Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Birth Control in the UK  (Read 7907 times)

• Liked: 537
Re: Birth Control in the UK
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2018, 10:18:37 PM »
Oh, I was a 21 year old virgin, and hadn't ever been on the pill either. I didn't have bad acne and I wasn't sexually active so didn't see the point.

I did condoms and then when in a serious relationship at 28 (with my now husband) I tried the pill for the first time. It gave me terrible headaches, made my slight grumpiness before my period erupt into full on PMS and gave me acne and weight gain. To say my body hated the pill is an understatement.

Mirena was awesome. I wasn't terribly keen on the placement procedure, but to not have the horrible pill side effects or need to remember to take the dang things every day was a god send.

Yes, there have been some issues with IUDs and other long term birth controls, but there are also risks with the pill. Everything medical has risks. It's deciding which ones you're willing to take.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 250
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2018, 10:25:03 PM »
Oh, I was a 21 year old virgin, and hadn't ever been on the pill either. I didn't have bad acne and I wasn't sexually active so didn't see the point.

I did condoms and then when in a serious relationship at 28 (with my now husband) I tried the pill for the first time. It gave me terrible headaches, made my slight grumpiness before my period erupt into full on PMS and gave me acne and weight gain. To say my body hated the pill is an understatement.

Mirena was awesome. I wasn't terribly keen on the placement procedure, but to not have the horrible pill side effects or need to remember to take the dang things every day was a god send.

Yes, there have been some issues with IUDs and other long term birth controls, but there are also risks with the pill. Everything medical has risks. It's deciding which ones you're willing to take.

I kind of wish I'd looked into it years ago...but like you I didn't see the point. I made it clear to my husband that I wasn't interested in sex until marriage. He was totally ok with that and then we moved on from it. It never really came up again until I was like "oh sh*t I'm getting married....I can do the sex now" lol!

No, in all seriousness, it's just so complicated and there are so many options. I have absolutely no idea how my body would react. And my periods are so regular by themselves. I hate the idea of disrupting my natural cycle, but I hate the idea of getting pregnant even more.
Married: 14 June 2018
FLR #1: 9 August 2018 (Approved!)
FLR #2: 13 July 2021 (Approved!)

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2018, 10:25:43 PM »
Eeek! It's so complicated. I just don't want babies! Damn being a woman!!

They really need to get on that birth control pill for men. Wasn't it in the clinical trial stages a few years ago?

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/20/health/male-birth-control-pill-study/index.html

Wasn't there also a poll asking men if they'd take a pill to prevent pregnancy and most said no?
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2018, 10:30:51 PM »
They really need to get on that birth control pill for men. Wasn't it in the clinical trial stages a few years ago?

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/20/health/male-birth-control-pill-study/index.html

Wasn't there also a poll asking men if they'd take a pill to prevent pregnancy and most said no?

ugh, men lol

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2018, 10:32:51 PM »
I kind of wish I'd looked into it years ago...but like you I didn't see the point. I made it clear to my husband that I wasn't interested in sex until marriage. He was totally ok with that and then we moved on from it. It never really came up again until I was like "oh sh*t I'm getting married....I can do the sex now" lol!

No, in all seriousness, it's just so complicated and there are so many options. I have absolutely no idea how my body would react. And my periods are so regular by themselves. I hate the idea of disrupting my natural cycle, but I hate the idea of getting pregnant even more.

I had a regular, low flow period, with one or two days of cramps. I didn't want to mess with it either so I never started a pill regime. I feel you.

But being in a long term relationship and moving to the UK to be with my Fiance meant making a decision on birth control. We absolutely do not want kiddos. He is going to get the snip at some point, but he needs to be well enough to handle it. (he has Crohn's and one other major health issue).

• Liked: 768
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2018, 10:38:15 PM »
I have the copper coil (Paragard) and it's good for 10 years. I've not had any problems and I actually forget that I even have it. It's just not a worry.

I've been on bc pills in the past and they turned me into a monster. I was a horrible, horrible raging monster. I could feel myself snap and I would be screaming in anger the whole time thinking to myself, "Why am I like this? This is a huge overreaction". But I couldn't stop myself.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2018, 11:03:29 PM »

They would have been willing to do a copper coil, but didn't suggest it as I hadn't had a baby and my uterus wouldn't have stretched and it could give me really bad cramps and have a painful settling in period. The copper coil is good for 10 years.

