Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Birth Control in the UK  (Read 7925 times)

• Liked: 250
Re: Birth Control in the UK
« Reply #45 on: August 10, 2018, 02:12:46 PM »
Sometimes, I am convinced this is something people do to justify their own bad decisions in their own minds, or maybe because misery loves company. But, other times, I'm convinced it's a capitalist conspiracy to keep producing fuel for the machine. So maybe I'm not to be trusted.

Or maybe I am.  :-\\\\

What I can say is ignore what people tell you. You probably know whether you're "not now" or "never". If you're not sure then assume "not now". But if you are sure then live your life accordingly.

I remember as a child (around age 8 or 9) my cousins would come visit for Christmas. We ranged from age 20-6 months around that time. One of my cousins, who is a year younger than me, would always want to hold the babies and play with the babies and I would get SO annoyed because I wanted to play and she just...always wanted to be motherly. I never felt the desire. Only got worse over time. I stopped enjoying being around children, I don't like playing with them. I'm not mean or anything, but I won't hold someone's child or offer to baby sit. I've pretty much known since I was a child that I didn't want children!

So when people say that to me I kind of roll my eyes and ignore them. I also live in the deep south/bible belt (no offense to any religious here) but they push that on all the women my age. Most women/men want families. It just isn't for me. Thankfully I found a man who's on board!
Married: 14 June 2018
FLR #1: 9 August 2018 (Approved!)
FLR #2: 13 July 2021 (Approved!)

• Liked: 85
« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2018, 09:28:21 PM »
Hello everyone,

This is a pretty personal post, but the question needs to be asked.
I'm moving to the UK (hopefully) this month or September (still awaiting an answer on my visa).

I am 26 years old, but I'm waiting until marriage to have sex. Technically I was married in June but the wedding is 13 October. We're waiting until then. (We had literally one day together as a married couple) I am also not on birth control yet.

Because of my abstinence, I've never needed or wanted to be on birth control. I do not want children and neither does my husband. That being said, once I move over there in the next few weeks I want to start looking into birth control options so we don't have any happy accidents. My periods are really regular and I've never needed birth control for any type of health reason. That being said, I do not want to fully stop my periods. I think if I miss one, I'll panic and think I'm pregnant and I do NOT want that type of anxiety messing with our future..intimacy.

The question is: How do I go about getting birth control when I move to the UK? Do I need to find a gyno, or do I just visit a walk in clinic? I know the healthcare system is much different there than in the US. I can't really afford birth control in the US anyway. I want something like Nexplanon, the implant that I put in and leave alone. Does the UK offer the same birth control options as the US? If they do, what's the cost?

I know this was suuuper personal but I've learned that this forum is the place to go for these kinds of things.

Thanks guys :)

Just browsing the other forums and found this! I haven't read the whole thread, so sorry if this has been covered, but another option you could consider (if you have decent insurance here in the US) is the hormonal IUD. They're good for 5-7 years, and I paid about $20 for mine. I had Mirena inserted December 2014 and have never had a problem with it. The hormones are pretty local and won't affect you in the same way the pill or Nexplanon does (I know a lot of people who have had negative side effects with strong hormones). It is painful, but Advil does the trick for the first few days. After that, it's totally fine. I used to have very painful periods and cramps, and now I get my period a few times a year with minimal pain. And you could have it done before you go so you don't have to worry about BC as soon as you're settling in there.
FLR(M) Timeline:
Application type: Spouse settlement visa extension (super priority)
BRP expiration: Late May 2021
Online application submitted: April 14, 2021
Biometrics appointment: April 25, 2021
Decision made: April 26, 2021 - emailed at 1:40 pm

• Liked: 250
« Reply #47 on: October 29, 2018, 11:36:07 AM »
Hi everyone! Thought I would update:

It took me ages to make an appointment with my local sexual health clinic.  I ended up walking in to make an appt. They ended up doing my consultation that day, then scheduling my appointment for 18 Oct for the implant.

A few of you on here asked me questions about it.  Now that I've had it, here are my
 thoughts.

It was easy.  I'm not super squeamish  so if you are it might bother you. I lied on the table, they numbed  my arm, implant, BAM  done. I had never been on BC before, I was never sexually active I never needed it.  I was nervous about how my body would react to BC. So far, it's been a bit of bruising around the imprint sight(normal), I had dizziness for a few days (normal) a tad of bloating(also normal). I don't know if I am PMSing or not because my period is due on the 30th. But this is my first cycle with the implant so I'm not sure if I'm "experiencing mood changes  and breast soreness" due to the implant or normal PMS. I'll let you know if I have one. 

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Married: 14 June 2018
FLR #1: 9 August 2018 (Approved!)
FLR #2: 13 July 2021 (Approved!)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab