Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Help! Still on a US license and need to drive in France  (Read 701 times)

• Liked: 30
Help! Still on a US license and need to drive in France
« on: August 09, 2018, 08:41:05 PM »
Hi everyone,
I've been so focused on sorting out transport for my cat to get to Paris and buying a car for me to be able to pick her up that I didn't think about if I would be allowed to drive in France on a US license. Turns out as of this year, you either need a notarized translation or an International Drivers Permit. My trip is in 3 weeks, so I dont have time for a mail in IDP. I dont have the option of same day at AAA because I'm already in the UK. So that leaves me with the option have a notarized translation of my US license. Where on earth do I find someone that speaks French and English that is also able to notarize things in the UK?? I can find notaries nearby, but I'm at a loss regarding the translation part.

Anyone know what I can do?

Thank you for any help!
Met: Aug 2013
Started Dating: Oct 2013
Engaged: Sept 2017
Online app submitted: 17 Oct 2017
Biometrics & mailed in: 20 Oct 2017
Received by Sheffield: 23 Oct 2017
Decision email:

• Liked: 6110
Re: Help! Still on a US license and need to drive in France
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2018, 08:57:32 PM »
Hi everyone,
I've been so focused on sorting out transport for my cat to get to Paris and buying a car for me to be able to pick her up that I didn't think about if I would be allowed to drive in France on a US license. Turns out as of this year, you either need a notarized translation or an International Drivers Permit. My trip is in 3 weeks, so I dont have time for a mail in IDP. I dont have the option of same day at AAA because I'm already in the UK. So that leaves me with the option have a notarized translation of my US license. Where on earth do I find someone that speaks French and English that is also able to notarize things in the UK?? I can find notaries nearby, but I'm at a loss regarding the translation part.

Anyone know what I can do?

Thank you for any help!

Maybe @jimbocz  will pop by to confirm if that is what you need but I just googled "notarised translations UK" and a ton came up. You can probably have it done remotely.

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2018, 08:02:12 AM »
Sorry, no knowledge here.  I always drove to France on a UK license unless I did it by a accident a long time ago.

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2018, 08:10:55 AM »
I’d say keep googling.  If you can’t drive, and it’s a super-emergency, Pm me and I’ll pick you up from the Calais TGv station and take you through the tunnel.  It’s got to be a weekend though.

Or, just keep trying with the notary.  You should find something.  Or just find a UK driver who will go with you and make sure they are insured. 

Also, be sure to buy stuff you will need to drive in France before you go.  I think you need a triangle and a breathalyser and a bulb kit ......

• Liked: 30
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2018, 11:24:24 AM »
I was able to send the application and passport photos to my mom online and have her print them so she could apply for the IDP for me! So emergency solved. @jimbocz thank you so much for the offer. We've got the "France kit" all ready to go! Plus some "P" stickers so people expect my driving to be... a bit off :P
Met: Aug 2013
Started Dating: Oct 2013
Engaged: Sept 2017
Online app submitted: 17 Oct 2017
Biometrics & mailed in: 20 Oct 2017
Received by Sheffield: 23 Oct 2017
Decision email:

• Liked: 718
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2018, 12:58:44 PM »
I was able to send the application and passport photos to my mom online and have her print them so she could apply for the IDP for me! So emergency solved. @jimbocz thank you so much for the offer. We've got the "France kit" all ready to go! Plus some "P" stickers so people expect my driving to be... a bit off :P

Great news, well done!!
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

Sponsored Links