This is an awesome comic that readily explains birth control options in plain English and with illustrations so you can see the various implants.
https://www.ohjoysextoy.com/tag/birth-control/

Oh crap...sorry. I forgot all the BC comics aren't safe for work... The implant one was the one that sticks in my mind and ita just fine. *Facepalm* the others may be a bit too risque.

• Liked: 113
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2018, 12:00:36 AM »
TeamTollie, why is your husband not considering vasectomy? Since you both don’t want any children. I hate that it’s us women worrying about these things majority of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
#1 NON-PRIORITY UNMARRIED PARTNER
Living together since Nov 2014, son born on Mar 2016
Decision: Refusal (70 BD)
#2 PRIORITY SPOUSE
Online Application: 18 Mar 2018
Decision Made Email: 03 May 2018
Received Passport: 07 May 2018 (APPROVED)
Entered UK: 10 May 2018
#3 NON-PRIORITY FLR(M)
Online Application: 6 Jan 2021
UKVCAS Biometric Appointment: 2 Feb 2021
Decision Made Email: 22 Mar 2021 (APPROVED)

« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2018, 02:17:33 AM »
TeamTollie, why is your husband not considering vasectomy? Since you both don’t want any children. I hate that it’s us women worrying about these things majority of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We've talked about it, but I fully understand that it's his body-his choice. I don't think he's keen on the idea, merely because while we both don't want children, I'm more adamant about it. This is a morbid scenario, but let's say something happened to me and I didn't make it and he ends up re-marrying someone who wants children. Unlikely...as he's expressed that he does't want children either. But as I said before, if I did get pregnant I would be mortified and miserable but I think he'd say, "well it's happened" I don't think it's as big of a deal to him. He's okay with or without a family. He's made it clear that he wants to be with me and doesn't really want anything else. I honestly think the idea scares him or makes him uncomfortable. I get it-it's a surgery and it's a huge deal to his reproductive organs. As far as I know, it's irreversible. Maybe the reasoning sounds crazy...I remember the first time we talked about it I felt a little disappointed that he wasn't automatically like "yes I'll do this for you" but the key word in there is for you. If he doesn't want to do it for him too, then I won't push it. We'll just have to use protection and be careful. He's said that once we've been married a while and we get older he will probably consider it, but I understand that it's a lot to ask a person. So I'm giving him time to process. It would certainly make our worries less, but I also don't want to pressure him into it.  As much as I do NOT want children, the idea of tying up my tubes is frightening, regardless of how much easier it would make my life! I hope this made sense...In the end I don't mind using birth control/condoms. I just don't want any accidents. But like I said, I don't ever, ever want to pressure him into doing something that major if he's not 100% on board. 
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 02:21:25 AM by TeamTollie »

• Liked: 114
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2018, 06:00:23 AM »
We've talked about it, but I fully understand that it's his body-his choice. I don't think he's keen on the idea, merely because while we both don't want children, I'm more adamant about it. This is a morbid scenario, but let's say something happened to me and I didn't make it and he ends up re-marrying someone who wants children. Unlikely...as he's expressed that he does't want children either. But as I said before, if I did get pregnant I would be mortified and miserable but I think he'd say, "well it's happened" I don't think it's as big of a deal to him. He's okay with or without a family. He's made it clear that he wants to be with me and doesn't really want anything else. I honestly think the idea scares him or makes him uncomfortable. I get it-it's a surgery and it's a huge deal to his reproductive organs. As far as I know, it's irreversible. Maybe the reasoning sounds crazy...I remember the first time we talked about it I felt a little disappointed that he wasn't automatically like "yes I'll do this for you" but the key word in there is for you. If he doesn't want to do it for him too, then I won't push it. We'll just have to use protection and be careful. He's said that once we've been married a while and we get older he will probably consider it, but I understand that it's a lot to ask a person. So I'm giving him time to process. It would certainly make our worries less, but I also don't want to pressure him into it.  As much as I do NOT want children, the idea of tying up my tubes is frightening, regardless of how much easier it would make my life! I hope this made sense...In the end I don't mind using birth control/condoms. I just don't want any accidents. But like I said, I don't ever, ever want to pressure him into doing something that major if he's not 100% on board.
Good on you - that's a super reasonable way of thinking.  You can't force anyone else to do anything to their bodies if they're not 100% in agreement, and there are always other options on the table.

I kinda let myself get talked into Nexplanon (I was on the pill when I moved to the UK) rather than making the choice 100% for myself.  It was something we'd discussed a few times but I didn't really want to go through the procedure - not a massive fan of needles and whatnot.

That said, I wouldn't have it any other way. Nexplanon has been an absolute dream.  The first couple of weeks were a bit rough - headaches every day, but they eventually subsided.  The biggest perk has probably been my periods, though. I used to have the WORST, HEAVIEST, CRAMPIEST periods that would last for a week at a time. Now they are practically nonexistent (but still there for peace of mind, it seems. Or to annoy me. Don't know which.).  The only other issue I've had that I think was related to the implant was a couple of months before it was due to be replaced, I had the WORST breakouts I've ever had in my life. But they eventually subsided, as well.

Since getting the first implant put in, I've been working in a hospital and I've seen many things... Needles and that just dont phase me anymore so the procedure is not even a blip on my radar at this point.  Think I'm due again next year.

The first implant was put in by my GP about a year after I moved here. She laughed at me because I was like, "It's free? ? ?"

Then the removal / second implant was taken care of by a nurse at the GUM clinic at the hospital.

10/10 would recommend

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2018, 06:53:34 AM »
I will just mention that vasectomies are reversible, and also they don't always work... Sometimes bodies heal the damage!! It's weird.

My husband offered to get the vasectomy because he knew how rough the pill was on me and he didn't feel that it should be all me handle our birth control needs, which is a lovely sentiment. He would have helped me pay for it back in the states when I got my Mirena, but I got it after I left my job and was wrapping up everything to move, it was free through the county I lived in since I wasn't currently earning anything.

• Liked: 239
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2018, 07:25:10 AM »
But the nuvaring didn't bother me in the slightest. 

Hey @KFdancer, did you do nuvaring before your first or in between your two babies? I was on it for a little over 2 years and now have been off it for over a month. How long did it take for you to conceive?
UK Spouse Visa (Priority)
Approved: 1 May 2018

FLR(M) Standard
Approved: 16 June 2021

ILR (SET M) Super Priority
Approved: 29 August 2023

• Liked: 584
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2018, 08:46:13 AM »
Thank God for the menopause!  ;D

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2018, 08:56:30 AM »
Hey @KFdancer, did you do nuvaring before your first or in between your two babies? I was on it for a little over 2 years and now have been off it for over a month. How long did it take for you to conceive?

I was on the Nuvaring for well over 10 years before my first child.

When we decided to try for a baby, I had one period after removal.  And then I was pregnant.  My GP told me to expect it to take a year.  So much for that!

I was on the mini pill between pregnancies.  When we decided to try for our second, we gave it a year.  Decided we were complete with the three of us after that year and I had not been able to get pregnant again.  The next month I was pregnant.  I still have ZERO idea how that happened.  I won't go into detail.

So, fertility is a weird thing.  Pregnant straight away with the first at 33.  Took over a year with the second at 35.  No rhyme or reason.

« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2018, 02:48:46 PM »
Good on you - that's a super reasonable way of thinking.  You can't force anyone else to do anything to their bodies if they're not 100% in agreement, and there are always other options on the table.

I kinda let myself get talked into Nexplanon (I was on the pill when I moved to the UK) rather than making the choice 100% for myself.  It was something we'd discussed a few times but I didn't really want to go through the procedure - not a massive fan of needles and whatnot.

That said, I wouldn't have it any other way. Nexplanon has been an absolute dream.  The first couple of weeks were a bit rough - headaches every day, but they eventually subsided.  The biggest perk has probably been my periods, though. I used to have the WORST, HEAVIEST, CRAMPIEST periods that would last for a week at a time. Now they are practically nonexistent (but still there for peace of mind, it seems. Or to annoy me. Don't know which.).  The only other issue I've had that I think was related to the implant was a couple of months before it was due to be replaced, I had the WORST breakouts I've ever had in my life. But they eventually subsided, as well.

Since getting the first implant put in, I've been working in a hospital and I've seen many things... Needles and that just dont phase me anymore so the procedure is not even a blip on my radar at this point.  Think I'm due again next year.

The first implant was put in by my GP about a year after I moved here. She laughed at me because I was like, "It's free? ? ?"

Then the removal / second implant was taken care of by a nurse at the GUM clinic at the hospital.

10/10 would recommend

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

It's good to see your positive words on Nexplanon. That is the birth control I want. It fits all of my criteria, and I don't mind getting my arm cut open for a minute to insert it. A friend of mine who is a nurse also recommended it. I want birth control that doesn't stress me out (i.e. taking a pill everyday) and that doesn't make me crazy, and still lets me have a period.

Did you experience any weight gain on Nexplanon? I know it's different for every woman.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab