Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: MacBook Charger - buy a UK version, or use a converter?  (Read 3843 times)

• Liked: 85
MacBook Charger - buy a UK version, or use a converter?
« on: July 20, 2018, 07:22:03 PM »
Hi! For anyone who has brought a laptop (esp. a MacBook) to the UK - did you buy a new charger or just use a converter? When I've brought my computer before, I've used my converter with no problems but I'm not sure if it's safe as a long term solution.

TIA :)
FLR(M) Timeline:
Application type: Spouse settlement visa extension (super priority)
BRP expiration: Late May 2021
Online application submitted: April 14, 2021
Biometrics appointment: April 25, 2021
Decision made: April 26, 2021 - emailed at 1:40 pm

• Liked: 957
Re: MacBook Charger - buy a UK version, or use a converter?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2018, 07:26:39 PM »
I've always just used the plug adapter because the chargers are now made to adapt on their own. :)

• Liked: 537
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2018, 10:38:36 PM »
Hi! For anyone who has brought a laptop (esp. a MacBook) to the UK - did you buy a new charger or just use a converter? When I've brought my computer before, I've used my converter with no problems but I'm not sure if it's safe as a long term solution.

I've used my 2010 MacBook Pro with a plug in converter for the last 4 years. It's still going, but I bought a new laptop recently since it was getting slow.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 63
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2018, 10:31:22 AM »
I vote for the pug adapter - simple and does the job.
Married December 1992 (my 'old flame' whom I first met in the mid-70s)
1st move to UK - 1993 (Letter of Consent granted at British Embassy in Washington DC)
ILR - 1994 (1 year later - no fee way back then!)
Back to US in 2000
Returned to UK July 2011 (Spousal Visa/KOL endorsement)
ILR - September 2011
Application for naturalization submitted July 2014
Approval received 15-10-14; ceremony scheduled for 10 November!
Passport arrived 25 November 2014. Finally done!

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2018, 08:21:27 AM »
I did both. I had a macbook from 2007 that I used for years with a plug adaptor. Except it was one of those old style magnetic ones and the cord frayed and the magnetic bit broke off. So I bought a new UK specific charger and that was good.  I bought a new macbook a few years ago , so it's irrelevant now.   
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2018, 09:26:14 AM »
I did both. I had a macbook from 2007 that I used for years with a plug adaptor. Except it was one of those old style magnetic ones and the cord frayed and the magnetic bit broke off. So I bought a new UK specific charger and that was good.  I bought a new macbook a few years ago , so it's irrelevant now.

This is exactly the same (except for the years) as  my husband's situation with his MacBook!  :)

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2018, 09:30:57 AM »
Same here... I bought my first Macbook in the US in 2012 (I live in the UK but it was a lot cheaper to buy it in the US) and just used it with a plug adapter until I bought a new one in the UK in 2016.

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2018, 10:55:31 AM »

Not a Macbook but I did bring a laptop here initially and used a UK cable for it as it was just easier. I still had my US plug but my husband had a laptop who's charger fit and eventually it was just easier to buy a cheap universal charger that I could use for my work laptop when WFH as well and it was just easier. If you go back to the US on a regular basis, it might make it easier to leave a charger there to use so all you have to do is bring the laptop if you're wanting to. I did a similar thing with my toothbrush charger (got it in the US, got a UK charger cable, left the US cable at my mum's for when I visit).

I know Macbook cables can be expensive but perhaps you could find one second hand?
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 718
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2018, 09:39:22 PM »
My wife and I have MacBooks and simply use an adapter with no problems. When I traveled to the UK and Europe a lot on business I, and all my colleagues,  used adapters. Modern laptops, Apple and others, have power supplies that are designed to work on dual voltage and the differing frequencies (50-60 Hz)
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 24
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2018, 12:11:16 AM »
Years before I met my husband I bought the Apple World Travel Adapter Kit (circa 2006) to be able to travel with my PowerBook. As I've upgraded, these have lasted very well. Simply switch the plug at the USB on the laptop white power adapter. I have a Macbook Pro 2010 and from 2015 and on one of them  still use the UK plug from the original 2006 kit. Latest version is here: https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/product/MD837ZM/A/apple-world-travel-adapter-kit

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab