• Liked: 6110
Re: Home Canning
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2018, 05:45:16 AM »
Larrabee, are you up early or late?!

Haha! Early. Doubt I'll get back to sleep now!  ;D

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2018, 08:44:15 AM »
Sainsburys did it again. No show, no call. Had put in a bulk order, per their customer service team a week ago. And so they should have had stock on hand. So nobody shows up last evening. THIS MORNING I get an email that my order is cancelled.

That's the last I deal with Sainsburys.

And THIS is why I put up with Tescos poor customer service and crappy quality... at least they show up.  Sainsburys did that no-show order-cancelling nonsense to me, too.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 957
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2018, 09:11:59 AM »
I never got into canning, but with my nice US sized freezer back home I always made frozen meals to reheat. Mashed potatoes, chicken & gravy in individual sizes, shepherd's pie, chili, etc. I miss having that! When we own a house I think I may add a larger freezer to the list of things I want.

I can't believe Sainsbury's canceled on you again Nan :( Maybe one of our members moving with a big container can bring you some ball jars!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Liked: 674
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2018, 10:19:26 AM »
Yeah, without the added chemicals and/or sugar!  ;D

I'm turning into such a hippie in my old age. 8)

Oh, I found this in case anyone is curious about why you shouldn't use the wax paper and hot jar method to can food.

https://www.healthycanning.com/unsafe-home-canning-practices/#the-greatest-home-canning-danger-of-all
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 01:57:33 PM by Nan D. »

« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2018, 08:01:27 PM »
I found a supplier on Amazon. Only slightly more expensive than the Sainsburys, and they had very fast free shipping. I now have 12 nice, new 1/2 litre canning jars.  And four of those itty bitty jam jars.  ;D

Today I made more dill pickles, slightly different recipe than the last batch. (Used dill seed instead of dill weed. Does change the flavor, so we'll have to see how it all turns out. And this one was a 2:1 water to vinegar. The last was a 1:1.)  Set all my big pots on the stove, filled with water, and brought them to a simmer early-on in the process, so that cut down the time it took for the big pot to come up to a boil when I had the jars (and that simmering water) added. So I don't think the cukes "cooked" as much waiting for everything to come up to sanitization temperatures. Fingers are crossed, we'll know how good this recipe tastes in about 4 weeks.

Tomorrow I need to put up the chili - made a big crock pot of Texas Red using stew meat, and it's ready to go into the pressure canner. So I should have four half-litre jars of that up on the shelf. (Four nice meals for each of us.) Using the stew meat instead of mince means you can also easily use it in a burrito - it's not runny at all. So tomorrow evening I'll fire the pressure canner up. Would like to do some  of the little jars of roasted garlic, too.  Haven't got a recipe for those so I'll have to be scouring the internet. Wanted to roast it, smash it, and put it in the jars to come out later as a spread. Not sure that can be done, but I do hope so. Maybe just roast and then into the jars in an oil.... Hmmm.

Oh. The tiny little Bird's Eye peppers I grew last year, and had on a string in the "pantry", where they dried very well. The Daughter used two of them in the pickling mix she made up. She washed her hands, dutifully, and thought all would be well. Later she rubbed the inside of her nose a bit and found out she still had some of the chili oil/dust on her finger tips. That was not pretty, poor kiddo! There's only so much you can do to the inside of your nose, without risking sending it further up in there!  So, to answer that question - yes, hot peppers grow very well on sunny windowsills in Scotland.  ;)

« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2018, 08:03:11 PM »
I never got into canning, but with my nice US sized freezer back home I always made frozen meals to reheat. Mashed potatoes, chicken & gravy in individual sizes, shepherd's pie, chili, etc. I miss having that! When we own a house I think I may add a larger freezer to the list of things I want.

I can't believe Sainsbury's canceled on you again Nan :( Maybe one of our members moving with a big container can bring you some ball jars!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Yeah, I really wish I had a proper freezer. They are SO handy - you can buy in bulk when things are on good sale and save them for later. None of this running to the shop every few days and hoping they have something on at a good price. So, note to self: a freezer. And a proper pantry, not just some Ikea shelves stuck next to the fridge.  Next house! :)

• I'm not acting confused, I AM Confused!
  • Liked: 28
« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2018, 11:32:58 PM »
Nan, do you know any resources for beginning canning? Just went through the last of my Harry and Davids sweet pepper and onion dip, would like to make my own now.

« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2018, 05:28:36 AM »
Hi. The Ball Blue Book is my gospel. The Ball Guide to Preserving is a runner-up.

There's a lot of other stuff out on the internet, but I trust them the most. They both have very good sections on food safety, which I would definitely urge you to read if you're going to be canning food.

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2018, 11:42:29 AM »
Kilner jars are the 'go to' here, but really for things like jams and preserves and chutneys.  Sweet pepper and onion dip would fall into chutney, so that should be fine though. However for things like tomatoes, meat, soups, etc,  USA canning techniques are the way to go, but pressure canners are rare and expensive as hell to get here.   :\\\'( :\\\'(
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• I'm not acting confused, I AM Confused!
  • Liked: 28
« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2018, 08:45:16 AM »
thanks for all the info, im really super cautious about canning after watching my mother do it all those years ago back in Maine. Luckily i have a Lakeland nearby in Chsester  ;D

« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2018, 10:09:11 AM »
Lakeland is a good store. Pricey, but good quality and they have excellent customer service and guarantee their products for, I think, three years. They sell actual canning jars (made for heat processing, in either a boiling water bath or a pressure canner) and other jars with screw-on lids. Those other jars should be fine for refrigerator preservation, but all the reading I've done indicates using paraffin paper seals and screw-on tops instead of sanitizing the filled jars by heat processing leaves you at risk of botulism. Not something I'd want to deal with, considering that just a hint of the botulism toxin will land you in ICU! Not worth the risk, in my eyes.

https://food.unl.edu/canning
https://nchfp.uga.edu/questions/FAQ_canning.html

I think that if you didn't fill those non-canning Lakeland jars all the way so that there was room for content expansion you might be able to freeze them. Not really sure, though. If you have freezer space you might try one jar that way to see if it breaks. If not, you could always freeze instead of heat-preserving.

I found Kilner preserving jars (1/2 litre size) at 2 pounds each on Sainsbury's website, but it was almost impossible to get them to deliver any!  I had a grocery order that included 12 and they brought the groceries and 8. I ordered two dozen two other times and they never showed up. The first time they didn't bother to let me know they were not coming. The second time they sent me an email the day after the delivery was supposed to happen that they were not coming!  (So much for shopping at Sainsburys ever again. And I had followed their directions about placing a bulk order, in advance.)   But their price was by far the best price I've found so far.  In the States I could get 12 jars for the equivalent of about  8 pounds, so it stung to pay UK prices  - especially as I'd left dozens completely unused, still-wrapped jars behind when we moved over. :(    Fortunately, I only have to pay that one time, as the jars are completely re-usable. We are going to a hobby shop tomorrow that has the little Ball quilted glass jelly jars at 1/2 of what I paid for some on Amazon, and I'm hoping they have larger jars at as good prices.

Tip - for acidic foods like tomatoes or jams made with high-acid berries, or pretty much anything with a good dose of vinegar in it you can do the heat preservation in a big pot. You just need to be sure that there's a rack in the bottom so that the jars are not in direct contact with the bottom of the pot, and that there's an inch of water over the tops of the jars. You start timing from the start of the boil. I just canned dill pickles and the recipe stated a 15 minute boiling water bath. So they should remain safe indefinitely, although I understand the quality starts to deteriorate after about a year.  Things like meats and veg take much longer and really do need a pressure canner.

I bought white meat chicken from Tesco at about 2 pounds a package (it looks like it came from the wings, but is boneless and decent quality) and am going to be canning it later today. To do that I fry it (with salt and pepper) in my cast-iron pan until it's browned and about 2/3rds of the way done. Then I pack it into jars and pour boiling-hot chicken broth over it until the jar is pretty much full. (You want to leave about an inch of "head space" between the level of the broth and the lid, for expansion.)  Then I'll be processing it in the pressure canner for about one hour fifteen minutes. 

It comes out nice, and when I want to make, say, chicken soup or some other dish that contains chicken I can just pull it off the shelf and add it to what I'm making. (It will be fully cooked by the time the processing is over.) Or I can just microwave it to warm it up and serve it. Saves a lot of time. And it has the added bonus of being available to eat "as is"  if the power goes out for an extended period of time. I have heard that you can add all sorts of other spices to the jars, if you're going to purpose the chicken for use in specific dishes. But I just keep it basically plain. The salt and pepper I put in are not required, and you can use boiling water instead of the broth in there as well. And you don't have to brown the chicken - it just needs to be cooked about 2/3rds of the way before adding it to the jars, so if you wanted to boil/bake/steam it without browning it you certainly could. And if you're going to use a hot water bath or a pressure canner, it is not necessary to sterilize the jars ahead of time. They should be sparkling clean, but the processing temps are high enough to kill any bacteria, fungus, or mold spores that might be on them beforehand.

Oh, and if you go the Kilner route, check the lids. I have had three lids out of twelve where the sealant around the lid was not evenly applied, and it interfered with proper sealing of the jar after it came out of the kettle. If you can get "Ball" lids, they seem to be of better quality. I brought over quite a few of the generic Walmart ones and they also seem a bit better - I've never had a problem with them sealing up. Have not checked ASDA to see if they carry anything like that - but am hopeful, as they are owned by Walmart. (I think.)

Trivia:  you may see reference to canning jars as "Mason" jars. That's not the name of a company, it's a method of creating the glass. It's sturdier than regular bottle glass, to withstand the heat and pressure in a canner. So Ball and Kerr jars (in the USA) are Mason jars. I'm assuming that Kilner jars probably are, as they are a thicker glass. I'm not sure about the Leifheit (I think so), or Weck (no idea).
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 10:58:06 AM by Nan D. »

« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2018, 10:52:23 AM »
Kilner jars are the 'go to' here, but really for things like jams and preserves and chutneys.  Sweet pepper and onion dip would fall into chutney, so that should be fine though. However for things like tomatoes, meat, soups, etc,  USA canning techniques are the way to go, but pressure canners are rare and expensive as hell to get here.   :\\\'( :\\\'(

Ain't that the truth!  It's amazing the prices for them!  Kind of eye-watering. The Daughter got my little basic canner from Walmart for probably around $60 - $75 . Even just the big ceramic-lined pots (for hot-water canning) are obscenely expensive here. What's with that?

If you're going to buy one, be aware that a pressure-cooker is not the same thing as a pressure-canner.You can use a pressure canner as a pressure cooker, but not the other-way 'round. And you want one that will hold at least 4 US quart jars. Not sure what that equates to in UK measure/total volume.  The one I have is the Presto 16-Quart Pressure Canner and Cooker 01745 and it serves me just fine. If I had a big garden and wanted to be able to do more than, say, six half-litre jars at a time I might go for something larger, but for us right now that would be overkill.  Some useful info is at the following link, as well.  https://www.healthycanning.com/pressure-canner-size-matter
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 10:58:26 AM by Nan D. »

• Liked: 537
« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2018, 12:22:39 PM »
Have not checked ASDA to see if they carry anything like that - but am hopeful, as they are owned by Walmart. (I think.)

They recently sold to Sainsbury's... Or one of the other big UK stores.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2018, 10:40:42 PM »
Well, we have never been in one, so we won't know the difference!  ;D

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab