Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Old Houses 100+ years  (Read 3716 times)

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
Re: Old Houses 100+ years
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2018, 09:27:07 AM »
The property is owned by husband’s family and not for sale and they would only sell if forced, it’s been in family for years. So main concern at start would be discovering its so bad in inspection that somehow the government can force tear down or force them fix it costing them money they wouldn’t have had to spend.  I can’t find if that is something that can be legally done here.  If it’s too bad, I want to be able to walk away and just have them continue as is...empty prop.

A survey itself won't deem it a dangerous building. The council would have to be involved  (and most likely the neighbours since it sounds like it's a terraced house?) and have to agree it's a dangerous building.  If it's a dangerous building ,it will need to be made safe (it might include tearing down, but more likely in a terraced house, it would be things like putting up props on the walls,  putting up scaffolding, fixing the leaks in the roof, etc to protect the next buildings, etc). 

Have a watch of "Homes Under the Hammer" if you want to get an idea of just how derelict buildings can be and still be kept, and then the costs involved with bringing them up to date.
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2018, 09:53:03 AM »
I also think you need to keep in mind how sometimes your best intentions just don't go to plan.

Like how you intended to get a bathroom put in but 2 years later you are still squatting over a bucket and heating up water in the kitchen sink for a sponge bath.

Unless you have the money to do a major renovation in a few months time, I wouldn't even consider it.

You will be frustrated that your home improvement plans are extending years and you can barely function in a house with a leaky roof and no toilet.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Can definitely vouch for this. Even if you're the most motivated person with this stuff, life has a way of just getting in the way.
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2018, 12:27:46 PM »
Can definitely vouch for this. Even if you're the most motivated person with this stuff, life has a way of just getting in the way.

And we're on 21 months with a utility room for a kitchen...  ::)
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 6
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2018, 12:22:08 PM »
I also think you need to keep in mind how sometimes your best intentions just don't go to plan.

Like how you intended to get a bathroom put in but 2 years later you are still squatting over a bucket and heating up water in the kitchen sink for a sponge bath.

Unless you have the money to do a major renovation in a few months time, I wouldn't even consider it.

You will be frustrated that your home improvement plans are extending years and you can barely function in a house with a leaky roof and no toilet.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I know I am trying to convince myself I can do it but the moment our rental has something go wrong I am like..I hate this place lol. 

A survey itself won't deem it a dangerous building. The council would have to be involved  (and most likely the neighbours since it sounds like it's a terraced house?) and have to agree it's a dangerous building.  If it's a dangerous building ,it will need to be made safe (it might include tearing down, but more likely in a terraced house, it would be things like putting up props on the walls,  putting up scaffolding, fixing the leaks in the roof, etc to protect the next buildings, etc). 

Have a watch of "Homes Under the Hammer" if you want to get an idea of just how derelict buildings can be and still be kept, and then the costs involved with bringing them up to date.

Will have to see if I can find episodes. 

We can't seem to find plumbers or electricians that 1) can provide work order for us to give to landlord for proof of work, they say they can and then never do. 2) will actually call back or come to property...cant imagine dealing contractors around here.  It's a constant complaint I have when we need to try and get something fixed or get quotes...it turns into me ranting about diff work ethics here vs back home and how this is why business are shutting down blah blah (we are in northeast)...even the accountant  I found forgot to send me the contact until I had to message and say.. "hey what's going on?" I would not have continued with him but I don't want to start searching all over again.

We have gone with what people recommend on facebook hoping to have luck with "word of mouth" referrals but maybe people here are just laid back about standards of service.  I give them my number, they dont call, last guy actually came to look at radiators (furthest we have gotten when asking for quotes) said he would send quote...still waiting.  We had to fix boiler over christmas guy, said he would email invoice and after several requests we got nothing. It's so annoying, landlord seems a bit hands off when it comes to this, I feel he should already have people for us to call for issues or we should report it to him and he should send someone out.
UK Spouse Visa
Arrival to UK:                            3rd May 2017
FLR(M) Application:                1st Jan 2020. [Standard]
FLR(M) Biometrics:                 27th Feb 2020.
FLR(M) Approval:                     6th Mar 2020.

Sponsored Links