Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Beef Jerky  (Read 938 times)

• Liked: 676
Beef Jerky
« on: July 22, 2018, 06:20:06 PM »
Ok, the new dehydrator arrived yesterday (a week early, I'm impressed!). I put some marinade (equal parts soy sauce and worchestershire sauce, a dash of liquid mesquite smoke, some garlic salt, and black pepper) on some thin steaks I got at Tesco. A few hours later I sliced them into strips and put them in the dehydrator - it's still doing the job but they are looking enough like jerky that we gave it a taste test.

WINNER! OMG, I am SO happy to have jerky again. No carb, highprotein, not many calories satisfaction.  ;D

• Liked: 6110
Re: Beef Jerky
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2018, 06:40:17 PM »
Ok, the new dehydrator arrived yesterday (a week early, I'm impressed!). I put some marinade (equal parts soy sauce and worchestershire sauce, a dash of liquid mesquite smoke, some garlic salt, and black pepper) on some thin steaks I got at Tesco. A few hours later I sliced them into strips and put them in the dehydrator - it's still doing the job but they are looking enough like jerky that we gave it a taste test.

WINNER! OMG, I am SO happy to have jerky again. No carb, highprotein, not many calories satisfaction.  ;D

This I'm going to have to try!  ;D Which dehydrator did you go for and which cut did you use Nan?

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2018, 07:27:45 PM »
https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/292292166 

Be sure to get any fat off of it, if you can, before you put it on to dry, and be sure that you don't put the pieces so close that the air can't circulate well. I also sprinkled it heavily with black pepper before putting it on to dehydrate. If I was thinking it was going to be around for any length of time I'd have put a little sugar in the marinade (as a preservative), but I think it'll be eaten before it has a chance to go bad. ;)  At "home" it was common to add some crushed red pepper flakes to the marinade, but I never cared for that, myself.

I spent more than I meant to on the dehydrator, but it comes with a 2 year warranty and many good reviews away from Amazon. We made dehydrated apple rings on it before putting the jerky on, and it worked perfectly.  ;D    I've now got dehydrated apple rings sealed in an old pickle jar (with a small sachet of rice to absorb any extra moisture). I save glass jars and the lids, and scrape the labels off - great for storing spices and other items I get in bulk, or, now, preserve via the dehydrator.

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2018, 07:32:44 PM »
https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/292292166 

Be sure to get any fat off of it, if you can, before you put it on to dry, and be sure that you don't put the pieces so close that the air can't circulate well. I also sprinkled it heavily with black pepper before putting it on to dehydrate. If I was thinking it was going to be around for any length of time I'd have put a little sugar in the marinade (as a preservative), but I think it'll be eaten before it has a chance to go bad. ;)  At "home" it was common to add some crushed red pepper flakes to the marinade, but I never cared for that, myself.

I spent more than I meant to on the dehydrator, but it comes with a 2 year warranty and many good reviews away from Amazon. We made dehydrated apple rings on it before putting the jerky on, and it worked perfectly.  ;D    I've now got dehydrated apple rings sealed in an old pickle jar (with a small sachet of rice to absorb any extra moisture). I save glass jars and the lids, and scrape the labels off - great for storing spices and other items I get in bulk, or, now, preserve via the dehydrator.

Thanks Nan!

That puppy'll pay for itself in no time flat!   ;D

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2018, 07:44:46 PM »
Yeah, really! With the cost of jerky - if you can find any that's decent! - it'll pay off VERY quickly.

I used to get beef from Campbell's delivery butcher and I remember they had a sale once on some beef that would have worked really well for jerky, but I don't see it on their website now and don't use them anymore. (Too many goofed up orders.)  The beef doesn't have to be of the highest quality, but you do want it to be sliced thin and have as little marbling or fat on it as you can get. (Otherwise it'll go bad faster.)

The Daughter is watching her carbs, so this is a great snack to have in the cookie jar instead of cookies.

• Liked: 537
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2018, 10:52:55 PM »

Nan... I would pay you for some of that. i love jerky but can't afford a dehydrator at the moment. Nowhere to store it either since I would only use it for jerky... haha
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2018, 09:52:13 AM »
When the weather gets cooler, send me your address and I'll send you a baggie in the mail. ;)
(Afraid to send it in hot weather. No telling what it would look like on arrival!)

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2018, 11:25:45 AM »
Thanks Nan!

That puppy'll pay for itself in no time flat!   ;D

Given the price of beef jerky in the UK, and the often disappointing flavour, this is officially in my future.  I can't do it now, but When I Have a Kitchen™, I'm buying a food dehydrator and making beef jerky!
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 768
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2018, 12:43:32 PM »
What about the thin sliced beef sold at the Asian markets? It's usually in the freezer section used for pho and various other soups.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2018, 02:21:46 PM »
What about the thin sliced beef sold at the Asian markets? It's usually in the freezer section used for pho and various other soups.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Didn't know it existed! Sounds like it's time for an expedition to Dobby's Loan later this week, finally!  As long as it's at least 1/4 inch thick, and didn't have much in the way of fat in/on it, it seems like it might work.

• Liked: 49
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2018, 03:34:19 PM »

Good job! Think I may need one in my life!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2018, 04:13:06 PM »
It came out really, really well.  ;D

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab