Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Things that keep me up late at night  (Read 1731 times)

• Liked: 674
Re: Things that keep me up late at night
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2018, 12:23:45 PM »
True.

I often wonder, how secure is my pension and how secure is my SS?  I think they are more secure than a job would have been, really. And it would have to get really, really bad before they took a hit. Which I don't see (or don't want to see). It would be a couple of years, minimum, before the Cal. State pension had any impact. Social Security... who the hell knows. Same, I assume.  My 403B lost money the first quarter, but has pulled into the positive (barely) for the second. Hmmm. I've got it heavier in bonds than stocks, for the long term. That's going to be the Daughter's inheritance.  Otherwise, I think it's a good time to be saving. I'm just not sure if I should spread it around among dollars, Euros, and pounds, or keep it primarily in dollars. Which I think are going to be stronger than pounds for the next couple of years. I can't get a feel for Euros.

Then again, I could step off a curb whilst on my way to the shop some afternoon and be splatted by an Irn Bru truck, and all bets are then off.  8)

Three-day supply chain. That boggles the mind. Lovely fresh food, but goodness!

Well, having learned from the near riot I watched in Waitrose the first nice day after three days of snow, when people could finally get out, I believe I'll have some powdered milk in the pantry. It works for tea and coffee just fine.  I'll have my fresh greens growing in my little hydroponic setup, albeit not in the quantities I'd like. There will be beef and  chicken preserved in jars, and jerky. A couple of week's worth of veg, the same. And the ability to bake bread for a good couple of months, as needed. Just so I don't have to go get elbowed in the dairy and the bread section at Waitrose by pinched-face people who look as if they see the End-of-Times approaching. ;)  Aside from the powdered milk, I like to keep a month or two's staples on hand anyway. Things happen, sometimes, and it's better to have them and not need them, then to need them and not have them.  8) 

Having lived places where I've been snowed in for a week and lost power, I also have several emergency cans of tuna, peanutbutter, and crackers.  Not ideal, but they'll hold one over in a power failure situation. (Apparently those sort of power failures only very rarely happen here, but old habits die hard.) 

I still would be more comfortable about things if I lived in a village somewhere that I had some land to have a garden. But that applies no matter what the rest of the world does. I just like being able to go pick fresh veg, and miss my old garden in Calif.

I would imagine the chaos would last maybe a month, with shortages and high prices, unless the government freezes prices. Then supplies will trickle in from elsewhere, with the associated higher costs.  People are going to whine like mad about it, too.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 04:28:46 PM by Nan D. »

• Liked: 29
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2018, 02:40:39 PM »
Annnnnnndddddd this thread makes me freak out a little inside

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 533
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2018, 02:42:05 PM »
I wonder about interest rates. Some say that sub one percent primes are the new normal. And it seems to be. But how can that be?
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 718
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2018, 03:45:38 PM »
Oh. Look. Nazis. Add them to the list.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-45075895

Worse than Nazis, one of them was even wearing a Trump mask :o
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2018, 04:19:11 PM »
That's a scary thought.

Also a thought. Publicity Stunt. But how would you tell the difference, anymore?

« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2018, 05:02:46 PM »
That's a scary thought.

Also a thought. Publicity Stunt. But how would you tell the difference, anymore?

Exactly, I was shocked that 63 million folks voted for what I thought was the biggest publicity stunt in US presidential history.

« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2018, 05:44:38 PM »
Exactly, I was shocked that 63 million folks voted for what I thought was the biggest publicity stunt in US presidential history.

Yeah, I thought it was, too.

I do remember reading (and this could be pure propaganda BS) that some friend of Trump's said he was really furious to have won - he didn't intend to.  I'll always wonder, now, if that was true or not. 8)

« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2018, 06:58:42 PM »

I do remember reading (and this could be pure propaganda BS) that some friend of Trump's said he was really furious to have won - he didn't intend to.  I'll always wonder, now, if that was true or not. 8)

I believe Michael Wolff claimed this in his book Fire and Fury.

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2018, 10:57:26 PM »
I believe Michael Wolff claimed this in his book Fire and Fury.

Yep, the argument goes that Trump expected to lose and start a new right wing media network and spend his days moaning about how the election was fixed. 

He was appalled to actually win and have to work hard for 4 years and have his dodgy past drug up.  Melania was furious that she could not lunch with friends any more.

I think it's pretty credible judging by his body language after the win.

« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2018, 10:33:10 AM »
What's really bothering me is that I can't tell if this is real or if this is propaganda!!  It's plausible enough to be true!~

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2018, 11:33:05 AM »
I wonder about interest rates. Some say that sub one percent primes are the new normal. And it seems to be. But how can that be?

When the crash in 2008 happened, the banks made a deal with the government to swallow the burden of the crisis over the next two decades.  This helped prevent the country from completely spiraling out of control, like the depression and war times.  The max that interest rates will rise over the next 10 years is to 3%.  And they will likely be very tiny increases and may not even get to 3%.

« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2018, 01:19:49 PM »
Off topic - but if you have a Reddit account, I've just gotten an email that they've been hacked.

The first database included early Reddit user data, from the site’s launch in 2005 through May 2007. User info that was accessed by intruders includes usernames, passwords, email addresses and all content, including postings and private messages, from that period.

The second database accessed by hackers contained all the logs for the email digests sent out by Reddit between June 3-17, 2018. User info in that database includes email addresses, usernames and the names of any safe-for-work subreddits users are subscribed to.

In case it applies to you.... :(

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab