Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Rental property in US  (Read 566 times)

• Liked: 29
Rental property in US
« on: July 24, 2018, 06:09:43 PM »
Hi everyone...again, thank you so much for all the help you’ve been so far! I was curious to ask about a situation we have if we decide to relocate to England.

We own a few homes here in the states our primary and my mothers we would sell in order to have a large deposit for a home in England. The third home we own is a beach house in Galveston that we frequent and also rent out on air bnb. My husband is a dual citizen, but I am not. The home is in both our names. How negatively will this affect our taxing? Is it a terrible idea to plan to keep the place as a rental property if we decide to move? Is there a better way to handle the tax situation? (We don’t make a ton of money on it, but it does pay for itself)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 102
Re: Rental property in US
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2018, 06:22:05 AM »
You already have exposure to UK inheritance tax if your husband is domiciled within the United Kingdom. A sale of any of these properties could result in a tax liability. You'll want to calculate this so that you know what is left to spend.

• Liked: 29
Re: Rental property in US
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2018, 03:03:19 PM »
So if we sell the home my mom currently lives in now and then ours within the next year or when we decide to move would we still have to pay taxes in the U.K. on the profit? I guess I’m a little confused why we would have to pay taxes on anything that we’ve sold prior to moving especially since we’ve never lived there/worked there or paid taxes there. That’s a separate question I suppose from the situation with the beach house....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links