Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Not filed in years! How much trouble have I brought on myself?  (Read 1120 times)

• Liked: 0
Hi. I am a born in the US citizen who married my lovely English husband in January 2009 and moved over to the UK permanently in May 2009. I had time to file for the 2008 year via the accounting office that sorted them every year prior to that for me. I was basically a child - entirely dependant on my parents still while living in the US, I don't own anything back home I don't even have any bank accounts still open back home. 

To my shame, I haven't filed anything since I moved over, and Facebook of all things, is scaring me into a belief that if I don't sort this out my next passport will be refused/not renewed. Which needs to happen in about 6 months.

I don't know where to start! I have been on the IRS website but so far the jargon is far too technical for me. I was going around in circles.  I think I looked into it once years ago and have been under the impression that since my income is below a certain figure that I wouldn't owe anything... I don't know what or why.

Besides the IRS website is there any place with plainer language which can guide me through whatever I have to do to rectify this situation?

Thanks in advance,
B

Sent from my S2_PRO using Tapatalk

• Liked: 102
Re: Not filed in years! How much trouble have I brought on myself?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2018, 08:48:05 AM »
My main tip is to remain calm as you explore your next steps. Your issues are quite common. It is worth mentioning if you might like professional advice that there are several excellent dually US/UK qualified tax advisers in the UK who would be glad to help.

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2018, 10:31:23 AM »
Can you or anyone recommend one in the Greater Manchester area, more specifically Bolton as travel is an issue for me?

Thanks

• Liked: 111
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2018, 10:52:19 AM »
Don't panic because of what you've read on social media. A passport application does require an SSN, but at this time there is no evidence the information is shared with the IRS for the purposes of denying a passport. There has been a recent law passed which does allow the IRS to prevent a passport to be issued due to deficiencies exceeding $50,000, but it requires significant communication from the IRS to the State Department and the individual along with specific steps to be taken first.

• Liked: 8
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2018, 12:30:29 PM »
Hi. I am a born in the US citizen who married my lovely English husband in January 2009 and moved over to the UK permanently in May 2009. I had time to file for the 2008 year via the accounting office that sorted them every year prior to that for me. I was basically a child - entirely dependant on my parents still while living in the US, I don't own anything back home I don't even have any bank accounts still open back home. 

To my shame, I haven't filed anything since I moved over, and Facebook of all things, is scaring me into a belief that if I don't sort this out my next passport will be refused/not renewed. Which needs to happen in about 6 months.

I don't know where to start! I have been on the IRS website but so far the jargon is far too technical for me. I was going around in circles.  I think I looked into it once years ago and have been under the impression that since my income is below a certain figure that I wouldn't owe anything... I don't know what or why.

Besides the IRS website is there any place with plainer language which can guide me through whatever I have to do to rectify this situation?

Thanks in advance,
B

You should start by exploring the "Streamlined" procedures. In effect, this is an IRS amnesty program. Your issue may be whether you are able to declare that your failure to file is/was "Non-willful".
https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/u-s-taxpayers-residing-outside-the-united-states

I agree with others that there will be no effect on passport renewal. I believe I read recently that the IRS has just begun referring the most seriously delinquent to the State Department but, even then, it is only after a series of warning notifications to the taxpayer.
https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/revocation-or-denial-of-passport-in-case-of-certain-unpaid-taxes

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2018, 03:40:38 PM »

Thanks in advance,
B

Just to help maybe ease your mind a bit, I got behind too on my filing but I applied for a new passport this year and didn't have any issues (received the passport without anything flagging up as far as I'm aware). It's definitely good you want to get on top of it but don't worry if you have to renew your passport beforehand as there shouldn't be any problems based on my experience.
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2018, 06:42:31 PM »
Goodness me I've just received a quote for approximately £3,000-£4,000 for professional help from a recommended London firm? No way is that affordable for me.  I'm going to have to find a way to fix this on my own. with nerves and anxiety now.
My main tip is to remain calm as you explore your next steps. Your issues are quite common. It is worth mentioning if you might like professional advice that there are several excellent dually US/UK qualified tax advisers in the UK who would be glad to help.

• Liked: 718
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2018, 09:35:25 PM »
Goodness me I've just received a quote for approximately £3,000-£4,000 for professional help from a recommended London firm? No way is that affordable for me.  I'm going to have to find a way to fix this on my own. with nerves and anxiety now.

I haven’t used them but have joined 2 of their webinars. They offer paid advice as well as tax filing, all done online.

https://www.greenbacktaxservices.com/customer-reviews/

Another review of them and others here
https://www.taxsamaritan.com/best-online-expat-tax-professional-firms-tax-samaritan/

Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2018, 07:09:05 AM »
Greenback are based in Hong Kong, China. The owner lives in Indonesia. They do not have a physical office but outsource the preparation to preparers globally who work from home. This is how they remain a low cost operation.  Having your data in various countries and preparers homes may or may or may not suit your needs for someone here in the UK.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 07:13:16 AM by guya »

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2018, 07:09:51 AM »
Golden Rules for choosing a tax preparer :
1. QUALIFICATIONS
Do not be shy! Ask if they are members of professional bodies in both the US and UK and if so, which ones and for how long.
2. COST
Ask what they charge!
3. COMFORT
Pick one who is dually US/UK qualified (so you know that the tax preparer is regulated in both the US and the UK) and who you feel you can get on with. This is a personal choice so call a few firms before deciding...

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2018, 08:58:43 AM »

UGH that is awful :( Happy to help you work through it as well if I can so I can get off sh*t's creek too... Just been delaying dealing with it...
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

Sponsored Links