125% above the US poverty line, and you can use a third-party co-sponsor (family member or friend) to meet that requirement if you need to.

Also, the fees for him to get a spousal visa/green card and citizenship are only a fraction of the fees for visas for the UK... I believe you'd be looking at about $3,000 total for him to get all the way to US citizenship, compared to at least £10,000 per person to get all the visas and UK citizenship in the UK.

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2018, 09:20:53 PM »

Adding onto this, we recommend that for a single person moving to the UK to plan on budgeting £10-12k over the 5 years to have enough for all the visa application fees and associated costs.  For the 4 sets of applications, it's going to be very pricey, even spread over 5 years.  At a minimum, probably around £40,000 for everyone... and likely higher as the visa fees increase each year and the health surcharge payment will be increasing as well.

• Liked: 957
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2018, 09:22:45 PM »
I just want to say I know these numbers are probably shocking and frustrating. If you're able to afford it that's wonderful! We just don't want you to be in the position where you can't afford it. The UK job market is tough and new immigrants tend to need to rely heavily on their partners for the first 6 months to a year. It is likely much easier for your partner to move to the US than to bring your family to the UK.

Sponsored Links