Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Bank account blocked/SSNs permanently flagged as fraud risk  (Read 1305 times)

• US citizen & UK citizen partner of 12 yrs
    • Portable Weirdness
  • Liked: 60
Bank account blocked/SSNs permanently flagged as fraud risk
« on: August 07, 2018, 07:12:49 PM »
Well, this is fun.

Department of backstory (hands around popcorn):

We made arrangements before we left with our branch managers for the trip; they've known we were going to move in two stages for a year. We went through stopovers in Toronto and Iceland and spent the first two weeks here without problems, then our account and credit card came up blocked for "suspicious activity". One of the managers had to contact fraud prevention and was told it would be  taken off and noted that we were legitimately out of the country. We got cash out to keep on hand in case it happened again. Miles had a job waiting for him to get a local bank account for direct deposit, so we kept working on getting an address for the bank.

Then we tried to transfer the money for a deposit and rent on a flat, with the all the correct routing info, and that got blocked at the US end. Then our account and card were blocked again. Our manager got me on conference call with fraud prevention and we were told that my and Miles' SSNs had been permanently red flagged as suspicious fraud risks, and they instructed the manager that that was a Federal security algorithm and could not be overridden even if the bank had reliable information otherwise, and this was going to keep happening as long as we were far enough from our previous zip code to "look suspicious", and we weren't allowed to change the primary contact information for the account that defines where we're allowed to use it even though our file had our UK address and phone numbers in it. That's the worst I've ever heard the guy swear in the three years I've known him.

He worked it out with admin that we might be better off just closing the account and doing a check, even if that would take a long time and I'd have to be in the branch in person to do it, because if our SSNs are the trigger any account we open will likely have the same problem. They knew I was going to fly back over to get the dogs and cats as soon as we had a regular place to stay other than his cousins', so I borrowed the cash for a ticket, went back early, sent some money via a friend's Paypal, and did the paperwork for a check for our savings account, with the account to close once the check cleared.

Got the animals and me back over, deposited the check with RBS, marked the calendar to check in with them if it hadn't gone through in four weeks as instructed, with the understanding that it could take longer. Six weeks went by, and we got the check back in the mail with approvals stamped on it and then "endorsement cancelled"stamped through them, with a letter from RBS and Cross Border Cheques that the check had been refused at the US end. Called them, they can't get any information about why it was refused. Called my US branch manager; they haven't been given any information on the refusal or why the money has not reverted to the account. They're going to email me with a time to call tomorrow.
Haven't seen anyone else run into this on here, but haven't had a good chance to read back much yet. If there's a similar thread, is anyone game to point me at it? Thanx muchly (salutes)

"Human" is a noun. "Black", "White", "Asian", "Latino", "Indigenous", "Male", "Female", "GLBT", "Straight", "Christian", "Jewish", "Muslim", "Buddhist", "Hindu", "Pagan", "Conservative", "Liberal", are all adjectives.

• Liked: 6110
Re: Bank account blocked/SSNs permanently flagged as fraud risk
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2018, 07:59:16 PM »
That sounds like an absolute nightmare. I really hope you manage to get it sorted.

• Portable Weirdness
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2018, 08:40:02 PM »
That sounds like an absolute nightmare. I really hope you manage to get it sorted.

If there's a made for TV movie I want Tracey Ullman to play me  ;0)
"Human" is a noun. "Black", "White", "Asian", "Latino", "Indigenous", "Male", "Female", "GLBT", "Straight", "Christian", "Jewish", "Muslim", "Buddhist", "Hindu", "Pagan", "Conservative", "Liberal", are all adjectives.

• Liked: 957
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2018, 02:01:55 PM »
You may want to contact your state representative for help... This is insane :(

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Portable Weirdness
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2018, 09:34:18 AM »
You may want to contact your state representative for help... This is insane :(

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
That's much politer than how I've been describing it!  ;0)

My bank manager tagged me last night that he's got a phone appointment to speak with the department at BoA that handles all international transactions for banks that don't have overseas relationships, so knock wood that'll get me some traction. My NC rep is Richard Hudson; unless he's changed radically from any other times I've dealt with him, he's not worth much unless you look enough like a nationalist, protectionist NeoCon. Burr and Tillis ain't much better. If I can't get any other forward movement I will anyway, but if I mostly get a "you should be grateful that your government is doing so much to protect Americans from terrorists instead of being taken in by Teh Liberal Propaganda" like we did on the travel ban and other messes, it won't shock me.

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2018, 12:10:02 PM »
My NC rep is Richard Hudson; unless he's changed radically from any other times I've dealt with him, he's not worth much unless you look enough like a nationalist, protectionist NeoCon. Burr and Tillis ain't much better.

Their offices are staffed with caseworkers who do the real legwork.  Contact your representative's office, even if your rep is useless.  The caseworkers work on behalf of the office, so they have the authority of the office to find answers and get stuff done.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Portable Weirdness
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2018, 10:33:02 PM »
Their offices are staffed with caseworkers who do the real legwork.  Contact your representative's office, even if your rep is useless.  The caseworkers work on behalf of the office, so they have the authority of the office to find answers and get stuff done.

Did that last week, haven't heard back. Am giving it till Friday and trying again. Branch managers still can't get anywhere. I was able to talk to our MP's office and let them know I had a freaky problem; they've made some suggestions. I tagged Medivisas to ask what they thought of their suggestions for back up, still waiting to hear back on that but it's not been long.

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2018, 11:21:21 AM »
Did that last week, haven't heard back. Am giving it till Friday and trying again. Branch managers still can't get anywhere. I was able to talk to our MP's office and let them know I had a freaky problem; they've made some suggestions. I tagged Medivisas to ask what they thought of their suggestions for back up, still waiting to hear back on that but it's not been long.

Do you know what triggered this in the first place?  Was it really the initial international travel/transactions?  I mean... you warned them first.  And loads of people travel around and spend/move money.  I don't understand how you got on a list, and say, one of us moving large sums over for a house deposit, didn't?
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Portable Weirdness
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2018, 05:15:57 PM »
Do you know what triggered this in the first place?  Was it really the initial international travel/transactions?  I mean... you warned them first.  And loads of people travel around and spend/move money.  I don't understand how you got on a list, and say, one of us moving large sums over for a house deposit, didn't?

Eh, loads of people also apply for visas and that doesn't always work like it's supposed to on paper either. If it did, this forum would be less active.

If I or my bank understood how we got on a list, I'd possibly have a way to do something besides whinge on here about it. Neither of us have a criminal record, neither of us had any overseas bank accounts or businesses until we got over here, and the bank account is in the UK citizen's name. So far we've spent (or tried to spend) money on AirBnBs and hotel rooms, food and stuff like that, bus and train tickets, a 2002 Nissan Micra, insurance for that, rent, internet service, council tax, the gas bill, some house stuff like towels and a mattress, a palm sander, a rotary tool flex shaft, and some rocks at a gem and jewelry show. The accounts had UK contact info for relatives and then us as soon as we had any. I found it kinda interesting that the MP's office didn't seem excessively surprised by it.

Sponsored Links